View Diary: New Yorkers Abusing Wildlife for Amusement (53 comments)

•  Some dog people are kind of weird. (1+ / 0-)
    ban nock

They get their aggressions out through their animals.

I've noticed that at various "bark in the park" type events where guys who own big dogs seem to get a kick out of their dogs scaring the smaller animals.

And, yeah, I've seen majorly dorky guys use their dogs to kill rabbits for kicks -- I assume they're living through their dogs or something.

•  That said, rodents are a problem. (2+ / 0-)
      Terrapin, ban nock

Obviously, the best way to control them is to control their food sources.

(Ironically, one of their most common food sources is dog feces.)

•  why can't we peacefully coexist? (0+ / 0-)

They have as much right to be here as we do, they were here first too.

“Conservation… is a positive exercise of skill and insight, not merely a negative exercise of abstinence and caution…” Aldo Leopold

by ban nock on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 05:53:06 AM PST

•  The problem is, in the city, even if we were all (2+ / 0-)
          ban nock, duckhunter

lifesaving pacifists, the rats wouldn't cooperate.  Just because they were here first, do you propose we let them run our lives?

They run rampant through many apartments and spread disease, and bite as well.  I have first hand and lots of second hand knowledge of this.

I am only responding to your comment above, as it appears to me to be naive and simplistic when held up against the reality of urban living.  How do you propose we peacefully coexist with the rats in our apartments?

(Note that I cannot fathom cruelty to animals, but I would kill a rat - as humanely as possible - if it was in my personal living space.  Same goes for roaches.)

I agree with your overall sentiment, and your view on living things; but if there was a creeping deadly algae, let's say, or some other form of organism in your environment that threatened you, what would you do?

Please know I am not rude. I cannot rec anything from this browser. When I rec or post diaries I am a guest at some exotic locale's computer. Ayn is the bane!

by Floyd Blue on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 06:56:33 AM PST

•  What of bedbugs? (1+ / 0-)
            ban nock

by Floyd Blue on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 06:57:23 AM PST

•  I can certainly see your point, and I agree with (2+ / 0-)
            43north, Thinking Fella

you. All I'd ask in return is that you see mine.

I've got a little 8 year old girl. Small one, probably not over 45lbs, maybe 50. When we go walking I always place her between me and my 10 year old boy just like the ranger told us to do. The cats got another kid just about her size a few years ago. It's rare but it happens. We actually have a surplus of cats here, our biologists have increase the length and added a hunting season. They also have the most relaxed rules as to sex, they don't care male of female. We have so many excess cats that they've depleted deer populations and they wander down into town following the deer who are afraid of being eaten.

People from the city make rules about how and if we can work to reduce the population of cats. We don't want to exterminate them or even cause them to suffer. Yet no one seems to understand what it's like to have so many. They also want to bring in larger predators, which is actually fine with us, up to a point. We just ask to be able to control how many there are so they don't eat us out of house  and home or create a danger.

by ban nock on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 07:08:08 AM PST

•  not sure this is true (2+ / 0-)
          ban nock, duckhunter

Were rats native to the Americas? Or were they, as I suspect, brought here as stowaways on European ships?

The book "Rats, Lice, and History" traces the difficult history of trying to coexist -- bubonic plague and a few other major and minor disruptions being the easy answer to "why can't we just get along?"

Poor NYC parents whose children have been bitten by rats while sleeping might also question the "just leave them alone" policy.

•  wolves and grizzly are also not native to the (0+ / 0-)

Americas. New Mexico parents build cages for their kids who are being stalked to wait for the school bus and some people laugh at them and make fun of them.

Lots of wildlife has problems related to them being around. We are happy enough to have them we just wish that those of us who are familiar with living with them day to day had more input in deciding how to manage them, or at least allow our government scientists to work with us unimpeded by laws suits from far away cities where people know little of our day to day lives.

by ban nock on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 07:48:30 AM PST

•  Actually, they weren't here first, we brought (0+ / 0-)

them. There are native rats, a couple of three species still barely hanging on, iirc. (In CA, for example, there is the dusky-footed woodrat (Neotoma fuscipes) surviving in small numbers here and there.) The rats they are deploying against in NY and most other urban areas are primarily old world rats, rattus rattus and rattus norvegicus that came to the new world by ship.

That, in its essence, is fascism--ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or by any other controlling private power. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt --

by enhydra lutris on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 10:38:49 AM PST

•  I often wonder about that (0+ / 0-)

There seems to be a certain personality type that goes

"I've got this big tough dog so that must make me a big tough guy".

If the pilot's good, see, I mean if he's reeeally sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... oh you oughta see it sometime. It's a sight. A big plane like a '52... varrrooom! Its jet exhaust... frying chickens in the barnyard!

by Major Kong on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 05:44:17 AM PST

•  women too, sometimes more so (0+ / 0-)

by ban nock on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 05:50:13 AM PST