View Diary: Cardinal Dolan: Church "Outmarketed" on Gay Marriage Issue (92 comments)

•  Even if all Obama proposed was to give bandaids... (6+ / 0-)

...to babies, the Repugs would have opposed it.  The one thing I don't get is why Obama discarded Single Payer even before the "negotiations" started.

The ACA does help some people and establishes that reform was needed, but it has many issues that will hopefully remain dormant until after the 2014 midterms.

Daily Kos an oasis of truth. Truth that leads to action.

by Shockwave on Fri Nov 29, 2013 at 02:32:22 PM PST

•  Re: Single Payer (2+ / 0-)
      Shockwave, Another Grizzle

Exactly

•  Too many Dems bought by insurers. (6+ / 0-)

He probably wouldn't have had enough Dem votes for single payer. Senate Finance Chair Bachus would never have allowed that.

"Liberty" is a living wage. "Freedom" is not worrying about your medical bills.

by billybam on Fri Nov 29, 2013 at 03:10:57 PM PST

•  I agree (6+ / 0-)

Heck here in California SB 810 was stopped by "Democrats" in 2012.  But I like to start my negotiations from a distance without giving up anything before the negotiations start.  We may have gotten a Public Option if Obama had started from Single Payer.

Daily Kos an oasis of truth. Truth that leads to action.

by Shockwave on Fri Nov 29, 2013 at 03:16:15 PM PST

•  Yes, I am of two minds on that (1+ / 0-)
          Shockwave

1. I agree with you, and that was my thought in 2009 when it began.
          2. The initial wave of attack against single payer, by the insurance industry and the corporate press could have been so severe, that the whole thing would have been shot right out of the gate.

"Liberty" is a living wage. "Freedom" is not worrying about your medical bills.

by billybam on Sat Nov 30, 2013 at 07:21:53 AM PST

•  Baucus wouldn't even vote for (2+ / 0-)
        whenwego, Shockwave

a public option, which passed the House. If the filibuster had been scrapped in '09 (including for legislation), we'd have had the public option. Not to mention, ENDA, EFCA, PROGRESSIVE immigration reform, cap and trade, etc.

"I was not born for myself alone, but for my neighbor as well as myself."--Richard Overton, leader of the Levellers, a17th C. movement for democracy and equality during the English Civil War. http://www.kynect.ky.gov/ for healthcare coverage in Kentucky

by SouthernLeveller on Fri Nov 29, 2013 at 04:15:10 PM PST

•  Because the march of people and their (0+ / 0-)

families who are being treated now for cancer and other serious diseases and are satisfied with their insurance would make the Tea party demonstrations look like family picnics.

Look at the wrath of healthy people who are losing their insurance. Most have started screaming even before they have checked and seen what the aCA policies would cost and would offer.

You are calling for a revolution. But all the liberal/progressive forces couldn't even demonstrate enough to get the public option to get the votes.

had Obama started out demanding a single payer plan it would be dead. You would have nothing. And that would be tragic because there is so much in the ACA to improve the quality and access to care AND reduce costs of that care that would not exist.

Quit blaming Obama.

Every time there has been major change the groups most concerned have  organized and held massive demonstrations often for years and often but their lives on the line.

Have you been to jail for justice?

I'm asking you to believe. Not in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... *I'm asking you to believe in yours.* Barack Obama

by samddobermann on Sat Nov 30, 2013 at 03:28:53 AM PST

• Media (19)
  • Law (19)
  • Science (16)
  • Politics (15)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Barack Obama (14)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site