View Diary: 149th Anniversary of the Sand Creek Massacre of Nov. 29th, 1864 (32 comments)

•  Adolph Hitler knew of the 1800s U.S. and European (6+ / 0-)

colonial powers genocides against indigenous populations within their respective empires -- and/or the former's willingness to look the other way when it occurred in places like Armenia, in the years leading up to the rise of Nazism. He thus knew it was unlikely his own oppression and eventual industrial extermination of "vermin" would provoke much of a special reaction from the West. Great role model, eh?

"Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob." -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

by Kombema on Fri Nov 29, 2013 at 04:04:20 PM PST

•  There are no words. (7+ / 0-)

Plus, some of the so-called eugenics experiments conducted by Mengele and his ilk were based on principles devised in the U.S. (and implemented to some limited extent here too).
      This country has much to answer for.

Support Small Business: Shop Kos Katalogue If you'd like to join the Motor City Kossacks, send me a Kosmail.

by peregrine kate on Fri Nov 29, 2013 at 04:24:10 PM PST

•  Adolph Hitler did draw inspiration from (6+ / 0-)

the Native American genocides -- or so I have read. (for instance, here.)

In much the same way, the (former) South African government drew the inspiration for apartheid from Jim Crow in the South.

So much for American Exceptionalism (tm).

And God said, "Let there be light"; and with a Big Bang, there was light. And God said "Ow! Ow My eyes!" and in a flash God separated light from darkness. "Whew! Now that's better. Now where was I. Oh yea . . ."

by Pale Jenova on Fri Nov 29, 2013 at 04:55:18 PM PST

•  Kombema (5+ / 0-)

Maybe a year before this massacre, the largest mass execution in American history happened.

Check here, & make note that Spielberg made no mention of this in his "tribute" to Lincoln.

I spoke with Winter Rabbit about this a number of years ago. (maybe on another blog)

I`m already against the next war.

by Knucklehead on Fri Nov 29, 2013 at 05:18:29 PM PST

•  Ugh. Yeah, I remember reading something less (5+ / 0-)

detailed about that, Knucklehead -- thanks for the link. Very disturbing. Lincoln was probably the greatest president, but he certainly had his flaws. Just sickening, that episode.

by Kombema on Fri Nov 29, 2013 at 06:47:24 PM PST

•  Kombema (5+ / 0-)

A number of years ago I wondered why the choice was made to sculpt these four men in stone, & on what I believed was Native American ancestral soil.
          Once I started into it I became interested enough to dig deeper.
          In the Library of Congress I found disturbing facts about all four that changed my perception of them, one formed from a history written by the victors.
          I learned many things from that library. Things that many people would not fathom, especially about the cultures & peoples, pre-colonization/pre-genocide.
          It used to be quite a place here.
          Thank you for listening.

I`m already against the next war.

by Knucklehead on Fri Nov 29, 2013 at 07:26:11 PM PST

•  And thank you for telling. I'd be interested to (3+ / 0-)
            Knucklehead, Winter Rabbit, US Blues

hear more, maybe in a diary?

One thing I am over the years is capable of hearing harsh truths. The only way to prevent history from repeating the same themes is to know what people are capable of, and how history is written, distorted, elided, swept under the rug, etc.  While the ones on Rushmore might be less villains than those on Stone Mountain in Georgia, in some cases they gave them a run for their money.

by Kombema on Fri Nov 29, 2013 at 08:11:57 PM PST

•  Kombema (4+ / 0-)

I`d have to try & locate all my notes on the research I did.
              I started on a Thanksgiving day at the time & is the reason I really don`t celebrate that day in the traditional Pilgrim Indians Cranberries & turkey kind of way.
              It`s much more personal for us here in Knucklehead Knolls.
              I haven`t posted a diary in quite a while & when I do they are mostly themed photo diaries.
              I did a weekly series on the gulf coast every Friday for the duration of the oil "spill"/disaster.
              They show what lives beneath the surface not simply a few oil covered ducks & tar balls, the images that BP chose, to try & diminish the scope of the horrible disaster.
              You may want to go take a peek in my archives to give you an idea.
              Then come back & tell me whether you`d really want me to write a diary on such a complicated issue as the genocide of hundreds & hundreds of different tribes numbering from mere dozens of members to some in the multiple hundreds.

A sample;

I`m already against the next war.

by Knucklehead on Fri Nov 29, 2013 at 08:37:13 PM PST

•  I'm not Kombena obviously, but (1+ / 0-)
                US Blues

in response to your query re: a diary about genocide perpetrated against Native people in the past 500+ years--that's really up to you. Such a task does require a lot of research and care, and it is extremely draining to review the historical record regarding such atrocities. You already know that better than I.

Then, once you publish, it's uncertain whether the response you'd get would be satisfying. Of course, there is a passionate and exceptionally well-informed group here devoted to Native rights and remembering Native history; you probably know all of that much better than I as well.

Still, there are serious limits to deep dialogue here on the site; even the very best, most developed and thoughtful diaries tend to get only quick comments (though of course there are important and meaningful exceptions). You made a similar observation in the comment thread for this very diary. Over time, I think a body of work and a set of resources, especially links to other references, has been developed here relative to Native history, for good and ill, that can and undoubtedly will be expanded. I have no doubt a contribution like yours would be valuable to that end.

Yet you might be better off devoting your time and energy for such a project in writing an e-book. Just a thought.

Now, this is NOT to say that I would refrain from reading such a diary--and there would be many other folks here who would be grateful for the documentation (so to speak--it's not a topic to make anyone happy).

I'm sure all of this is familiar to you, given your tenure at the site. Wanted to acknowledge the complexity of issues for your offer all the same.

by peregrine kate on Fri Nov 29, 2013 at 09:54:28 PM PST

•  peregrine kate (2+ / 0-)
                  US Blues, Kombema

Thank you for your comment, but I must admit to you & others that I am in no way qualified to do a diary on this subject which as you say spans centuries.
                  It would take more years than I have left to produce a worthy diary.
                  I had alluded to that in my comment & showed an example of the kind of diary I`m familiar with.
                  Besides all of that, there should be an emotional connection involved that I do not have, that being that I`m not native to this country.
                  My connection is more of personal feelings about how humans go to great lengths to inflict harm on others.

I know my limitations quite well, though one of them is not to stifle my learning. I`m just a curious man.

My tenure here does not reflect on my knowledge of an issue.
                  A person with a PHD on the subject who registered here tomorrow would know a million times more than I on the subject.
                  Thank you though for suggesting it.
                  My head almost started to swell up.
                  I said, "almost".
                  Good evening & try to stay warm.
                  The view from my back yard.

FUTURE WORLD 2

I`m already against the next war.

by Knucklehead on Fri Nov 29, 2013 at 10:23:32 PM PST

•  On the other hand, if you have seen material or (0+ / 0-)

gained insight that would be interesting to those of us who believe in shining light on this type of history -- and being reminded of it often, then even a non-comprehensive, even short diary would be welcome. Not everyone here has to be an expert or thorough. It would even be interesting to hear of your exploration as you note in the context of Thanksgiving's history, and what you found on that journey.

No PhD needed!

by Kombema on Sat Nov 30, 2013 at 11:48:54 AM PST

•  peregrin kate (2+ / 0-)
                  US Blues, Kombema

One little thing.

Wanted to acknowledge the complexity of issues for your offer all the same.
                  I didn`t offer to write a diary on the subject.
                  It was suggested that maybe I could.

And in response, basically discouraging that suggestion

You may want to go take a peek in my archives to give you an idea.
                  No harm, no foul.

I`m already against the next war.

by Knucklehead on Fri Nov 29, 2013 at 10:34:52 PM PST

•  All fair enough, Knucklehead. (1+ / 0-)
                    US Blues

I will admit I did not comprehend the point you were trying to make in linking to that diary of yours.
                    On the other hand, I don't think I went so far as to urge you to write one; I was instead attempting to point out the problems inherent in addressing a very difficult and complex issue in a diary here.
                    So, while I appreciate your demurral, it seems to me that the net result is that we're reaching the same conclusion.  Better not to write given what we each acknowledge.
                    That's a constructive decision to reach. No harm, no foul indeed.

by peregrine kate on Sat Nov 30, 2013 at 05:34:36 AM PST

•  peregrine kate (2+ / 0-)
                      US Blues, peregrine kate
                      On the other hand, I don't think I went so far as to urge you to write one;
                      Not you, Kombema.
                      And thank you for telling. I'd be interested to
                      hear more, maybe in a diary?
                      And yes, we are on the same page.
                      I`m just making sure we`re reading the right lines.

I`m already against the next war.

by Knucklehead on Sat Nov 30, 2013 at 07:39:01 AM PST

•  Nice diary you linked. I'm still interested! And (0+ / 0-)

as for the BP disaster, then and now I could not agree more that it's been swept under the rug, appallingly. Look forward to seeing one if you have time, Knucklehead. :)

by Kombema on Sat Nov 30, 2013 at 11:44:56 AM PST