View Diary: Miers Confirmation Hearing Will be Pure Gold (321 comments)

•  No, not to confirm (4.00)
    Never said in my diary they SHOULD confirm her. Just said her confirmation seems likely.

My position is that voting for ANY bush nominee at this point is the equivalent of Bush giving Tenet the Medal of Freedom.  It's rewarding incompetence, in my book, and if I were a congresscritter, I'd vote against this nominee based this on that principle alone.

Plus, asking the hard questions may reveal something which clearly would call for a filibuster. We simply don't know.  But we'll never get an answer if we're too timid to ask.

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty..." - Lincoln

by Georgia Logothetis on Mon Oct 03, 2005 at 09:43:07 AM PDT

•  Yeah, but... (none)
      ...already Reid is indicating the Dems will go Roberts on this nomination. The Dems once again have no plan or strategy on this - even if it were to follow the path you suggest.

I'm not part of a redneck agenda - Green Day

by eugene on Mon Oct 03, 2005 at 09:46:10 AM PDT

•  Eugene (4.00)
        I think that's it exactly.  You get absolutely no sense that Democratic leadership has met even via conference call to go through salient points around each potential nominee - and believe me, she was rumored in with all the others.

HEY - why haven't you visited my blog?

by RenaRF on Mon Oct 03, 2005 at 09:48:14 AM PDT

•  So? (none)
          Why should they waste time doing research on all the decoys?  Now that she's nominated there will be plenty of time to circle the wagons, so to speak.  It may come to pass (as some people seem to think) that the dems will roll over, and that would be inexcusable on their part.  But give them a chance to do the right thing before you pillory them...

Being called vindictive and partisan by Tom DeLay is like being called ugly by a frog. -- Ronnie Earle

by John H on Mon Oct 03, 2005 at 09:55:09 AM PDT

•  The thing is, John,... (none)
            ...we're STILL waiting for them to fire back at the Willie Horton and the Swift Boat ads. Their track record ain't so great...

"When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can become deadly projectiles." -- despair.com

by Newton Snookers on Mon Oct 03, 2005 at 10:02:54 AM PDT

•  In a perfect world (none)
            I agree with you completely.  However, the signals are already there as to a Democratic capitulation (which may, in fact, be warranted - or it may not - who knows?).  I would merely like to see some organization just generally speaking and that is where my comment came from.

HEY - why haven't you visited my blog?

by RenaRF on Mon Oct 03, 2005 at 12:10:05 PM PDT

•  We're not going to see it. (none)
            The Dems won't fight Miers except in a pro forma fashion.

The fucking Dems don't fight, period.  They would have rolled over and allowed the Republicans to carry out a coup d'etat against Clinton; it took Larry fucking Flynt to save the Clinton presidency.  The Dems refused to fight in any sort of concerted fashion after the election theft of 2000.  They didn't even put up a squawk after the election theft of 2004.  They haven't fought for anything in any real fashion since the Robert Bork nomination.

If someone like Howard Dean would lead a revolt and form a new party based on progressive ideals and political, I'd be out of this goddamned jellyfish party in a heartbeat.

•  Your Strategy is Fine (none)
      ...except that it's totally incompatible with Dem senators who are already indicating they'll vote yes on Miers.

Couldn't agree with you more that Bush and his nominee, given the utter stench of corruption around his whole administration and party, should be rejected by every Dem in the Senate. And look, there's some pigs flying outside my window!

"This president believes government should be limited not in size but in effectiveness."
      --The Daily Show

by bramish on Mon Oct 03, 2005 at 09:59:38 AM PDT

•  She's a decoy (none)
        Bush is putting her up knowing that the rabid right will shoot her down -- and THEN he'll reveal his REAL nominee:

Alberto Gonzales.

You heard it from me first.

•  Possible (none)
          but I doubt it.  I think Miers is perfect for their purposes.  She's a woman, which in and of itself guts concerted Democratic opposition if her name isn't Kirkpatrick, Schlafly, or Coulter.  She's not a known factor, and she's got some good personal relationships with Senate Dems like Reid and Schumer.

But, like EVERY OTHER GODDAMNED POLITICAL APPOINTEE IN BUSH'S FIVE-YEAR TENURE, she's a Judas.  She's as rabid and sickeningly conservative as any of them.  She will toxify this court with her right-wing hate and intolerance(wrapped in Southern sweet-talk, a la Libby Dole) for generations.

Thanks, Dems, for not fighting.  If you'll allow Bush to name his legal nanny to the Court with barely a whimper, then fuck your spineless goddamned excuse for a party.  I'm gone.

•  Right on Man!!! (none)
            I couldn't agree more.  If we allow the balance of the Supreme Court to be thrown into a rightwing, corporatist, evangelical wingnut majority for the next 30 years, then I will be right behind you in the line out of this gutless Democratic party.  What good is it if it can't use what tools it does have- THE FILIBUSTER - to guarantee that we don't get a stealth Bush evanglical corporatist wingnut appointed to the highest Court in the land!!

Democratic leaders, listen hard and long-if you cave in on this without finding out exactly how this woman believes on the important social and economic issues of our day-like you caved in to the stealth corporatist "original intent" candidate poster boy-Roberts-I swear, I will bolt the Democratic Party for the Greens or Socialists faster than you can say "damned chicken-shit gutless cowards.!!!"