View Diary: On Raising My Children To Be Free -- Free To Leave The U.S.A. (275 comments)

•  There's not a huge migration (12+ / 0-)

from modern countries to here.

The migration comes from people and places who are having a really hard time.

Most immigrants from those countries, like my husband from Australia, do it due to wanting to be with their loved one (and I had a big business here).

You can blah, bah about "the land that millions around the world have dreamed of"; I had 45 ancestors who came here from Europe in the 17th Century.

But things change.

•  that's a new one to me (0+ / 0-)

you said: "And why is the US the only country I have been to that sees living overseas for a while as a betrayal?"

I think learning other languages, appreciating other cultures, and living abroad are gifts, mainly to those who are pretty well off.  We should encourage such endeavors.

I am proud that I have worn out a few passports and have lived abroad.  Yet I have never felt i needed to escape the USA for a better chance at life.  I might see countries that appreciate things I appreciate more than the average American, but they are not havens, hell, even many of their own people could give a damn about their own history, heritage, or cuisine.

The thing about life is it what you make of it.  You can't find a better place if your problem is yourself.  jmho

TC

•  Question: (12+ / 0-)

You say this:

...followed by this:
        I am proud that I have worn out a few passports and have lived abroad.
        So then, should I deduce that you are well off? Were you born into it? If so, congratulations, but perhaps that colors your perspective, due to the ease with which you are able to live. I don't doubt you might have earned it from your own merit and effort, by the way.

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. - Susan B. Anthony

by pajoly on Fri Mar 07, 2014 at 07:21:38 PM PST

•  Where? (0+ / 0-)

What destinations do you propose that will offer not "well-off" Americans remunerative positions and ease of immigration?

Why would they?  What is in their national self-interest to dos?  Most nations outside of Europe are not progressive and liberal.

Many if not most, have highly conservative religious populations to boot.

Cheers.

•  I don't see that at all (3+ / 0-)
      TurkeyCreek, kaliope, cybrestrike
      Who does that?  I see Americans traveling and living overseas---this site has plenty of them. Who sees living overseas as betrayal? Thats bizarre

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Fri Mar 07, 2014 at 06:41:17 PM PST

•  This is the land of the bizarre (3+ / 0-)
        gffish, YucatanMan, cybrestrike
        Who sees living overseas as betrayal? Thats bizarre
        Ted Cruz who said he was going to denounce his Canadian citizen (Don't know if he's done it yet.).

Michele Bachmann who withdrew her Swiss citizenship because some conservatives questioned her dual citizenship.

Bizarre enough?

A million Arcosantis.

by Villabolo on Fri Mar 07, 2014 at 07:09:40 PM PST

•  not really they are politicians (0+ / 0-)

they do what they think is expedient to their careers.  Has any president held dual nationality?  That is a serious question btw.

•  Still, Republicans tend to despise other nations (2+ / 0-)
            gffish, YucatanMan

Michele Bachmann's dual citizenship drew an immense backlash from conservatives. That indicates that many "grassroots" Republicans have a negative opinion of dual citizenship.

Since dual citizenship is very rare I think it is unlikely that any President faced the issue of renouncing his other country's citizenship.

A million Arcosantis.

by Villabolo on Fri Mar 07, 2014 at 07:47:14 PM PST

•  what about George Washington, etc? (0+ / 0-)

They were born as citizens of other countries like England.

•  That triggered that war (0+ / 0-)

"I think the English still thought of the U.S. as English soil full of English citizens even up until the War of 1812 or so."

Royal Navy pressing American sailors on those shaky legalities, plus some of their own probably.

•  Fall of the Roman Empire comparison (7+ / 0-)

Much of this diary is familiar to anyone who has read the book, Are We Rome?  by Cullen Murphy.  From Roman history it is clear that the Roman Empire "fell" over hundreds of years and many generations.  The intelligent people, and the ones with resources, moved away to various other more attractive Mediterranean areas.

A parent back then could little control the next generation, let alone the next 100 years.  So the best ones educated the children for an uncertain future, probably including a variety of languages.

One of those Romans came up with the sentence, "And this too shall pass away."  For thirty years as a history teacher, I predicted that someday American Democracy would be lost.  But it is our job, during our lifetimes, to maintain our Constitution as long as we could.  And I kept William O. Douglas's quote ever before the class: "As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be most aware of change in the air — however slight — lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness."

I'm from Johnson City.

by Al Fondy on Sat Mar 08, 2014 at 07:31:21 AM PST

•  Lincoln (0+ / 0-)

According to Wikipedia, Abraham Lincoln was honorary citizen of San Marino, of all places.

There may be others; I wouldn't know. Just read this incidentally.

Freedom is not just a word. 'Freedom' is a noun.

by intruder from Old Europe on Sat Mar 08, 2014 at 09:18:05 PM PST