View Diary: Opening the Door (281 comments)

•  You're right (none)
    if he had recited this paragraph, or even paraphrased it, that would have been news. If he had mentioned zones of privacy or even said "ninth" it would have been significant. But he didn't.

Progressives believe in a strong, effective American government: balancing budgets, empowering people, & helping the least among us.

by BrianVA on Tue Sep 13, 2005 at 07:58:33 AM PDT

•  I am sorry (none)
      But you are missing the point. Do you think he will deny the 9th?

And did you not hear him say that right to privacy has been recognized by the SCOTUS for 80 years?

He was unequivocal.

I think you are now grasping at straws.

Which leads me to this question, do YOU believe in the right to privacy as recognized in Griswold?

The SCOTUS is Extraordinary.

by Armando on Tue Sep 13, 2005 at 08:01:14 AM PDT

•  Yes McCarthy (none)
        what the hell are you talking about? Of course I do. You doubt my stripes b/c we don't agree on parsing his words? Come off it.

by BrianVA on Tue Sep 13, 2005 at 08:05:29 AM PDT

•  McCarthy? (none)
          I asked you a direct question. I accused you of nothing.

You have 13 comments, including those in this thread, for history.

I have no idea what your views are. And your comments gave me no evidence of what they were.

See, I base my judgments on evidence. You had no evidence of your views.

The SCOTUS is Extraordinary.

by Armando on Tue Sep 13, 2005 at 08:25:30 AM PDT

•  sorry to intrude in a lawyers' argument (none)
        but I think the issue is whether he believes that "the right to privacy" is protected THROUGH the 9th, i.e. whether it's a broad fundamental right inherent in the Constitution and underlying the specific enumerated rights rather than a narrow general term that describes only what's been explicitly mentioned in these enumerated rights. As you've suggested, I think this point is what needs to be hammered on now that the door has been opened.

remember your humanity, and forget the rest

by human on Tue Sep 13, 2005 at 09:53:28 AM PDT

•  I'm not a lawyer, but the fact that he (4.00)
      outlined the others, but specifically not the ninth seemed particularly odd to me, too.

By omission on purpose.  The unenumerated rights is the area where he can fudge.

Our... constitutional heritage rebels at the thought of giving government the power to control men's minds. Thurgood Marshall

by bronte17 on Tue Sep 13, 2005 at 08:17:54 AM PDT