View Diary: I need your help (13 comments)

•  You know what's always driven me batty? (10+ / 0-)

It's the appropriation of traditions outside of their cultural context. This appears in especially egregious form in the guise "New Age" spirituality. For some reason Native American/Indian culture, especially, has captured the attention of popularizers who would cheapen it.

This project is one offensive on that front.

Thanks for publishing the video.

It's here they got the range/ and the machinery for change/ and it's here they got the spiritual thirst. --Leonard Cohen

by karmsy on Mon Apr 21, 2014 at 04:25:25 PM PDT

•  We stold their land. (8+ / 0-)

Didn't the culture come with it?

/snark

•  "Manifest destiny" or "the white man's burden" (5+ / 0-)

or whatever it was that justified whites' appropriation of Indian lands in past centuries, infuses the psyche of mainstream culture today. Its relationship to Native culture is very condescending, still.

by karmsy on Mon Apr 21, 2014 at 04:40:13 PM PDT

•  I have had the privilege of working with a (5+ / 0-)

large number of contemporary native American Indian artists and I can say with out a doubt that here in the southwest the fight against cultural appropriation is a real one, one with real consequences.

For a great many people the greater the oppression the greater the authenticity. That's why more and more rich white techies are moving into Oakland and it's why a lot of people appropriate native culture. Cannupa's work and the work of the other folks involved, are just great on so many levels, from a basic aesthetic sense to the deeper political sense.

No War but Class War

by AoT on Mon Apr 21, 2014 at 05:04:11 PM PDT

•  Hey, "gentrification." (2+ / 0-)
        AoT, FarWestGirl

We spot something interesting and organic, we move in and take it over, homogenizing it.

by karmsy on Mon Apr 21, 2014 at 05:08:44 PM PDT

•  I lived near Taos for 10 (4+ / 0-)
        AoT, karmsy, Shawn87, FarWestGirl

years and watched the people move in from New York and California and immediately assume they had an entire pueblo  full of new best friends. My neighbor, a very popular folksinger, took advantage of the pueblo singers.

I am a photographer and it is really hard for me to watch others move in "for the kill". And I've seen it so many times. It is embarrassing for me.

If I wasn't Bob Dylan, I'd probably think that Bob Dylan has a lot of answers myself. Bob Dylan

by weezilgirl on Mon Apr 21, 2014 at 05:18:18 PM PDT

•  I Moved to Santa Fe from Oakland (2+ / 0-)
          Richard Lyon, FarWestGirl

and now live in Taos and right now the thing that excites me most is getting things like this out to a broader audience so that these folks can make this shit happen.

Being involved with these folks definitely influences and improves my art, but the way that other white folks leverage it is just disgusting.

No War but Class War

by AoT on Mon Apr 21, 2014 at 05:52:19 PM PDT

•  I was at a function (that I had been asked to (2+ / 0-)
            AoT, FarWestGirl

photograph) at Gallup  and during the prayer a white man walked up and got right up against a young Hopi man and took a picture. When the man "started", the white guy did the "perfect" sign. I collared him later and he said he was going to use the photographs to do 4X6 paintings for a gallery in LA. I am very petite but I grew about three feet when he said that. I made him give me his film. I told him I would kill him if he didn't hand it to me. :) He gave it to me and I destroyed it. Then I explained why I  wasn't going to let him ruin a very important ceremony for a young man. I really do believe he "got" it.

I spent 10 years on the road with members of the Navajo, Hopi and Ute tribes and my photography is completely different than it was when we started. I will forever be grateful for that experience.

by weezilgirl on Mon Apr 21, 2014 at 06:55:47 PM PDT

• Rescued (23)
  • Education (23)
  • Republicans (22)
  • Health Care (21)
  • Politics (21)
  • Barack Obama (21)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site