View Diary: Fed Court: Ministers now have to pay income tax on their "free housing" (323 comments)

•  Personally I strongly believe (2+ / 0-)
    jeffrey789, gffish

that those who spout homophobia like Perkins need to put in prison.

I would support mandatory deprogramming for racists and homophobes, with those who cannot be deprogrammed placed in prison for life.

Don't call these racist thugs the tea party, they are *teabaggers*! Please don't insult the original Tea Party as they were patriots. Call them TeaBaggers!

by TeaBaggersAreRacists on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 10:05:28 PM PST

•  Ahhh...Another Clockwork Orange fan... (3+ / 0-)
      DrTerwilliker, ogre, nextstep
    •  Thanks for your 2 cents, Mao (2+ / 0-)
      ogre, nextstep

You know, noone reads your little Red Book anymore.
      Its been replaced by the latest Neiman Marcus catalogue.

•  This is America. (2+ / 0-)
      Catte Nappe, nextstep

Perkins is free--and ought to be free--to express his homophobia. (No-one, of course, ought to be free to advocate violence against others.)

Perkins was born in the Free Speech Zone. So was I, and, I'll bet, so were you.

There is this First Amendment thing. It allows you to call people TeaBaggers, and to assert that they are racists. It allows me to disrespect any establishment of religion, if I want. It also allows Perkins to spew his venom.

"There is just one way to save yourself, and that's to get together and work and fight for everybody." ---Woody Guthrie (quoted by Jim Hightower in The Progressive Populist April 1, 2012, p3)

by CitizenJoe on Sat Nov 23, 2013 at 06:09:19 AM PST

•  I just strongly disagree with you (0+ / 0-)

There are limits to the reach of the First Amendment.
        This idea that it is completely absolute is fairly new and pretty wrong.  It is that kind of extreme twisting of the interpretation of the meaning of the First Amendment that got us shit decisions like Citizens United.

Racist, misogynistic, homophobic hate speech is not protected by the First Amendment, IMO.  The government has a "compelling interest" in stopping this kind of speech because it does considerable harm to society, and the speech itself has little to no value.  And I don't buy the "slippery slope" argument either.  If I were a judge, I would have no problem upholding a law (or FCC regulation) that would ban Rush Limbaugh from the airways or Tony Perkins from spewing harmful hate toward gays and lesbians.

by TeaBaggersAreRacists on Sat Nov 23, 2013 at 06:24:32 AM PST

•  I don't know anyone who thinks that-- (1+ / 0-)
          Catte Nappe

--the First Amendment "is completely absolute." Do you?

Where we disagree, I think, is about the limits. I don't think that speech has to be valuable in order to be protected, and I think it has to be shown to be very harmful in order to be prohibited--on the order of shouting "Fire" in the proverbial crowded theater. So, "Kill the Gays, and here is a list, with their addresses," ought to be prohibited, and it is. But "God hates fags" is loathsome and legal. And I don't want those loathsome haters sent to prison, or to re-education camps.

by CitizenJoe on Sat Nov 23, 2013 at 08:16:08 AM PST

•  Actually I do (0+ / 0-)

Plenty of commenters here on Daily Kos seem to dabble in First Amendment absolutist extremism.

by TeaBaggersAreRacists on Sat Nov 23, 2013 at 08:19:25 AM PST

•  Citation? "First Amendment absolutist extremism." (1+ / 0-)
              Catte Nappe

I can't think of one commenter here who has argued that the First Amendment is "completely absolute." Now, I don't read every one of the comments--who could--but it's hard for me to believe I've missed every one of the "Plenty of commenters here" that you indicate.
              Could you cite a few comments that so indicate?

I'm with the ACLU and the guy from Miami. Maybe that makes me (and them) extremist. I want free speech for Ollie North, Rush Limbaugh, and the FlushRush heroes, too.

"Defend the bastards."
                                           - from a Miami man who sent a check to the ACLU to assist in the 1977 defense of the Nazi's right to march in Skokie, Illinois
              Thanks.