View Diary: Handcuffed 17-year-old shot dead while in back of police car (99 comments)

•  I'll wait to see what the facts say (0+ / 0-)

though frankly if a cop was going to execute someone (as multiple people has absurdly declared here) this would be one of the dumbest ways to do it.

I'd ask for people to keep an open mind but that would be wasting my breath.

Der Weg ist das Ziel

by duhban on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 10:03:47 PM PST

•  Yeah. I doubt it was deliberate. n/t (2+ / 0-)
      caul, corvo

Code Monkey like freedom / Code Monkey like peace and justice too
      Code Monkey very nerdy man / With big warm fuzzy bleeding heart
      Code Monkey like you!

Formerly known as Jyrinx.

by Code Monkey on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 10:15:00 PM PST

•  I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was acidental (0+ / 0-)

but the ballistics report should be very illuminating.

Der Weg ist das Ziel

by duhban on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 10:18:43 PM PST

•  Assuming it's done honestly. n/t (2+ / 0-)
          duhban, corvo

Code Monkey like freedom / Code Monkey like peace and justice too
          Code Monkey very nerdy man / With big warm fuzzy bleeding heart
          Code Monkey like you!

Formerly known as Jyrinx.

by Code Monkey on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 10:23:04 PM PST

•  in this day and age it's not really a bad (1+ / 0-)
            Code Monkey

assumption given the media and exposure this is going to get. I don't doubt if the report shows the officer had nothing to do with that some people will dig their heels. But if you think about how quickly the news travels now a days and so on occam's razor suggest the police have more interest in being honest then not.

Der Weg ist das Ziel

by duhban on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 10:34:34 PM PST

•  let me add (1+ / 0-)
            Code Monkey

that part of the incentive to being honest is that it's not exactly hard to officially obtain the records of said investigation to be peer reviewed.

Der Weg ist das Ziel

by duhban on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 10:36:17 PM PST

•  Okay, that's good then. (1+ / 0-)
              duhban

Consider my cynicism somewhat lessened :-)

Code Monkey like freedom / Code Monkey like peace and justice too
              Code Monkey very nerdy man / With big warm fuzzy bleeding heart
              Code Monkey like you!

Formerly known as Jyrinx.

by Code Monkey on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 10:41:28 PM PST

•  don't get me wrong I think you should keep your (1+ / 0-)
                Code Monkey

cynicism and skepticism. I certainly am and no matter what happened that young man died in police custody and as such that's on the officer that had him in custody. That's a huge professional failing but I don't think it likely that the investigation will be anything but professional and though.

Also I wanted to point out it's entirely possible that he wasn't trying to kill himself. If you accept he had the weapon he could have simply been trying to hide it better either on his person or in the cruiser and the gun simply went off. But even if that's the case see my first point. Right now there's too many questions and not enough answers.

You have a good night (unless you have further questions in which case I'll try and answer).

Der Weg ist das Ziel