View Diary: CBS: Stephen Colbert to replace David Letterman (312 comments)

•  What to call him now (3+ / 0-)
    Eyesbright, timj, Piren

Col-bear or Cole-bert

Would have still liked to see Elen.

But I do agree with people who say late night is pretty much dead, and not a creative pursuit. It is just a Network Time Killers, as seen on the old late night.  I watch a bit of John Stewert the next day, but that is about it.  Anyone who takes the job is doing it for the huge chunk of change, not the job.

•  Not sure I agree. (23+ / 0-)

Watched Jimmy Fallon last night for the first time since he got the gig on the Tonight Show.  Started out with two members of Nirvana/Foo Fighters introducing Tom Petty and Stevie Nicks.  Fallon was playing the part of Tom Petty, and was obviously thrilled to be singing with Stevie Nicks.  It was fun to watch.  I think he brings something new and fresh.  Colbert, hopefully will be a riot, as he is now.

The GOP will destroy anything they can't own.

by AnnieR on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 10:38:15 AM PDT

•  I was hoping for Ellen, too--or Jon S; both have (3+ / 0-)
      Gentle Giant, catwho, TofG

a wonderful quality of enjoying and finding something to like about just about everyone they meet--even people they disagree with, even people I would expect to irritate or repel them. A generosity of spirit, acceptance, openness. Johnny Carson had that, too.

I love Stephen, but I'm not sure he has that quality. I always feel I can tell which guests he likes better than others.

•  Colbert's new gig will be (2+ / 0-)
        Thomas Twinnings, TofG

less politically-oriented. He'll have more guests that he likes or at least has less reason to dislike.

"Non-violence is a powerful and just weapon which cuts without wounding and ennobles the man who wields it. It is a sword that heals." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

by Gentle Giant on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 11:31:03 AM PDT

•  Stephen definitely liked... (3+ / 0-)
        sacrelicious, Brecht, kfunk937

... Jane Goodall a few nights ago when he interviewed her and got into how two chimps would greet each other.  It was also about the most relaxed I've seen Goodall in the more recent interviews she's had.

I think the guests that befuddle Stephen are the ones who respond to his snark with answers given in all seriousness.  I remember a few extra blinks here and there by Stephen over the last few months as he's taking in answers and processing thoughts that seem to be going along the lines of "OMFG, this clod doesn't know I'm playing a role and my question was putting him on...!  Aaaaargh!"

I was looking for a snark tag on this post, found none, couldn't immediately like the idea that Colbert will be the next host (I sincerely thought Craig Ferguson would get the post, esp. since Letterman's company produces Ferguson's show)..., but I'm warming to the idea.  I suspect Stephen would like a change, a chance to grow and do serious interviews, not just as a character.  I just don't know when or where I'll watch him.  I turned off my TV permanently a few months ago, and Hulu (where I've been watching Jon & Stephen) only links to CBS and has more and longer irritating ads (it's how and where I watch CSI), so I suppose I'll have to watch that way.

I like Stephen and I wish Stephen well and every success in the venture of hosting a late-night show.  I have not watched much of late-night TV since Carson left, and only clips of Fallon (he's definitely eye candy, but so far I haven't warmed to his brand of humor, altho he seems to have a voice for singing).  If these shows aren't free on Hulu the next morning, I don't have much of an inclination to find them on their networks.

by NonnyO on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 12:25:49 PM PDT

•  Why would Ellen give up... (1+ / 0-)
        mjd in florida

...her very successful daytime talk show to go into late night?  Seriously, it's not like the ratings are going to be higher in late night than she's currently getting in daytime.

Aside from that, the demographics are also very different in late night (younger, and more men), and I don't think she'd be a good fit for those demographics.  In contrast, she's proven very effective at appealing to the heavily female daytime audience.

Political Compass: -6.75, -3.08

by TexasTom on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 12:49:58 PM PDT

•  Ellen is too nice... (2+ / 0-)
      NonnyO, chimene

...for the degenerates that make the late night audience.

I'm the plowman in the valley - with my face full of mud

by labradog on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 11:43:27 AM PDT

•  degenerates (0+ / 0-)

You say that as if you thought that was a bad thing.

Quote of the week: "They call themselves bipartisan because they're able to buy members of both parties," (R. Eskow, Campaign for America's Future.)

by mbayrob on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 02:52:32 PM PDT