View Diary: The sad death of (another) microwave oven. (225 comments)

•  My brother-in-law (14+ / 0-)

is pretty handy, and for almost 30 years he kept his dryer working.  About every couple of year he replaced something-or-other on it and while my sister said it wheezed and made weird squealing noises they got a lot of life out of that thing.

He was actually very sad a few months ago when it finally gave its life for their laundry and started smoking.  They replaced it and now he'll have to find a new hobby.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich." - John F. Kennedy

by Dem Beans on Sun Mar 02, 2014 at 12:48:37 PM PST

•  Not sure if lawn mowers are appliances or not... (9+ / 0-)

but I have a Lawn Chief I inherited from my grandfather when he passed 17 years ago.  No idea how long he had it before that.

Steel, heavy as hell, kinda clunky to use but, dammit! It still works just fine.

Same goes for other tools I got at the same time; circular saw, drill press, jig saw etc... All American made, all still working perfectly.

I can see Canada from my house. No, really, I can.

by DuzT on Sun Mar 02, 2014 at 01:58:50 PM PST

•  We used to have a Lawn Boy (tm) mower (6+ / 0-)

It would not die either. Aluminum (or whatever) body, 2 cycle motor. Put the wrong gas mixture, no mixture more than once, polluted the air like satan, but always ran. No repairs that I can recall, but you'd have to ask my dad and it's been over 20 years since he passed.

Dam fine hand pushed mower though, easy to move, light weight. Great for trimming around trees and such. Couldn't take too heavy of a cut though, low Hp.

Is it even legal to sell 2 cycle engine anything anymore?

•  We have a small 1939 Ford Farm Tractor. (4+ / 0-)
        Rashaverak, Dem Beans, DuzT, jts327

It's gotten a workout this winter, shoveling snow. Only the Blizzard of early January was too large for it to handle. Every Sunday for eight weeks we've had to shovel the driveway.

That's about it's only use for the old Ford except for the 4th of July Parade.

•  My husband got a mower from his dad (3+ / 0-)
        DuzT, Dem Beans, flumptytail

after his dad passed away in 1994.  Being cheap and handy, hubby fixed the thing for years.  If he needed parts, he'd stop and pick up mowers that people were throwing out - driving anywhere with him was embarrassing.   By the time our sons reached their teens and took over mowing, the mower had parts from at least a dozen machines, but it still ran.  Our youngest son dubbed it 'Frankenmower'.

Finally, the boys bought hubby a new mower for Christmas a couple of years ago, but Frankenmower lives on.

•  I mentioned above (8+ / 0-)

my great grandmother's antique vacuum, as well as the hideous carpet in this house that used to be my grandmothers.  But not only do we have grandma's original "avocado" carpet here, we also have her original "avocado" dryer and refrigerator.  The washing machine died just a couple of years back but the others work like gangbusters.  The dryer is scary, it gets hot enough to burst into flame on anything but the lowest temps but it dries anything I want it to dry in short order.  The fridge works dandy, too, although it grumbles a bit and pees on the floor occasionally.  They'll both get replaced in the Great Remodeling of 2014 because they are such total energy hogs, but they live on 50+ years and counting.

"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places." Ernest Hemingway

by Got a Grip on Sun Mar 02, 2014 at 03:16:03 PM PST

•  What's underneath the avocado carpeting? (7+ / 0-)

If you have hardwoods underneath - and I'm guessing you do given the age of the house - I'd rip that crap out pronto.  Even hardwoods in poor condition would look better, and you can refinish them one room at a time.

by Dem Beans on Sun Mar 02, 2014 at 03:52:58 PM PST

•  You'd think it would have hardwood under there, (5+ / 0-)

but it doesn't.  It's got an ancient kind of plywood, thin layers of wood that resemble veneer (rather than chipped wood) that are glued and pressed together, over a thin rough pine, and it's not pretty.  It will get a thorough exam when the carpet comes out but I don't think it's doable.  I'm leaning towards tile.  I really dislike carpet, if you have indoor pets and you tromp in from the fields and gardens as I do, then carpet is just an unsanitary mess.  I want something I can really clean.

The house does have beautiful solid maple doors and trim, and they'll be staying.  They have a beautiful patina the color of dark honey and I can't think of anything I'd want to replace them with.

by Got a Grip on Sun Mar 02, 2014 at 04:52:29 PM PST

•  I have dogs (2+ / 0-)
            Got a Grip, Susan from 29

And they rampage through the kitchen en route to and from the yard.

I ripped out the nasty old kitchen tile and installed vinyl planks.  It looks like hardwood, the dogs haven't put a scratch on it (unlike the hardwoods in the rest of the house) and I was able to install it myself without a single problem.  It's not the stick-down stuff, it's the interlocking floating vinyl plank.  I installed it about a year and a half ago and it still looks great, and it's way cheaper than laminate.

by Dem Beans on Sun Mar 02, 2014 at 05:52:14 PM PST

•  We had to PAY to get 1935-y.o. fridge taken away (1+ / 0-)
        Dem Beans

When we moved into our house. Even the Salvation Army wouldn't touch a 1957 pre-safety-door model, especially that leaked. Kept stuff cold though.

•  just rollers if makes bumpy grind sounds (0+ / 0-)

Next to disintegrate is the belt (low cost)
      Then maybe next is the felt front seal

Appliance parts blow ups on searspartsdirect are good.
      There are some good disassembly and diagnoses instructions on the web.

♥ Repeal the Capital Gains, Carried Interest & Dividends Entitlements bequeathed to 'more special' taxpayers.

by in on Mon Mar 10, 2014 at 12:46:40 AM PDT