View Diary: Handcuffed 17-year-old shot dead while in back of police car (99 comments)

•  HOLD ON. (4+ / 0-)
    pvasileff, patbahn, niemann, duhban

What give's you guys the right to judge at this moment?

How many facts are on the table?  I see very, very few.

These police officers could be totally upfront, honest individuals that some here have chosen to preemptively besmirch.

While I find the possibility of police wrongdoing absolutely disgusting, I find the hanging before trial mob mentality totally out of line.

If this suspect had a gun that was missed in a pat down, it is VERY possible that suspect could retrieve said gun and place a shot to the head.  That's not snark.  You'd be surprised how much freedom of movement one has in handcuffs, especially if somewhat flexible.

There isn't a shred of evidence.  Save your energy and find out what happened FIRST.  If these officers are innocent, everyone here trashing them is guilty.

"So what if a guy threw a shoe at me!"

by FoodChillinMFr on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 07:03:41 PM PST

•  Ignore the typos. nt (1+ / 0-)
      duhban

"So what if a guy threw a shoe at me!"

by FoodChillinMFr on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 07:04:23 PM PST

•  I'll gladly challenge your comment (3+ / 0-)
      stunvegas, Hayate Yagami, caul

Impossible. He was executed.

•  Where exactly is the mob mentality? (7+ / 0-)

I called it implausible, conflicting and tragic, that is all. I'm not jumping to conclusions. I think it needs to be looked at more closely, that is all.

And for the record, I have been handcuffed and in the back of a police car. Obviously people's flexibility, reach etc. is different, but there is no way I could have personally shot myself in the head.

•  me no way but someone double jointed? (2+ / 0-)
        FoodChillinMFr, duhban

easy enough

•  Remember, the gun was apparently hidden well (2+ / 0-)
          caul, corvo

enough to elude a standard pat-down. Where are you imagining the gun starts out before our double-jointed perp gets his hands on it?

Code Monkey like freedom / Code Monkey like peace and justice too
          Code Monkey very nerdy man / With big warm fuzzy bleeding heart
          Code Monkey like you!

Formerly known as Jyrinx.

by Code Monkey on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 10:17:12 PM PST

•  that's not necessarily true (1+ / 0-)
            patbahn

pat downs are not infallible and some just have piss poor technique.

Assuming the weapon was missed that doesn't mean it was hidden in some super hard to reach spot. There's a lot of details we need to fill in before we can even begin to judge which account is more likely.

Der Weg ist das Ziel

by duhban on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 10:41:27 PM PST

•  lets see what the reports say. (0+ / 0-)

I think it's important you keep the spotlight on,
            but the heat down.

if this is bad, it's murder 2 and murder under color
            of law.

if this is just stupid police procedure and trust me
            there is plenty of that, mixed with some sadistic
            patrol officer trying to scare the kid to death,
            well, then it's just a sad story.

What this really talks to is the need for the
            police to have cameras in the squadcars.

The police putting dash cams on has done a tremendous
            amount to reduce uncertainty on police incidents.

if we had a car cam, showing what went on, then
            it would be a whole different level of uncertainty.

But if its a cold shoot, shot to the head from above, well,
            then someone is getting 12-25.  but if it's a rising shot from behind at close quarters, and the gun traces to the kid,
            well, dang. It's a tragedy.

but keep the light on this.

•  I was referring to the comments. (1+ / 0-)
        duhban

Sorry about that.  Most comments just assume it was the police that killed this kid.

The evidence is so thin that nobody here should be making any conclusions.  Anyone making comments claiming officers executed a teen and doing so without a shred of evidence, is being irresponsible.

But again, I was referring to the comments.  I also appreciate your edit above.

"So what if a guy threw a shoe at me!"

by FoodChillinMFr on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 08:19:24 PM PST

•  There is no evidence he shot himself yet either (4+ / 0-)

except the word of the policeman.
          Like we got to hear George Z's story but Trayvon wasn't talking.

It could be possible to shoot ones self accidentally or on purpose while handling a gun while handcuffed. Ob what did you base it being "VERY possible"? Have you done it, seen studies? How did the possibility earn a Very?

We don't have facts and many cops are probably quite decent. It would also be an odd time to shoot someone, having driven him to the station already. None of that over-heated adrenaline stuff unless the cop was quick tempered and this was a really mouthy kid. If the cop was that bad he'd have some record of it.

But forgive people's suspicions. Bad cops bring that down on all cops.
          and while you don't appreciate "hanging before trial mob mentality" being suspicious or doubtful is not the same as hanging mentality, it is simply not taking their word for what happened.
          and luckily whatever our opinion is it will not get him hung or make him dead.

•  I corrected the line (1+ / 0-)
      FoodChillinMFr

that I think you must be referring to. I didn't mean to imply we know the police shot Huerta because we don't.

•  problem is.... (3+ / 0-)
      Code Monkey, caul, corvo

....I don't trust cops to give us the truth.  It is just one group of cops investigating another group of cops and even if they are not covering up for one and another they are given huge, canyon like, benefit of the doubt.  Until there is a independent civilian investigation before the evidence is tampered with, with family representatives present I cannot trust any 'investigation' into what happened.

Too many examples of police misconduct and breach of trust to believe what they say.

We Glory in war, in the shedding of human blood. What fools we are.

by delver rootnose on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 08:52:48 PM PST

•  Because the police are being verrrry quiet (2+ / 0-)
      Code Monkey, caul

Look, if he shot himself the cops would say so.

Unless, of course, the kid hid the gun after he shot himself. THAT would explain everything!

• Recommended (148)
  • Education (18)
  • Hillary Clinton (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Racism (17)
  • Politics (17)
  • Media (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site