View Diary: The Deputy Shot My Friend (86 comments)

•  Just note that this was white privilege (22+ / 0-)

You did a service for your friend who was shot - if he ever dares to sue.

But if you yourself had not been white, those police who hassled you with have done it with their boots and billy clubs... if you were lucky.

And you did, in the process, put your employees at risk. Any one of the cops could have decided to start shooting them because of you...

OMG, like, gag them with a multi-colored spoon. Like, ya know.

by Jyotai on Mon Apr 21, 2014 at 12:47:07 PM PDT

•  so are we, that is unrelated to wishing that the (4+ / 0-)
        Onomastic, Oh Mary Oh, chira2, wishingwell

glaring white privilege that Repack enjoys that enabled him to act as he did would have been/would be pointed out.

Black man would have been threatened or worse. Just taking those pictures risked assault and then being charged with assaulting an officer.

I'm a white woman, and even I see this.

•  I see the glaring white privilege underlying (5+ / 0-)
          bewild, chira2, Tonedevil, wishingwell, a2nite

the episode, and I also saw Repack acknowledge it.  If we never challenge the status quo because something bad might happen, nothing would ever change.

Dont Mourn, Organize !#konisurrender

by cks175 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 at 07:54:01 AM PDT

•  I did not say not to challenge, no one has. (0+ / 0-)

The two are separate. No one should avoid using their white privilege for the greater good, as is done here. You seem to think we are arguing he shouldn't have done what he did. I'm not. And the person who was worried that the privileged one could have accidentally brought harm back upon his Black workers was worried about a real world consequence. They as far as I can see were not arguing in general that it was wrong to use White privilege to the advantage of the greater good So you repeat in pushing the virtues of challenging when we are already in agreement.

I did not feel the white privilege was called out hardly at all. It did not land on me as at all present and I just reread it (no time to glean it line by line). Perhaps you assumed it was there. It wasn't in my mind nearly to the degree that was needed

But we can disagree.

•  I think above Im mistaken in a small point (0+ / 0-)

in saying no one disagreed he should have challenged them. Someone did. But it wasn't because they felt it was "wrong" to use white privilege. They felt he endangered the Black workers.

I think when white privileged is used it needs to be pointed out much more obviously than it was here. To me, the MAIN idea of this diary is how he used his white privilege. The diarist is proud of his assertiveness and that the Community (ie Black community in his area) thought him daring. Because they wouldn't have done it. And that's really because they couldn't because they aren' t WHite.

•  I can't tell... (17+ / 0-)

are you saying that RepackRider was wrong and/or irresponsible in taking pictures of the car in question? I am in complete agreement that white privilege allowed RepackRider to take the pictures be confronted by the police and not be beaten, shot, or arrested. I'm white so I'll certainly leave final assessment to those for whom white privilege is something you see not something you have, but it seems to me this was an example of using white privilege for good.  You seem to be saying don't you ever do that again because you are recklessly endangering people around you. How will the police ever be forced to respect all people in their jurisdictions if no one is allowed to confront the police for fear of the police?

This makes about as much sense as Mike Huckabee on mescaline. - Prodigal 2-6-2008

by Tonedevil on Mon Apr 21, 2014 at 04:43:35 PM PDT

•  No, IMO Jyotai (5+ / 0-)
        psnyder, mikejay611, Jyotai, Oh Mary Oh, chira2

is merely pointing out a truth, a daily reality. I didn't read it as judgemental.

I think his/her pointing out the danger to the employees was cautionary. Just my opinion.

Some humans ain't human some people ain't kind. They lie through their teeth with their head up their behind. You open up their hearts and here's what you'll find - Some humans ain't human some people ain't kind. John Prine

by high uintas on Mon Apr 21, 2014 at 06:06:26 PM PDT

•  Yep (8+ / 0-)

Pointing out.

If I'd tried to take those pictures, I'd have ended up dead, or a bloody mess.

And I learned growing up than when my white friends started vocally exercising their "rights" I had better GTFO of sight. By association, I'd become the target of people who felt they couldn't take their anger out on my friends.

OMG, like, gag them with a multi-colored spoon. Like, ya know.

by Jyotai on Mon Apr 21, 2014 at 08:48:06 PM PDT

•  ... (3+ / 0-)
            high uintas, Onomastic, chira2

Since I'm mixed and half my family looks white... I had to learn this lesson early and I've still got to deal with it often...

They just 'act normal' and I, looking somewhere between a 'Mexican', or 'Arab', get the looks for it (despite being neither)...

OMG, like, gag them with a multi-colored spoon. Like, ya know.

by Jyotai on Mon Apr 21, 2014 at 08:51:03 PM PDT

•  I got my real education (6+ / 0-)

when my Sis married a black truck driver from St Louis and our family which was already part white and part Mexican got even more integrated.

When out with my niece and nephew I was free to do as I pleased but they could easily have paid the price if I pushed the envelope at all. I discovered the joy of being followed around a KMart, but if we split up I lost the tail.

Little bits and pieces of white privilege that most of us don't relate to because we really have no reason to. When you part the curtain and really see life takes on a different flavor. That's why I understood your comment. I knew what you were talking about.

BTW, my niece is half black and white and srsly looks Hispanic. Her children are mixed with one being very close to her complexion and one is very dark. People ask their family the most outrageous, intrusive questions!

by high uintas on Mon Apr 21, 2014 at 09:36:04 PM PDT

•  I have been pulled over (12+ / 0-)

...for "driving while white" in The Community.  I filed complaints with the Sheriff's office through proper channels because it was a blatant 4th Amendment violation, and when I asked why it had been denied, a ranking officer told me to my face that the Supreme Court was wrong about the Fourth Amendment.

After that I was warned by a friend who is a detective on a local force to watch my back,. because they would be coming after me.  He was right, they did.  Using an accusation of a seatbelt violation as an excuse I was pulled over by the CHOP and a deputy.  The deputy frisked my Black employees and would have frisked me if I hadn't beat him to the punch by pulling my pants to my knees and flashing him on the side of the road.

I just about made that guy cry he was so angry and frustrated, and the CHP and my employees were laughing at him.  Best reaction I have ever got out of a cop.

Later in traffic court, the judge threw out the seatbelt charge on the grounds that the CHP officer was lying, which in fact he was.  My criminal defense attorney friend could not believe I won a case in what he called the "most rigged tribunal in the world."

But that's how I roll.  I go toe to toe, and I have yet to be arrested.

Orwell was an optimist.
            My Home Page

by RepackRider on Mon Apr 21, 2014 at 11:07:59 PM PDT

•  These guys have worked for me for years (10+ / 0-)

They have seen me confront police before, in several incidents.  They are no longer surprised.

I know more than just about any white guy how it is, because The Community where they live is the dumping ground for the deputies.  It's also the training grounds.  The deputies are either rookies or losers.

I have been identified as One of Them by the deputies in the Community, and I'm pretty easy to spot.  For the treatment I get there, I might as well be Black.  In the rest of the world, I'm a regular white guy and I get away with white guy stuff.  I don't think of it that way, I just push the envelope and so far I have been pretty successful at it

I didn't spend a lot of time thinking about what I did, I saw my friend's car and I went for it.

Orwell was an optimist.
            My Home Page

by RepackRider on Tue Apr 22, 2014 at 12:04:07 AM PDT

•  Same could be said of the Freedom Riders (10+ / 0-)
      Go back up Nawth white boy, y'all ain't welcome heah, puttin' notions into our Negroes.
    •  I agree that it is, and it is worth saying (3+ / 0-)
      Alhambra, Oh Mary Oh, chira2

Guy's rep just went up in the Community he says. Well, he can do things, get away with things, that Black men can not.

Yes, the guy did good here. And also, the glaring white privilege should be pointed out.