View Diary: Industrial agriculture is killing Monarch butterflies says Ellen Moyer (65 comments)

•  Short-term and long-term solutions (1+ / 0-)
    BeninSC

We need to ban glyphosate but won't get that done in the next month or two.  So the emergency calls for immediate provision of milkweeds for the short-term and then banning glyphosate long term.  If we just did the banning, by the time that happened, the monarchs would be extinct.  Both are needed.  I agree that individual contemplation and/or action is not enough.  We need to change the game at the institutional and policy level.

•  It is a rare occasion when the subject of an (1+ / 0-)
      HoundDog

environmental diary comes to participate in the dialogue! Thank you for doing so!

Just for your information, the diary was posted on Thursday, which means active participation in the comment threads has slowed, if not ended outright. I am kosmailing (sending a private message via the Message button) the diarist to alert that you are participating in the diary!

Welcome from the DK Partners & Mentors Team. If you have any questions about how to participate here, you can learn more at the Knowledge Base or from the New Diarists Resources Diaries. Diaries labeled "Open Thread" are also great places to ask. We look forward to your contributions.

"The opposite of war isn't peace, it's CREATION." _ Jonathan Larson, RENT -9.62, -9.13

by BeninSC on Sat Apr 12, 2014 at 04:35:22 PM PDT

•  Thanks for kosmailing the diarist (2+ / 0-)
        HoundDog, BeninSC

And wish I could have jumped in earlier.

•  Oh, Hi Ellen, I'm so honored you could make it. (1+ / 0-)
          BeninSC

Please let me know if you would like to add anything at all,.

"Seriously, Folks, WTH?" - ("What the Heck? "h/t Joan McCarter, Seriously, Florida. WTF?)

by HoundDog on Sat Apr 12, 2014 at 06:02:52 PM PDT

•  I strongly encourage you to write a diary of your (1+ / 0-)
          BeninSC

own.

In the end, reality always wins.

by Lenny Flank on Sat Apr 12, 2014 at 07:40:48 PM PDT

•  Re diary of my own (1+ / 0-)
            BeninSC

Thanks so much for the encouragement.  I will!  I just posted an article on Huffington Post yesterday about reckless logging and will put it on Daily Kos too.  I guess I need to check into the rules first and see if it's okay to post in two places.  Thanks again!

•  I look forward to your diary (1+ / 0-)
              BeninSC

Back in my younger days, I was part of the IWW-Earth First! alliance that worked with Judi Bari to help prevent old-growth clearcutting in the Pacific Northwest. We developed a movement against clear-cutting within the logging workers themselves, by asking them the brutally simple question: "What do you think happens to your job once all the trees are cut?"

The whole "jobs vs the environment" thing has always been a myth. Sustainable logging can protect both jobs AND the environment. Unsustainable logging can protect neither.

In the end, reality always wins.

by Lenny Flank on Sun Apr 13, 2014 at 06:20:22 AM PDT

•  link to Washington Landslide article (1+ / 0-)
                BeninSC

Thanks, Lenny!  Here is the link:

A part that got edited out, to make the article shorter and more focused, had to do with the whole jobs thing.  Funny how we only care about jobs that destroy natural resources.  Here is what I have to say about logging jobs, which are the second most hazardous occupation after fishing, according to the government:

"Logging jobs are treated as sacrosanct. Logging proponents will often say we have to allow logging in order to support jobs in rural areas, jobs which are dangerous  and few, due to mechanized logging. If jobs really were a driver, more labor-intensive sustainable logging would be practiced instead of mechanized clear-cutting. Plus, no one else in American gets job security. Companies do not establish typing pools to employ secretaries. Companies get tax breaks to move jobs overseas. Our country does not much care if teachers, possibly our most valuable employees, lose their jobs. Why should loggers enjoy special status?"

•  I've arrived BeninSC. Thank you for calling this (1+ / 0-)
        BeninSC

to my attention. I seldom have the time to come back to post from this many days ago.

I'd like to call to everyone's attention, that I also included a rerun of this post in a Part 2 of the tribute post I did this morning to Rachel Carson, and that post is still active for discussion.

Thanks BeninSC and Ellen Moyer for coming by. Had I known you were a Kossack I would have coordinated this with you.

April 14 is 50th Anniversery of Rachel Carson's death and National Monarch Butterfly Day (sort of)

by HoundDog on Sat Apr 12, 2014 at 07:12:05 PM PDT

•  the only reason I'm still here is because (2+ / 0-)
          HoundDog, BeninSC

I'm a member of the Backyard Science group, and it's not at all unusual for conversations in our Daily Bucket to still be going on five or six days after the diary posts. So I always monitor my "replies" list for the previous week or so. I happened to see Ellen's response to one of my comments here.  :)

In the end, reality always wins.

by Lenny Flank on Sat Apr 12, 2014 at 07:53:40 PM PDT