View Diary: "I could have made myself an omelet too, but that would have meant no eggs for the weekend." (102 comments)

•  A tip (12+ / 0-)

Call a dentist now to get your appointment as soon as possible after your insurance goes into effect. There may be a huge backlog of people who've gone years without treatment, and even under usual circumstances it sometimes takes several weeks to get an appointment. I have a dentist appointment next week that I made in September.

Good luck to you. I hope the new year brings you new and helpful and affordable glasses to see your nice, new, healthy set of teeth.

Ridiculous that it ever came to this, and criminal that many are fighting to return to the status quo ante.

The Bush Family: 0 for 4 in Wisconsin

by Korkenzieher on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 10:36:53 AM PST

•  Is dental covered on many policies? (8+ / 0-)

(I am on Medicare and Medicaid and there is no $$ provision for any dental care. Had to pay for tooth removal and postpone much other work needed.)

But I am aware you are talking about paid health insurance which when I had it didn't cover dental at all. I'm curious to know.

"extreme concentration of income is incompatible with real democracy.... the truth is that the whole nature of our society is at stake." Paul Krugman

by Gorette on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 10:42:34 AM PST

•  It depends, I think (8+ / 0-)

My company's plan has a dental provision that's billed separately from the health provisions.  Copays are different, out of pocket maximums are different, etc.

Thankfully the dentist I go to has reasonable prices, but I hit my maximum coverage every year without fail when I have serious work to get done.

(Exactly one week from today I'm having a wisdom tooth extracted.  Not looking forward to that.)

The Cake is a lie. In Pie there is Truth. ~ Fordmandalay

by catwho on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 10:48:53 AM PST

•  iirc there are some Medicare Advantage (8+ / 0-)

plans which have $0 premiums and $10 copay for preventive dental care. I seems to recall seeing that in the flood of brochures the advantage plans are sending me.

I've been paying for my dental care out of pocket, but with cleaning  & exam inching upward of $150, I've had to skip some appointments. So if the Advantage plan will do what the brochure says, it will be worth it to me. And at point I don't really care whether I can "keep" "my" dentist or not.

"I don't love writing, but I love having written" ~ Dorothy Parker // Visit my Handmade Gallery on Zibbet

by jan4insight on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 10:51:17 AM PST

•  do you not have preventative dental care? (6+ / 0-)

Hope you do. I am on same and have preventative care, check ups and cleaning twice a year. Until last year they paid for fillings as well but don't any longer.

I think what Medicaid covers may vary by state. I get vision and glasses as well. It is a blessing.

•  Nope. Here in FL, none for me. no vision either. (1+ / 0-)
          jplanner

by Gorette on Fri Nov 15, 2013 at 10:49:35 AM PST

•  Oh, but Coastal dot com offers first pair (0+ / 0-)

of glasses free! You need the prescription though.

by Gorette on Fri Nov 15, 2013 at 10:50:16 AM PST

•  so funny you mention this (1+ / 0-)
              Gorette

I just this week attempted to order from them! They do not warn you that if your prescription is strong (nowhere does it warn you at all let alone say how strong),.this offer does not apply for lenses. The charge for.lenses just shows up unexplained in the cart when you go to check out. I thought it was kind of slippery since we all do pay some fees for shipping and handling some may not notice extra charge. I had to call them to find out what it was.
              That said it was only $40 or so. There are other places online to get glasses at that price such as 39dollarglasses.com. I am looking at this keyboard through a pair of theirs as I type this.

No doubt it is very good to.tell people about these online stores...some prices are 1/10th of what you would pay.in a store. And you can get prescription from your old glasses if needed...I called the.last place I got.them. Also need interpupillary distance measurement.

Glad you brought it up!

•  Mine were 100% free as I don't have unusual or (0+ / 0-)

progressive lenses. Sorry forgot to point that out.

Shipping free as well.

Then ordered from the 2/$95 frames and got those both for less, for $89. with NO shipping or handling. Had to send one pair back, they covered that shipping and no other charges.

That's why I felt they were excellent.

But sorry your script doesn't fit that formula!

Yes, one reason I mentioned them is cause they did a good job with the lenses, which I guess some online companies don't.

by Gorette on Sat Nov 16, 2013 at 10:40:38 AM PST

•  point is lack of honesty, which you didn't have (1+ / 0-)
                  Gorette

I am nearsighted, nothing special. It is on a strong side but not extreme. I know many people  who have Rx like mine and in the dozens of times I bought glasses including several online I have not been told they are unusual or cost more.

It is their right not to give whoever the special deal but they say Free all over their site and there is never an indication it wouldn't be.  Not ok of them to not explain it anywhere but just put a charge in your cart when you are checking out...again the charge for lenses is not explained.

Shipping and handling is not currently advertised as free so someone expects to pay something. I am sure many do not notice the charge. It is slippery and dishonest or really dumb to slip in an unexplained charge. I spent an hour selecting their glasses...it takes a long time...For Nothing. Wasted my time. Disrespectful of them and not ethical. I am sure they assume most people will just pay it after spending so long but some of us can't and would rather not have wasted our time.

•  sorry to hear it (1+ / 0-)
            Gorette

It must be because I'm in MA. Generous. I will remember to be grateful.

•  Yes, I lived in MA for 25 years. Now, unfortu- (1+ / 0-)
              jplanner

nately am in FL because this is where my family is.

I LOVE the Boston area. Miss it. Yes, appreciate it!

by Gorette on Sat Nov 16, 2013 at 10:42:45 AM PST

•  By the way dental on medicaid depends on state (6+ / 0-)

I know we don't here in California, but how that happened I do not know.

Medical insurance does not cover general dental, you need a separate insurance policy. I think these policies are a total rip off, I bet they have huge profits.

Where ignorance is our master, there is no possibility of real peace. - Dalai Lama

by kimoconnor on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 12:52:26 PM PST

•  We used to. We elected some screwed up (3+ / 0-)

politicians.  In '09 they cut everything from podiatry to dental.

Because it's better when diabetics lose feet, or when people wind up in the ER thanks to septic abscesses instead of getting teeth pulled.

We're finally making some headway again.  Maybe.

It's really sad that Judges have to keep forcing the Democratic government we elected to fix the mess we elected them to fix.  Brown has certainly had enough time, and a Republican-Proof 2/3rds, to fix this crap if he gave a shit.

"I read New republic and Nation/I've learned to take every view.." P. Ochs

by JesseCW on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 06:36:23 PM PST

•  Mine is separate (1+ / 0-)
        Horace Boothroyd III

I'm one of the 0.00001% of Americans that has primo medical and dental. I have BCBS for medical, and a completely different provider for dental. I think that's normal; that you have different policies for general medical and dental.

The Bush Family: 0 for 4 in Wisconsin

by Korkenzieher on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 02:25:25 PM PST

•  Meanwhile... (3+ / 0-)

Warm salt water rinses at least twice a day (swish around vigorously, but do not swallow) will help fight any mouth infections. Salt is anti-septic. It works.

curious portal - to a world of paintings, lyric-poems, art writing, and graphic and web design

by asterkitty on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 03:16:06 PM PST