View Diary: Paul Ryan: Poor kids should go hungry so they know they're loved (401 comments)

•  Do kids even commonly use brown bags now? (30+ / 0-)

This was my thought too: another fake Republican "anecdote" heard from another Republican who heard it from another Republican who heard it from ...?

It simply doesn't sound like a real kid to me.  It sounds like a maudlin Republican Anecdote Kid.

Forgive my ignorance, but ...  Do kids still even commonly carry lunches in brown bags any more?  Maybe they do, but it sounds like such a 50's "Leave It To Beaver" sort of image.  Even when I was a kid a few decades after that we mostly had lunch boxes (with Bobby Sherman, the Banana Splits, Planet of the Apes, etc).

•  Lunch boxes in elementary, lunch money later (16+ / 0-)

At least that's what I see the kids in my neighborhood and extended family doing (I don't have any myself). Personally I don't know anyone who literally brings lunch in brown paper bags (even "brown bag lunches" at work are metaphorically named).

I call BS on that story. Basically he's saying that if "government dependence" is taken away, all of a sudden parents will find the time and resources to make their children lunch, even if they couldn't do it before. For whatever reason, taking their SNAP benefits away should make it even easier for them to fill that paper bag with a nutritious lunch for their kids.

How exactly, he doesn't say, especially since community gardens are frowned upon in his world as well.

261.A wealthy man can afford anything except a conscience. -Ferengi Rules of Acquisition

by MaikeH on Thu Mar 06, 2014 at 10:32:22 AM PST

•  My daughter does (6+ / 0-)

She's in kindergarten, where they have lunch and a snack every day.  When she likes the lunch on the menu--today it's French Toast stix, which she loves--I pack her snack in her sparkly pink lunchbox. When she doesn't like the lunch, such as yesterday's ravioli, I pack her lunch in the lunchbox and her snack goes in a paper bag with her name and "SNACK" written on it. However, I have white and navy blue bags (bought them originally to make puppets out of, but their original purpose was as lunch bags.)

And as far as the rest of it goes, most kids these days have accounts to pay for their lunch, whether that account says the lunch is free, partially subsidized, or paid for entirely by the parents. No one knows who pays for the lunch or not. And I'm sure that a lot of working parents take the easy route and have their kids eat school food, instead of trying to pack a healthful lunch. One of my daughter's friends is extremely allergic to peanuts, so no peanut butter at school, which is a problem, as that's one of the very few sandwiches my daughter will eat!

•  No one knows? (16+ / 0-)

That's great! When my daughter (now 31 years old) was in 1st or 2nd grade, she got free lunch and she told me the lunch lady didn't like her. I asked why she thought that, and she said she would get in line with everyone else, the lady would look at her card (which the lunch staff held onto, not the kids), and send her back to the end of the line. I waited until the next day and she said it happened again. I waited another day and she said it happened again. I went on a surprise visit to the principal and told him my problem and the lunch lady was immediately ordered to come and explain herself to me. She tried to tell me there was a problem on the card but couldn't explain what the problem was or why it continued. I asked if the free part might be the problem and she insisted free lunch kids are treated like anyone else and she would never treat a child like that and I pointed out that that was exactly what she did.
          The next school day, my darling daughter was so happy! The lunch lady was nice to her! And she was nice every day after that. My poor girl thought she'd done something wrong and couldn't figure what it was.
          It took the threat of her job to make this small minded jerk treat my daughter like a normal, hungry child.

•  That's awful! (1+ / 0-)
            peregrine kate

What kind of a horrible person would take out their prejudices on a small child? Kudos to you for following through and getting the lunch worker to act as she should.

Anyway, as far as I know--this is my daughter's first year--the cards are all the same, they go through a big company that does school lunch payments all over the country (which reminds me, I need to check her balance!) When we signed up, I'm just about positive it said that all cards were the same when it got to the point for applying for free or reduced-price lunch. Unless something pops up in the computer when the card goes through.

•  How great of you to stand up for your darling (1+ / 0-)
            anodnhajo

daughter. It is so important for kids to know their parents will defend them from mistreatment.
            Isn't it amazing to have her all grown up now? My oldest is 29, and I still don't quite know how that happened....

Welcome from the DK Partners & Mentors Team. If you have any questions about how to participate here, you can learn more at the Knowledge Base or from the New Diarists Resources Diaries. Diaries labeled "Open Thread" are also great places to ask. We look forward to your contributions.

Support Small Business: Shop Kos Katalogue If you'd like to join the Motor City Kossacks, send me a Kosmail.

by peregrine kate on Thu Mar 06, 2014 at 08:22:07 PM PST

•  My kids used brown paper bags (1+ / 0-)
        1949girl

They would bring lunch in lunch boxes in elementary school, but once they hit middle school they would bring paper bags to throw it out and not have to carry a lunch box around.

They never wanted to eat the hot lunch, and we had to buy it a month at a time.

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." John Kenneth Galbraith

by wintergreen8694 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 at 12:23:21 PM PST

•  The story is true, but taken out of context. It... (1+ / 0-)
        BeninSC

The story is true, but taken out of context. It comes from the book "An Invisible Thread", in which a relatively well-off woman befriends a young boy who is panhandling because he's hungry. As their relationship develops, she realizes that hunger is not an infrequent problem for him, and brainstorms with him about ways she can help feed him on the days they don't meet up.

The exchange occurs around page 88 of the book. She offers either to give him money for each week, or to make a lunch for him each day and leave it with her doorman for him. At this point he says that he would rather have the prepared lunch in a brown bag, rather than the money.

The point he is making is not that he doesn't want someone else paying for his food, as Ryan tries to twist it (and perhaps why he doesn't credit the actual source), but that he prefers the option of having his lunch in a brown bag, because that looks like someone cares enough about him to make him a lunch, rather than just being handed the money.

•  They do on field trips. (3+ / 0-)
      True North, Penny GC, niemann

Everything is encouraged to be in recyclable packaging, if possible, too.

•  Nope. (8+ / 0-)

As an elementary teacher for the last 38 years, I've never seen a kid bring lunch in a bag. Those that bring lunch typically have some sort of insulated lunch carrier.  Actually secondary school kids seem to use them as well. These aren't the childish metal or plastic lunch boxes we saw in past years.

“It is the job of the artist to think outside the boundaries of permissible thought and dare say things that no one else will say."—Howard Zinn

by musiclady on Thu Mar 06, 2014 at 10:50:05 AM PST

•  I thought most schools have lunch rooms... (1+ / 0-)
      niemann

and those who can afford it pay for their kids to eat; those who can't get free lunch. I didn't know anybody brought their own lunch to school these days, in brown bags or otherwise. I have no kids so I really don't know but agree the story sounds fake.

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. (attributed to) Greg King

by scyellowdogdem on Thu Mar 06, 2014 at 10:55:16 AM PST

•  He heard the anecdote (11+ / 0-)

from one of Scott Walker's staffers.

His "good buddy" Scott Walker.

Consider the source.

"Washington, DC: Where Corruption is Rewarded, and Ethical Merit is DESPISED.

by The Truth on Thu Mar 06, 2014 at 10:59:38 AM PST

•  I haven't seen it in years. (2+ / 0-)
      niemann, kbrown2225

This guy is lying through his evil teeth.

Ed FitzGerald for governor Of Ohio. Women's lives depend on it. http://www.edfitzgeraldforohio.com/

by anastasia p on Thu Mar 06, 2014 at 02:55:43 PM PST

•  And of course now we know ... (0+ / 0-)

HE WAS.

Not only was it someone else's story, but that person took it from a book and didn't hear it personally (as she claimed).

A the real story took place 30 years ago -- back when some kids may indeed have used paper bags ... but sure not contemporary.

•  No they don't. (1+ / 0-)
      niemann

My granddaughter, who is overweight, has begun taking a lunch to school because the crap they sell is full of carbs and unfit to eat anyway.  She carries a small cooler. With an ice pack in it to keep it fresh.