View Diary: Glenn Greenwald called Iraq war protestors hardcore communists and truly odious. (340 comments)

•  There's also this line in the diary (3+ / 0-)
    WB Reeves, Brecht, BradyB
    His ridiculous dismissiveness of the Iraq protestors' true intentions sounds like it came right out of the mouth of Dick Cheney.
    He wasn't being dismissive of Iraq Protesters, He writes other entries not to long after where he sticks up for Dean when the right attacks Dean for saying the US was losing the war in Iraq. He attacked them because they were communists. It's a world of difference.

No War but Class War

by AoT on Fri Jun 20, 2014 at 11:38:59 AM PDT

•  As I said before, I think it goes beyond simply (0+ / 0-)

attacking Communists. Just as the red scares of the 20's and 50's went beyond attacks on Communists.

I think it is pretty clear that GG was attempting to de-legitimize war opponents who operated outside the consensus of US "national interest." Communism and Castroism were simply expedient clubs for that purpose.

We'll just have to disagree about this.

Nothing human is alien to me.

by WB Reeves on Fri Jun 20, 2014 at 12:22:40 PM PDT

•  If that were the case then wh would he also (2+ / 0-)
        WB Reeves, BradyB

defend opponents of the war at home? A mere 20 days later. It makes no sense.

Which puts him firmly in the mainstream of American politics. Shit, there's folks who are considered leftish that do that. To call that "hyperbolic teabagger rhetoric" is absurd. Was anyone under the impression that GG was pushing for communist revolution?

No War but Class War

by AoT on Fri Jun 20, 2014 at 12:37:42 PM PDT

•  Where did he defend opponents of the war (1+ / 0-)
          AoT

who had anything other than his approved "consensus" view of "national interest"?

Isn't it a little odd for you and I to find ourselves on opposite sides here? Don't you find it strange to be defending comments that exclude all but mainstream opposition to the Iraq war?

Nothing human is alien to me.

by WB Reeves on Fri Jun 20, 2014 at 12:49:52 PM PDT

•  My point is only that this diary (2+ / 0-)
            WB Reeves, Brecht

and others seek to portray him as some evil right wing libertarian teabagger when that just isn't in what he wrote. What he wrote is firmly in the mainstream political frame and even centrists democrats generally agree with it. I don't agree with it, but that's not the point. The point is that he's not making a sweeping generalization about people who opposed the war as the diary suggests. That's all.

I'm not defending them, I'm noting that they don't lump all opposition to the war together. That's it. He's no radical in either direction. I would be happier if more journalists took the left seriously, but if we dismissed journalists because they thought of communists like he does then we'd be left with no journalists to listen to.

I'm just baffled as to where the "Hyperbolic teabagger rhetoric" charge comes from. This is standard American political rhetoric. I don't agree with most of it, but it's not hyperbolic compared to anything else on the oped page, and less so in 2005.

No War but Class War

by AoT on Fri Jun 20, 2014 at 12:58:36 PM PDT

•  You have a point about "hyperbolic, tea party (1+ / 0-)
              AoT

rhetoric". Again, such things contributed to my decision not to rec the diary.

I'm not suggesting that we dismiss GG or any journalist on the basis of their politics. I am suggesting that it's bad policy to obscure or ignore real political differences.

Nothing human is alien to me.

by WB Reeves on Fri Jun 20, 2014 at 01:08:53 PM PDT