View Diary: Military Family Hearts Are Breaking - updated (174 comments)

•  read the bill (1+ / 0-)
    JBL55

you notice the diary contains hardly any facts about the actual content of the bill.
    apparently it is a cut in COLA not for everyone but for those who are not yet of retirement age. Many of those already have other jobs.
    Read the bill carefully and then decide if the heart is breaking or not.

Obama 2012...going to win it with our support!!!

by mattinjersey on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 11:48:28 AM PST

•  Here's an article that goes into some (0+ / 0-)

nuance and claims that this is not such a horrific injustice as our first read might lend us to believe:

I'm not liberal. I'm actually just anti-evil, OK? - Elon James White

by Satya1 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 12:53:02 PM PST

•  A link advertising military contracts! (3+ / 0-)
        greenbell, divineorder, Militarytracy

Beautiful. Of course they love this. If the military focuses on benefit cuts, they won't cut contracts.

•  written by fucking (5+ / 0-)

Lawrence Korb, Assistant Secretary of Defense (manpower, reserve affairs, installations, and logistics) in the Reagan Administration

Fuckin A, I never thought I would see the day the benefits are justified with a Reagan official on Daily Kos

That article is a fluff piece with a lot of assumptions and low on facts…

Lawrence fucking Korb, Good God!

Don't be a dick, be a Democrat! Oppose CPI cuts! Support Social Security and Veteran Benefits!

by Jeffersonian Democrat on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 01:01:41 PM PST

•  First off (1+ / 0-)
          TXdem

Don't mistake my intent.  I'm looking for details the diary did not provide.

Second, my spouse just had pension benefits cut by leglislation as well.  I take these issues serioiusly.

Third, an ad hominem attack on the source isn't worth the bytes used to type it.  If the person has a long established history as a lier (eg. Breitbart, Fox News) point to that.

If the person has facts wrong, which ones?  Hey, if it is well established there ought to be a source right?

Or if the "analysis" of the source I linked is so worthless, please offer 1-2 links on better analysis.

I'm not liberal. I'm actually just anti-evil, OK? - Elon James White

by Satya1 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 02:14:33 PM PST

•  I am sure the analysis is just fine if you believe (2+ / 0-)
            Militarytracy, maryabein

that pensions should be cut at all.

Or if you believe all military retirees go work second jobs that pay tons of money.

Or if you believe 401K programs should replace pension plans.

The truth is, I don't want to argue with you about the benefits to cutting military pensions when it's our pension being cut. And not 20 years before my husband is supposed to collect it but on the eve of his retirement. It sucks.

I assume your husband is a Federal Employee? And he was affected by the same round of cuts? I'm glad they weren't as bad as projected but I'm incredibly sad that they had to happen at all. If he's a Federal Employee, I'm sure he sees his fair share of waste as well.

I have written other pieces that were more analytical. Today was just for anger and resentment. I'm pissed. I'm tired of Democrats and Republicans wanting to wrap themselves in the flag come Veteran's Day, wanting military spouses to speak at their political rallies, wanting to embrace the whole red, white, and blue of it all and then turn around do this.

•  mattinjersey: YOU read the bill (1+ / 0-)
      onceasgt

and the other diaries on this subject, and then call the diarist a liar again, and see whether you don't get the hydrating you deserve, eh?

LBJ, Van Cliburn, Ike, Wendy Davis, Lady Bird, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 12:55:08 PM PST

•  OK (2+ / 0-)
        Satya1, TXdem

well first of all I did not call the diarist a liar, so I'm not sure why I would call him a liar again. Doesn't quite make sense there.

Second of all, the piece by Lawrence Kolb is not bad. I don't know much about him but if you find anything factually wrong with the article, I'd be interested to know it.

Obama 2012...going to win it with our support!!!

by mattinjersey on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 01:20:34 PM PST