View Diary: Fed Court: Ministers now have to pay income tax on their "free housing" (323 comments)

•  I'm not saying they should get special treatment. (3+ / 0-)

I'm just saying they're going to be affected by this. Which is why I have a hard time celebrating it.

Code Monkey like freedom / Code Monkey like peace and justice too
    Code Monkey very nerdy man / With big warm fuzzy bleeding heart
    Code Monkey like you!

Formerly known as Jyrinx.

by Code Monkey on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 07:35:48 PM PST

•  Yeah, equal treatment for special people who (10+ / 0-)

have been receiving special treatment is, I guess, hard to celebrate. I mean, I admit to being a proponent of equality for all, but I know that is a minority view.

That, in its essence, is fascism--ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or by any other controlling private power. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt --

by enhydra lutris on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 08:10:21 PM PST

•  Oh, FFS. Really? (5+ / 0-)

Some good people are going to get the short end of the stick here, and I'm not allowed to feel bad about that even as I acknowledge that it's an unfortunate repercussion of the correct ruling and sound policy?

Do I not get to be on your side unless I remember to be scornful of all the same people you are and cheer no matter what befalls them?

Again, THIS WAS THE CORRECT OUTCOME.

Code Monkey like freedom / Code Monkey like peace and justice too
        Code Monkey very nerdy man / With big warm fuzzy bleeding heart
        Code Monkey like you!

Formerly known as Jyrinx.

by Code Monkey on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 09:57:51 PM PST

•  Affected by having special privileges removed? (9+ / 0-)

Yeah, it's tough being treated just like all the other common folk when you've had a special exemption for '...Well, just because'. Imagine, a minister being no more special than a cab driver. Shocking! Personally, I find it some cause for celebration as equality in action. Both can do good works. Both should be taxed.

•  Yes, there's cause for celebration. (2+ / 0-)
        Word Alchemy, JesseCW

Just please remember these aren't all televangelists and Rick Warrens being affected negatively by this. In fact, they'll barely notice.

(Also, taxi services aren't generally nonprofits.)

Code Monkey like freedom / Code Monkey like peace and justice too
        Code Monkey very nerdy man / With big warm fuzzy bleeding heart
        Code Monkey like you!

Formerly known as Jyrinx.

by Code Monkey on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 10:01:02 PM PST

•  Rick Warren will barely notice. So true. (0+ / 0-)

Politics is like driving. To go backward put it in R. To go forward put it in D.
          Drop by The Grieving Room on Monday nights for support in dealing with grief.

by TrueBlueMajority on Sat Nov 23, 2013 at 09:21:58 AM PST

•  Non-profit is a horseshit smokescreen 1) (1+ / 0-)
          War on Error

ministers and priests aren't non-profits, they are people, generally wage earners.

2) Churches generally aren't non-profits either except for tax purposes and even there they get special treatment and special dispensation. Various churches have amassed enormous wealth. They make huge economic and/or accounting profits, simply not tax profits, allegedly because they are prophets, but that is irrational nonsense.

by enhydra lutris on Sat Nov 23, 2013 at 10:19:09 AM PST

•  Someone taught me in my youth (0+ / 0-)

go get yourself a non-profit

It's a license to make money and keep it.

No kidding.

I've been reading 990 tax returns for non-religious non-profits like the Walton Foundation.

These non-profits make a ton of money from investing each year.  The Walton Foundation makes interest loaning money out to build Charter School buildings, for example.

The IRS tax code isn't broken, it's working perfectly well for the 1%

It's difficult to be happy knowing so many suffer. We must unite.

by War on Error on Sat Nov 23, 2013 at 12:31:07 PM PST