View Diary: The UPS Workers Got Their Jobs Back (65 comments)

•  You seem to have a propensity for imagining you (0+ / 0-)

know what I think. I do wish you had an equal propensity for addressing the points I actually raised.

Of course if, as you say, you're really not sure of your view, I can understand and respect your hesitation.

Certainly I respect your right to disagree but this:

You prefer to see the rules as barriers, things not to be broken.
    is not at all what I said, nor is it my opinion. It is, at best, a projection of your own thinking.

Nothing human is alien to me.

by WB Reeves on Fri Apr 11, 2014 at 05:17:44 PM PDT

•  I am just saying we are discussing a topic.. (0+ / 0-)

of philosophy which has no right answer on the meta level it can only be true or not for an individual. As such all well reasoned consistent views are equally right, though each individual will have what is right for them.

So I am not unsure of my view in that I am very comfortable with it, but I have no will to try and force it upon others. Its very easy for people to get stuck in a binary world view where they are right and someone else is wrong. In questions of philosophy there is no such truth so I prefer to tread very lightly with no expectations or judgement on how others view the same questions.

I don't 'know' what you think but the purpose of discussion is to turn thoughts into words so they can be conveyed to others, if you feel that i'm not understanding you its possible its my comprehension, its also possible you are not making yourself clear enough.

I must admit I don't understand what you think I am not addressing?

When the Republicans are in power they get what they want and when the Democrats are in power they still get what they want. At what point do people finally see it is just theater? ~ Me

by fToRrEeEsSt on Fri Apr 11, 2014 at 05:29:57 PM PDT

•  Weird I replied but it got lost somehow lol (0+ / 0-)

Anyway, you misunderstand I am not unsure of my view its just that we are discussing a question of philosophy which as I see it has no correct answer (Given some semblance reasoning and consistency) at the meta level it can only be true or false for an individual.

Too often people reduce things to binary with one thing right and another wrong, oddly enough they always end up with themselves right and others wrong. I have no such issue we are both right and I have no will to push my view on you which is why I backed off and said what I said.

I must admit I did think it very likely you would go binary on me telling me how I was wrong, but I do not 'know' what you think. That is the point of discussion to turn thoughts into words so they can be conveyed to others. If you feel I am not understanding you it could be my comprehension, it could also be you are not making yourself clear.

Honestly I do not understand what you think I am not addressing?

by fToRrEeEsSt on Fri Apr 11, 2014 at 05:46:12 PM PDT

•  Okay it just appeared sorry for double post. nt (0+ / 0-)

by fToRrEeEsSt on Fri Apr 11, 2014 at 05:46:49 PM PDT

•  This explains a great deal (0+ / 0-)

We've been talking at cross purposes. While you may have been talking philosophy, I've been talking politics. That is, after all, the purpose of this site.

My own interest in Philosophy waned precipitously with exposure to the Christian apologists. As someone once said of the Metaphysician "He is a blind man in a dark room searching for a black hat that isn't there."

That said I don't see how you reconcile this

I am not sure which of us is right so I am perfectly willing to give your view equal value. I will not begrudge you your perspective.
        with this
        Here's the rub. I've not been speaking at the meta level. My responses have all referenced externals. The validity of abstract theorems lays not in their internal consistency or "elegance" but in testing them against material realities.

As for points left unanswered, I can only suggest that you re-read my comments from the beginning, putting aside any assumptions you may have made. In particular my reply that you never responded to at all.

I'll leave you one other thought, one that you may or may not be familiar with.

"...philosophers have only
        interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

Nothing human is alien to me.

by WB Reeves on Fri Apr 11, 2014 at 06:56:55 PM PDT

•  I don't know why you choose to be so cryptic, (0+ / 0-)

about what I haven't addressed. You say we are discussing politics, where I don't see anything political mentioned. This started with you telling how you could HR me because I broke a rule and me saying yeah I know, I will do that on occasion but feel free to HR.Which then turned into this philosophical conversation.

The two different quotes you compare reconcile very easy where the first was in a  context where I was backing off not wanting to in any way make you feel I was expecting you to see things my way, the second is me clarifying for you why I phrased it that way, and this is me explaining the two which seems overly pedantic, but you asked.

Interesting about your final quote because I am having another private conversation right now exactly on how to change the world (Well America, but close enough). So the fact I am waxing philosophical with you has little bearing on what else I do, and changing the world is very high on my priority list.

I must admit you come off as someone with very rigid views and a passive tone of superiority. Where I am trying to explain myself as clear as possible you seem to be going out of your way to be abstract and in doing so may have confuse yourself into thinking there is politics anywhere in this thread chain.

So lets go back to the top...

If you were to go through all 1000+ of my posts would not find any habit of insulting people. So why did I imply I think hes crazy? Because I really think he is and was speaking the truth. Hes living Viva La Resistance where he is the hero of proletariat and I play a minor villain "petite bourgeoisie". I wasn't just suggesting hes crazy, read what he wrote its not that hard to see his vision is cloudy.

So when I break the rules its not to insult people its to speak truth even though the rules might say I shouldn't. The other place you will see me break the rules is in the partisan Democrat part of it, because the truth is at the Federal level the Dems are just as much in on it as the Repubs are and nothing will be solved by sticking our heads in the ground and pretending thats not true.

So if you would like to continue the conversation please stop being abstract and passive/aggressive and get to the point and say what you mean without some air that you are superior. Because as of now you have not given me confidence that you are fully clear and what you are trying to say or why.

by fToRrEeEsSt on Fri Apr 11, 2014 at 07:51:54 PM PDT

•  That is not where we started (0+ / 0-)

We started here.

Why you'd say otherwise is a puzzle, since all you need do is parent up to beginning of the thread to see otherwise.

There's nothing cryptic in my suggestion that you reread my comments. It's obviously apt. Since you don't recall where our exchange began, you've clearly lost track.

If by rigid you mean an adherence to fact, then I suppose you would find me rigid. Perhaps you could do with a little of such "rigidity" yourself.

For one thing, you might not conflate your subjective opinion with "truth". Unless you are a trained mental health professional, your opinion of J.W.'s sanity is worth no more than anyone else and certainly can't be described as either true or "the truth".

Moreover, crazy isn't a synonym for cloudy vision. If you can't distinguish between the two, I'd say that's your own problem.

Frankly, your entire final paragraph strikes me nothing more than projection on your part. You don't seem to be able to see any point of view other than your own.

Nothing human is alien to me.

by WB Reeves on Fri Apr 11, 2014 at 09:47:58 PM PDT