View Diary: Cars Cause Republicanism (338 comments)

•  I just don't agree with any of this (4.00)
    and you can throw troll ratings at me, I don't care.

What if you don't like living in cities but you still have to work? Is there something wrong with leaving the city everyday to escape to the country where you can actually hear birds sing and squirrels chatter?

Not everyone who lives in a rural area and drives a car is a knuckledragging, neocon, neanderthal. And I think a lot of you are a bunch of stuck-up elitists.

There I said it.

I'm not a slacker...I'm just surrounded by overachievers!

by arkylib on Wed Jan 04, 2006 at 05:18:18 AM PST

•  I'd be surprised if anyone troll rates you. (4.00)
      You are right in that there are uses for cars. I own a little one and love taking an occasional trip to the mountains. But I know folks who drive four blocks to work! That's right FOUR DAMN BLOCKS. We are talking about public policy, not individual need here.

Do not feel safe. The poet remembers.
      Czeslaw Milosz

by Chris Kulczycki on Wed Jan 04, 2006 at 05:29:07 AM PST

•  Then I apoligize... (none)
        for the elitist snob remark.

If I did live only 4 blocks from work, I would walk. When I was in college, I walked everywhere I went, sometimes 2-3 miles. No wonder I was so skinny in college.

I'm not a slacker...I'm just surrounded by overachievers!

by arkylib on Wed Jan 04, 2006 at 05:33:21 AM PST

•  When I was in college... (none)
          I rode my bike everywhere.  I would even make trips to the grocery store and load up my backpack.  It didn't help at all with dating, but on the other hand kept me fit.

Driving 4 blocks to work is absolutely ridiculous.  But I look at it this way:  That person is so lazy... but that is their choice.  The consequences of that choice is that they're most likely overweight and unhappy.. and people will judge them for their laziness.

Sinclair Lewis' "It Can't Happen Here"... Wake the fuck up America! IT'S HAPPENING HERE!!!

by wintersnowman on Wed Jan 04, 2006 at 06:02:56 AM PST

•  It has deeper consequences (4.00)
            Air polution, noise polution, depletion of natural resources, etc. Those are shared by all of us. A wasteful decisions involving autos, on the mass scale they occur, affect everyone, including those who do not make those choices.

The real heart of the problem -- and the reason it's so hard to solve -- is the decision society makes about the automobile. Society is the sum total of individual choices interacting with each other -- no one person's decision controls it. One must convince a large portion of the people to change their behavior before any progress occurs.

Society is the collective, and we're stuck with that even if we don't like it. The health of the collective is something the right just doesn't care about (indeed, practially comes right out and admits it hates) -- except when it comes to irrational defense, of course...

•  Exactly (4.00)
              Poor investment in public transit leads to inferior alternatives to cars, which leads to many many people sitting on highways-turned-parking lots during rush hour.  It's a public policy issue to make it not only possible, but desirable, for more people to live a more car-free life.

How can we get over it when people died for the right to vote? -- John Lewis

by furryjester on Wed Jan 04, 2006 at 07:26:19 AM PST

•  Re: squirrels (none)
      I live in a leafy neighborhood in Baltimore. I take the bus to work everyday. It can be done. That said, I don't have any kids yet so I'm not constricted by school systems.
      •  right there! (none)
        this is what makes me crazy!

You have no idea what my life is like but yet you can make assumptions about what I can do. I don't live in Maryland...I live in Arkansas. I have to make my choices based on many factors not the least of which is schools, affordable housing, and safe neighborhoods. And I don't want my neighbors living under my elbow which is why I prefer to commute 60 miles a day.

I'm not a slacker...I'm just surrounded by overachievers!

by arkylib on Wed Jan 04, 2006 at 06:54:37 AM PST

•  umm (none)
          GP didn't make any assumptions. YOU made the assumption that you have to live in 'the country' to see squirrels, and the GP properly refuted that assumption with their real-life example.

... but two out of three ain't bad.
      •  Squirrels Cause Republicans (4.00)
        Where I grew up (upstate South Carolina) there are more squirrels than you can shake a stick at.

In south Charlotte, likewise lots of squirrels.

In both areas, lots of Republicans.

Where I live now...not so many squirrels, and lots of Democrats.

I've been keeping my observations to myself, but I think now is the time to share. :)

Never let being humane get in the way of being human. And vice-versa.

by cskendrick on Wed Jan 04, 2006 at 07:13:43 AM PST