View Diary: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Drone (141 comments)

•  I wonder if Madam Hydra will show up at some point (4+ / 0-)

She's so crazy that even some of the other supervillains, like Madam Masque, AIM, and the Kingpin, think she's lost it.

This isn't freedom. This is fear - Captain America

by Ellid on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 08:21:57 AM PDT

•  Madam Hydra (7+ / 0-)

Yeah, a bunch of people were thinking that Agent Hand from the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. television show would end up being Madam Hydra, but that's looking unlikely after the last episode for various reasons.  (I won't spoil anymore.)

Also, while that show started pretty lousy, it's gotten good.  The first 6 or so episodes were bad, but it gradually improved, and over the last 4 episodes, it's gotten to be really good.  It's also tying in with Winter Soldier (for obvious reasons, if you've seen the movie.)  I recommend catching up.  It's also really cool how the Marvel Cinematic Universe is trying to integrate different media styles and distribution platforms (cinema, broadcast television, little shorts on the discs, and eventually a Netflix series) to make a persistent universe.  It's really fun.

•  I was literally screaming at the ending of AoS (5+ / 0-)
        rbird, nanoboy, BachFan, chmood, caul

The way Marvel is integrating the TV show into the movie 'verse is brilliant in every way.

This isn't freedom. This is fear - Captain America

by Ellid on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 08:57:05 AM PDT

•  I was kinda over AoS with the beatings and (1+ / 0-)
        caul

torture.

Should Ming Na's character (as much as I like her as an actress) turn out to be a baddie I'll reconsider that a bit.

Is it "Gordon Gecko Democrat" week here at Dailykos?

by JesseCW on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 09:20:36 AM PDT

•  Torture on the Show (2+ / 0-)
          JesseCW, caul

It's not as bad as other shows are about it, but I agree that it's a problem.  Now, her character in particular may not be HYDRA (yet), but there are some other rough interrogators that are.

•  This show has definitely taken the long view (2+ / 0-)
            Vyan, caul

I'm really interested in seeing how it's all going to pay off at the end of the season.  Kudos to ABC for giving them the time they needed to hit their stride.

This isn't freedom. This is fear - Captain America

by Ellid on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 12:36:08 PM PDT

•  Just saw the AOS episode that ties into the movie (4+ / 0-)
        Vyan, JesseCW, Ellid, caul

A couple of surprises I never saw coming - that's as spoily as I'm gonna get.

I will say the show's look and budget suffers dearly in comparison to the movie; While the budget for CA:TWS was probably something like $2 million per minute, the AOS episode was mostly people running up and down dimly lit corridors. It sort of reminded me of some Tom Baker-era Dr. Who stories where a planetary dictatorship is being overthrown off camera while the Doctor tries to help a small band of revolutionaries deep underground.

You can't stop progress (or is that "profit"?)

by Miscweant on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 06:32:59 PM PDT

•  The budget is still comparable to similar (1+ / 0-)
          caul

shows, like Revolution or Lost(adjusted for inflation).

Yeah, they can't afford The Hulk for a cameo ;)  But I don't budget has been such a crippling problem as

1) Casting.  Several big blunders. This feels like a pack of Pantene and Axe Body Spray commercial actors invited to make a 42 minute Marvel commercial (excepting Coulson and Ming Na)

2) Lacking a sense of direction (which I know they're trying hard to tackle)

3) A shortfall of Whedonism.  Just doesn't have the rag-tag pack of misfits becoming a family vibe

In all fairness, I've only seen four episodes all season.  Thing may be improving more than I'm giving credit for.

Is it "Gordon Gecko Democrat" week here at Dailykos?

by JesseCW on Fri Apr 11, 2014 at 12:04:14 AM PDT

•  It's improved a lot over the course of the season (1+ / 0-)
            caul

Go back and watch it from the beginning - the scripts really started to get good around the sixth or seventh episode, and have only gotten better.

This isn't freedom. This is fear - Captain America

by Ellid on Fri Apr 11, 2014 at 04:28:47 AM PDT

•  The main thing I like about the show (2+ / 0-)
            Ellid, Ana Thema

- is it follows what's going on in SHIELD while the superheroes are clobbering the bad guys in the movies. I also like how they're gradually working superhero elements into the series like "Deathlok" and the guy who can frost things up from his fingertips in the SHIELD Academy episode.

Tying it into the movies' continuity is very clever synergy too, like early-on references to "the Battle of New York" or the episode where they're cleaning up the debris after the Thor:Dark World movie

Some lines I really love, like when they were facing down a Clarivoyant-created villain who can create fire: "I'm not [whatever the character's name was], I'm Scorch!"

Coulson: "Oh great, they gave him a name."

You can't stop progress (or is that "profit"?)

by Miscweant on Fri Apr 11, 2014 at 12:40:33 PM PDT

•  Oh yes (1+ / 0-)
              Ana Thema

I love that they're actually dealing with the aftermath of CA:TWS; the last episode not only seems to be taking place during the film, the timing of one of the last scenes in the episode can be pinpointed to a few minutes after [deleted] ends up on the [deleted] of the [deleted], or possibly after [deleted] has been transported to the nearest [deleted] for treatment but before an official announcement has been made about [deleted's] status.

Either way, I'm loving it.  I would have killed for movies and TV series like this when I was a kid.

This isn't freedom. This is fear - Captain America