View Diary: Energy from the Moon (165 comments)

•  Falling leaf energy! (4.00)
    Seriously, how many leaves fall out of trees in this country. Trees all over the country expend tons of energy growing leaves on high branches. All we need to do is set up little turbines with leaf collector arms in forests. Okay, it's not perfect, but it just shows that energy is everywhere, and in the 21st century energy costs should be plummetting instead of soaring.

Great research on tidal energy.

I am totally confident not that the world will get better, but that we should not give up the game... -Howard Zinn

by Jawis on Fri Nov 11, 2005 at 05:53:03 AM PST

•  Leaves: the greatest transfer of energy (none)
      The fall of leaves each year is the greatest transfer of energy in the world.  But I would hesitate to suggest "harvesting" this energy source when it is already being naturally utilized to build our soils and feed the organisms that lead to our food.

Imagine the Bushite scum building huge leaf burning plants to go along with their "healthy forests" and "clear skies" initiatives.  They would pillage the national forests and pollute the air to line the pockets of their cronies.

The first step to any realistic energy policy in the US is simple:  Impeach Cheney. Step two:  Impeach Bush.

•  I agree, (none)
        but my plan would still allow the leaves to decompose as usual. They would fall through the turbine and to the ground; kind of like a water wheel, but with leaves. You would just have a bunch of these near useless turbines cluttering up your forrests, and transmission cables buried everywhere. It's an almost perfect plan.

by Jawis on Fri Nov 11, 2005 at 07:42:39 AM PST

•  Like your sig line and Howard Zinn (none)
          This was a LOL comment, thanks for brightening my day:

"You would just have a bunch of these near useless turbines cluttering up your forests, and transmission cables buried everywhere. It's an almost perfect plan."

Howard Zinn is great, did you watch his biographical DVD?  Title was something about a moving train.

I give his book, "The People's History of the US" to all of my nieces and nephews when they are in high school.

•  Howard Zinn (none)
            Unfortunately, I have not seen his biographical DVD. I'm not very familiar with his work. I've only read an excerpt from The People's History of the US back in college, and the Salon article I quote in my sig. I really like what I've read and heard about him, and I've meant to pick up The People's History of the US for awhile, but haven't gotten around to it.

by Jawis on Fri Nov 11, 2005 at 09:49:32 AM PST

•  Howard Zinn- see the DVD, read the books! (none)
              You are certainly a prime candidate to learn more about Howard Zinn, he is someone who has lived and fought for what he believes in.  The companion book to "People's History of the US" is also good, he gives many quotes from real americans, not just the rich cronies who often write the "official" history books.

The DVD is:
              Howard Zinn - You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train (2004)

•  Hot air (none)
          In the same vein, all corrupt politicians and talking heads should be required to wear little turbines to get something useful out of all the hot air they are spouting.

Oh, and how about a device in your cell phone that harvests your breath when you speak?

Oh, and eating more garlic and peppers to give the breath energy more oomph ...  Truly, the possibilities are endless.  ;)

•  Making the Tree Your Bitch (none)
      Billions of little turbines connected to leaf catching platforms on levers!  Then, we can collect the leaves and burn them, providing the energy needed to raise the little levers back into position for the next leaf!

This technology would provide an added incentive to plant more trees, making the hippies happy.

No one steal the title above, I'm using that for my upcoming book.

•  What about genetically modifying... (none)
        trees, so their leaves had thousands of tiny nano-turbines - and the stem of each leaf contained a microwave transmitter?

As they fell, the turbines would spin, and the transmitter would send the power to a central location (the trunk?  ...sorry...) for collection...

JF

Invest in your future - VOTE DIEBOLD!

by Jaime Frontero on Fri Nov 11, 2005 at 08:22:49 AM PST

•  Genetically modified leaf solar panels? (none)
          Or, we could wire up every tree to a huge battery, hoping to collect lightning strikes.
          •  Great Idea! (none)
            Wouldn't it be awesome if instead of leaves trees had some sort of devices that would collect energy from the sun and turn it into chemical energy that could be used some how. Man, if we only had something like that.

by Jawis on Fri Nov 11, 2005 at 09:06:01 AM PST

•  Like creating oxygen? (none)
              You've got it, maybe the trees could take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen?  Oh, sorry, President Ray-gun told me that "trees pollute", and since I believe all REpub lies, I have cut down all the little polluters around my house- no more leaves for me!!

Nothing like a little ID education to straighten out the world, and it's all faith-based, no wonder the idiot Bush supports it.

•  oh sure... (none)
              you libruls always think we can create energy resources out of sunshine and hot air.  typical.

while you're fantasizing about these magical trees that create chemicals out of light, why don't you go ahead and have them drip sweet sugar syrup while you're at it?  something that tastes good on waffles, preferably.  you know, up there in vermont.

</irony-impaired wingnut>

we'd better decide now if we are going to be fearless men or scared boys.
              — e.d. nixon, montgomery improvement association

by zeke L on Fri Nov 11, 2005 at 10:42:12 AM PST

•  Sorry - batteries couldn't handle... (none)
            ...the surge.  You'd have to use capacitors.

But a great idea!

JF

Invest in your future - VOTE DIEBOLD!

by Jaime Frontero on Fri Nov 11, 2005 at 09:12:20 AM PST

•  Energy doesn't grow on trees! (none)