View Diary: They knew highways would be jammed...they were jammed in Florida 4 times last year. (39 comments)

•  the buses (none)
    Does that last bus look empty to anyone else?  I saw it yesterday and wondered.  I'm not familiar with Houston but I surmise that based upon the traffic flow, it's leaving.

There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty.--John Adams

by tvb on Thu Sep 22, 2005 at 07:26:58 PM PDT

•  aoeu (none)
      Sure looks empty to me.

every turtle knows
      Bush and the Republicans
      worship just Mammon

by TealVeal on Thu Sep 22, 2005 at 07:40:54 PM PDT

•  They all look empty (none)
      Either that or Houston has some really short people being evacuated.  Another diary showed the buses from the side and they didn't look like they had many people on them at all.
    •  Based on the signs (none)
      these buses are heading out of Galveston, bound north toward Houston.  And considering that Houston is a big city, these buses will likely take a detour around the city, but likely will still get caught up and stopped by the Houston exodus.
      •  hoping that's the case (none)
        with all the blundering, stumbling, tripping on shoelaces recently (i.e., big rigs departing Sacramento for NO, loaded with precious bags of ice, only to be told park it and wait ((and wait and wait and wait)) finally told to go back whence they came--yet another tale of duncery revealed today), frankly a convoy of empty school buses pulling out of Houston wouldn't surprise me much

but again, hoping you're right.

Is nothing secular?

by aitchdee on Thu Sep 22, 2005 at 09:26:18 PM PDT

•  Definitely empty - look at the truck (none)
      just behind the convoy. The occupant is plain to see. If the bus had riders, you'd see some heads. (Golly, forget the truck; we've all seen school buses loaded with plainly visible children (who are generally short, to point out the obvious).

Is nothing secular?

by aitchdee on Thu Sep 22, 2005 at 09:12:45 PM PDT

•  My guess (none)
      Is that the privately owned bus company chose to get the buses out of harm's way and didn't much care that they could be used for evacuations. Of course, I could be wrong, because that almost implies that private industry does not do everything better than government.
      •  it hadn't occured to me (none)
        but now that you mention it, I just bet you're right :(

I hope our cynicism proves unwarranted.

Is nothing secular?

by aitchdee on Thu Sep 22, 2005 at 09:32:07 PM PDT

•  That would suck (none)
        If that were actually the case.  I know people are using this image as a "See!  We're using our buses.", but when I point out how empty they are...
        •  Gosh, I hope that isn't the case (none)
          Talk about heartless...moving empty, privately owned buses past people out of gas on the highway if that is the case.

However, I do think this may very well be our "the buses that weren't used" picture next time some nutwinger puts out that NOLA picture.

by tvb on Thu Sep 22, 2005 at 10:27:43 PM PDT