View Diary: The party of Big Business (25 comments)

•  When it comes to money... (12+ / 0-)

...Republicans and Democrats are remarkably similar.  They only really differ on social issues.  If we are to reverse the slide into corporatism and oligarchy, we really need a Party that is firmly on the side of the people, economically as wel as socially.

(And no, it ain't libertarianism.)

"Democrat" is a noun. "Democratic" is an adjective. "Republican" is an idiot. Illigitimi non carborundum. Regardless of Party.

by TheOrchid on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 07:55:05 AM PDT

•  If you'll notice (11+ / 0-)

Almost every one of those deregulation bills were passed on an election year, and the biggest ones were passed right before the Democrats got squashed.

Coincidence? I don't think so

"The oppressors most powerful weapon is the mind of the oppressed." - Stephen Biko

by gjohnsit on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 08:02:30 AM PDT

•  Both parties use social issues as wedges (13+ / 0-)

... and signifiers keeping their voters on side.  The economic agenda is pretty bipartisan, which is why you should pick up a pitchfork whenever you hear that word in the beltway.

We have always been at war with al Qaeda.

by Dallasdoc on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 08:02:55 AM PDT

•  "When you hear 'bipartisan' you know they're up (5+ / 0-)
        gjohnsit, Wolf10, aliasalias, unfangus, claude

to really something nasty." George Carlin said that.

It's also War and Global Hegemony that has both parties acting the same.

Who can name the last time a Presidential candidate from either party opened up public discussion on the Financial System or Foreign Policy?

When the Oceans rise, what's the plan for moving the nuke plants? Anyone?

by Jim P on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 09:45:08 AM PDT

•  the real fools, Doc, are the ones (3+ / 0-)
        gjohnsit, Dallasdoc, JesseCW

who keep telling us the political process is going to make everything just fine,  and ponies. Also.  Like I am SO  FUCKING SURE that the politicians are going to get it together to save the planet from the Oligarch.

I am just about back to where I was nearly 50 fucking years ago:  fuck the whole thing.

What I have to say is no longer allowed speech at the Great Orange Satan,  so I am mostly just out of here.

Good luck.

(What really frosted my cookies today was learning that there was a "Progressive"  budget being ignored,  separate but equal from a "Black" budget being ignored)

don't always believe what you think

by claude on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 03:43:02 PM PDT

•  Maybe you had the right idea 50 years ago, claude (3+ / 0-)
          claude, gjohnsit, JesseCW

Creative use of civil disobedience and needle-sharp satire might be the only sane response to a game as rigged as this one is.  That and health dose of FU to anybody in power.

We have always been at war with al Qaeda.

by Dallasdoc on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 03:58:53 PM PDT

•  Doc, I am so totally burned out (3+ / 0-)
            gjohnsit, Dallasdoc, JesseCW

by bullshit.

I must delete 50 emails a day from folks who seem to think my 50 cents donation is going to make a difference.

Can you believe I am actually GRATEFUL  for my $716/mo. SS check and not even sure I deserve it?

I saw THE BEST MINDS OF MY GENERATION PISSED ON for daring to speak the DFH  truth.  50+ years ago.  Children now presume to lecture me about my social responsibility, as though I had been clueless for the past half fucking century.

Arrrrggghhhh!!!!

don't always believe what you think

by claude on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 04:36:52 PM PDT

•  You have an important role to play (0+ / 0-)

Somebody's got to be the wise old greyhead who tells the youngsters that they're not as smart as they think they are, and they haven't really got the world figured out in their puerile good-guy-bad-guy comic book way.  I'm kind of enjoying the role myself, and I don't have half the right to do it you do.

Telling the truth has never been popular, let alone rewarded.  Cassandra wasn't the hero of her story, even though she was right from the start.  Stupid people don't appreciate being told they're wrong -- it's a story as old as literature.

I've taken the time here and there to unsubscribe from a lot of the begging lists.  I hear Markos makes most of his money these days selling our email to these clowns, though, so I'm not sure how much good it does.

We have always been at war with al Qaeda.

by Dallasdoc on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 07:38:26 PM PDT