View Diary: Miers Confirmation Hearing Will be Pure Gold (321 comments)

•  madman, practically speaking.... (4.00)
    is there ANY chance whatsoever that a filibuster will work? i had hoped so, before hearing the Democratic comments. But if Reid and Feinstein and others are praising her, the likelihood that the Democrats can filibuster is nonexistent.

I have no doubt she's a political hack. I've called her that in my comments this morning.  No one hangs out with these people for almost two decades without sharing some common ideology.

And let's call her on that. Let's go all out, gloves off. But let's also remember that confirmation hearings are about more than just hearing yourself talk.

Schumer and Biden especially need to understand that confirmation hearings are not about talking for the sake of talking, but about talking with a purpose.  Every question should be targeted towards (a) investigating Miers and her qualifications, views, etc and (b) serving a larger purpose of exposing the Bush administration scandals to the American public.

Do we all wish the Democrats would stick together in full force and demand a better nominee?  Of course.  But our party spine isn't fully formed, and our party's soul is still lost....so until then, we should make the best out of a bad situation.  And by "make the best" I mean use these hearings to make Bush wish he never nominated her.

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty..." - Lincoln

by Georgia Logothetis on Mon Oct 03, 2005 at 09:14:09 AM PDT

•  I agree with you completely, Georgia. (none)
      Everyone has been perseverating on the Democrats not making enough noise about all of the Republican corruption.  It seems that this nominee is a golden opportunity to investigate ALL of the corruption of the Bush administration.  I hope it goes on and on and on and on.  ;-)
      •  This is probably a dumb (none)
        question, but is there any possibility that Reid recommended Meiers because he knew there would be an opportunity to highlight her role in the scandals?  Maybe I'm just grasping at straws...
        •  I have wondered this myself (none)
          But if so, then the Dems have to actually QUESTION her during the hearings, rather than simply bloviate.

"Our enemy is innovative and resourceful and so are we. Our enemy never stops thinking of new ways to harm us and our country, and neither do we." G.W. Bush

by litigatormom on Mon Oct 03, 2005 at 10:36:04 AM PDT

•  Does anybody have any idea where Reid (none)
          would know her from?  I lived in Nevada and loved Harry Reid until he voted for the bankruptcy bill.  I do know that he is industrious and tenacious and respect the job he has done with the above exception.  It would not surprise me to think that she may have been recommended because of the opportunity she would provide.  That would really be a cagey way to bring a lot of the Bush corruption up in a public way.
        •  not dumb (none)
          We need to press our reps much harder to get their REASONING on their support/non-support.  Too many got away with not answering to their constituents with Roberts.

If Jesus Christ came back today and saw what was being done in his name, he'd never stop throwing up... - Hannah and Her Sisters

by AlyoshaKaramazov on Mon Oct 03, 2005 at 11:33:10 AM PDT

•  I agree. (none)
            My senators are Kennedy and Kerry.  I don't know what Kerry will do yet, but he'll probably vote no if he really wants to run for president again (he has no chance anyway).  But I may write to some of the other members of the committee too, because I want the confirmation process to go on for a long time.  I'd like it to stretch past the point when Fitzgerald hands down indictments (fingers crossed).
    •  Should any of those scandals reach (none)
      the Supreme Court, as Bush's previous councel on those matters will she recuse herself from the cases?
    •  But Georgia, I see these key Dems (none)
      praising her because they are thinking, 'Whew, now I don't have to act like I care about those screamers on the Internet.'

They know what this site is about and what the real left is calling for. They KNOW it. They don't want to do it. I don't think they have any intention of fully forming a spine. Call me a cynic; I think they want to remain invertebrates for the duration and that this is a calculated move.

•  the filibuster is more (none)
      than just a mechanism to block something.

The filibuster is political theater. Something "our" representatives have NO taste for. It's a dramatic way to highlight differences as well as slow down/stop a nominee or piece of legislation.

They won't do that b/c they are fine w/ the Republican agenda. I see little or no sign that Schumer and Reid and the rest give a rats ass about our concerns.

Whatever happened to: threatened yesterday to bring the chamber to a virtual standstill?

Oh, that's right, they'd only fight if their perogative as Senators to HAVE filibusters (not necessarilly USE them) was threatened.

They care only about themselves and their corporate patrons. They are fine w/ the Republican business agenda, their wars of hegemony and many of them are fine w/ Republican social policies.

We have no party.

•  Absolutely right (4.00)
        This is making me really angry.

Neither the Senate Democrats nor most Kossacks seem to understand basic politics.

A filibuster is political theater. If we lose, so what? None of you seem to expect to win this fight anyway. So what's the harm in making a stand, showing Americans we'll fight for our values against cronyism?

georgia10 has shown us the way forward. Let's take it.

I'm not part of a redneck agenda - Green Day

by eugene on Mon Oct 03, 2005 at 10:05:50 AM PDT

•  I'm not sure (none)
          that staging political theatre in which Democrats lose is the wisest of all possible presentations. This would possibly a) unify the right against the 'obstructionist left' at a time when they're falling apart, b) distract the media from DeLay/Plame/etc., c) stage a dramatic climax in which Democrats are revealed as 'losers'.

This is political theatre. The question is, what play do we stage which most benefits us, and the country? I'm not convinced a filibuster is our best option.

Let there be sharks - TracieLynn

by GussieFN on Mon Oct 03, 2005 at 10:47:53 AM PDT

•  Know why Bush never uses the veto? (none)
            It's for that very reason -- he doesn't want to risk seeing it overturned, and thus looking like a "loser" -- or worse, someone at war with his own party.
          •  They're not falling apart (4.00)
            It will take a LOT to convince the freepi to abandon Bush and the GOP. Where else are they going to go? Right now all they're doing is throwing a temper tantrum because they did not get the avowed, overt wingnut they hoped would validate their own lunacy.

So far I see zero concrete evidence of any split on the right. Disagreements are not actual splits.

You are right that a Dem filibuster would unify them in opposition. But I don't see any indication that they will split over this nomination.

I'm not part of a redneck agenda - Green Day

by eugene on Mon Oct 03, 2005 at 11:08:21 AM PDT

•  the right (none)
            staged political protest after protest: walking out on votes, filibusters, threatened filibusters ... they lost and lost and ...

... then they won, and they've held increasing power ever since. How do you think they GOT there?

•  But political theatre of this sort (none)
              isn't the foundation of the right's power. If we had a similar base--a nationwide network of prayer groups, talk radio, gospel hour, nightly-news, etc.--then I'd agree, the right loss is a wonderful to whip the base into a frenzy. But we don't have such a base yet. We haven't spent the time and money on the 'hot-button' issues, so our political theatre plays like, 'we went down in a blaze of glory to save the unborn.' That's just not the show that the American people will see: they'll see the 'obstructionist Democrat' show ... because the Republican have been putting posters up all over town for the past ten years, advertising.

Shit that works for them won't work for us. They build a movement, an identity, they bound together God and party and the American Way ... and all we have is science and reality and good public policy.

Let there be sharks - TracieLynn

by GussieFN on Mon Oct 03, 2005 at 12:40:02 PM PDT

•  Republicans used this tactic very effectively... (none)
            ...to build their base.  No reason it can't be used similarly on our side.  When I think of political theater, I think first and foremost of the hearings.  The senate floor is a ways off from there.
      •  Hearings are also political theater... (none)
        ...and will, hopefully, be used as such.

I especially look forward to her being asked about 50 different things which she responds to be saying that there's attorney-client privelege involved.  Then being asked 50 times if she will recuse herself from those matters?

After all, a judge should not sit in judgment of anything they had direct involvement with, right?

This ain't just a hunting trip...

•  Yes Indeed (none)
        The whole gang of them-the chummy Senate Democrats-and a large share of the House Democrats-have no intention to fight for the people who voted for them.  They will sit in the Senate dining hall with their free meals and free cars and travel accounts and they will be wined and dined by corporate lobbyists and travel all over the world on the corporate dime-and then they will go and vote for the corporate Bankruptcy bill and do nothing to fight for union rights or unemployment extensions or opposing the Iraq war.  They are pathetic, and every new day I get more evidence of their cowardice and collusion with the Republicans.

Reid should have kept his distance until he found out more about her-and what little I have found out on the Internet in the past hour has left me deeply disturbed.  The fact that Reid and Schumer and others are not deeply disturbed about this woman, about her stealth unknown positions, about her membership in a wingnut, fundamentalist church, about her being a Bush crony who sought to shelter Bush on his drunk driving record and National Guard record, is reason enough to at least have kept their damned mouths shut.

We will know all is lost if Kennedy joins the gutless circus.  All eyes are now on Hillary.

•  The only surefire way to lose a battle is never to (none)
      fight! The one thing that drives me nuts about democrats is the fact that we never ask what do I want. We all know that one of the best ways to be unhappy in life is to let your circumstances dictate your mood or how you feel about your life. The democrats in Washington always react to circumstances instead of saying this is what we want and so lets go for it. They may not have a fully formed spine, but in the blogosphere we can put some pressure on them. You really lose nothing by suiting up for a ight when Bush has 40% approval after ou just confirmed one Supreme Court justice. We stand to lose everything with a conservative court. This is more important than tactics. Some things are about convictions and values- the American people will rightly judge democrats on whether they have convictions that they are willing to fight for. Because if we don't fight for our convictions when it is hard, why should the American people believe that we will fight for them? Maybe it is time we stop saying I wish I had the democratic party I wanted. Maybe we should start forcing these guys to act like the democrats we need.
    •  Now I understand your point (none)
      At first I didn't, but when you boil it down to "making the best of a bad situation", it makes more sense.

I just saw Schumer on C-SPAN saying that the fact that she is not a judge is a positive, in his opinion.  (I thought "What???")  Earlier I heard that Reid recommended her.  (I thought "You have to be kidding.")  This blows my mind, of course, but I guess it shouldn't.  As you said the soul of the party is lost at the moment and too many of them have no intention of truly getting tough or finding their ethical compass, or any such thing.

With that as a (hard to accept) given, I can agree that in this situation, perhaps the hearings for this nominee can be used effectively to further the cause of gaining majority in the Congress, and then ousting this administration as soon as possible (and in the meantime ousting whomever can be taken out by other means such as indictment.)

This has to be our main focus and priority above all others.  Losing this Supreme Court seat is awful, especially to a poorly qualified crony - but the seat was probably lost anyway.  I just have a hard time accepting that, and accepting the knocks that come with being the minority.  So all the more reason to pursue the majority, above all else, and stop the bleeding.

It doesn't give me much comfort though.  I find it to be another disgrace at the hands of this administration, and more erosion of everything which we hold sacred in the U.S.  It's political gold perhaps, but very expensive gold.

Also, if these Senators in the party which has lost its soul are the designated players in said gold rush, can we count on them to do it well?

I'm afraid that they are just breathing a sigh of relief that they won't have to be involved in the filibuster nuclear war.

"Let him that would move the world first move himself." --Socrates

by joanneleon on Mon Oct 03, 2005 at 12:06:37 PM PDT