View Diary: Bush Advocated Violent Overthrow of US Government - ? (323 comments)

•  actually (1+ / 0-)
    libertyisliberal

according to historians this plot was probably not actually a plot at all, and Butler was most likely only approached by one overenthusiastic FDR hater who had been egged on by his friends who all hated Roosevelt.  Historians describe it essentially as a bunch of elites sitting around discussing how great it would be if he were dead, and one of them went to far, along with a servant or waiter who overheard this and confirmed the story.  I don't anything about Prescott Bush's involvment, but this coup plot was about as real as the "terrorist" who tried to blow up the Brooklyn Bridge with a blowtorch.  It was essentially ignored at the time and swept under the rug then for good reason.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - HST, RIP

by Chris Dub on Wed Jul 25, 2007 at 11:21:45 PM PDT

•  that sounds like how (5+ / 0-)

The Boston Tea Party got started.  They were all sitting around discussing the British tyranny and then spontaneously decided to do something about ... that night.

Or at least that is how I understood it.

And the rest is history...

I admit I haven't read about the coup plot and Gen. Butler, but it still appears to me at least, that the elites are more dangerous because their resources go way further than a blowtorch.

I don't know, really, it just seems that way from what I pick up from people writing here and diaries like this.

"Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the bastard is dead, the bitch that bore him is again in heat." -Bertolt Brecht

by Jeffersonian Democrat on Thu Jul 26, 2007 at 12:34:09 AM PDT

•  This is what they want us to believe. They almos (8+ / 0-)

assinated him with a lone crazy loon I know.  It was swept under the rug for what good reason?  There was an investigation to some extent and there was evidence that could have been used.

When I read your post I automatically wonder if you work for the current government as a paid poster.  Just saying.

•  Exactly. (4+ / 0-)

Apparently Mr. Dub has bought into the meme . . . like they say on South Park:

Move along . . . nothing to see here!

"we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex" Dwight D. Eisenhower

by bobdevo on Thu Jul 26, 2007 at 06:24:27 AM PDT

•  Yes (0+ / 0-)

I'm a paid poster ... with User ID 820. I would have replied to this earlier but I'm busy studying for my comps for my PhD is US history.  Sorry.  It's really easy to believe something when it fits in so nicely with what you want to believe.  I've been trying to find out more about this plot for years and years and there is frankly not much known about it.  The whole thing was swept under the rug quickly.  But the groupthink on this site is sometimes ridiculous.  I know this site very well, and know it is not always an open forum for intellectual discussion and am completely fine with that, we need sites like this that advocate, but please lets just take a step back once in a while and think a little harder about things, especially when we are confronted with stories that so nicely dovetail with our own ideology and personal political narratives.  Why do you think people believed that there WMD's in Iraq for so long? It's not cuz they're crazy, it's because that fact went along perfectly with their own world view.  Let's try to realize that we all make that mistake sometimes.  We are all very eager to believe things that we want to believe, or things that confirm our own world views.  Sometimes it is good to step back and reanalyze these things.  I find it disheartening to be so quickly dismissed and sometimes wished people were more independent with thier own thinking.  I doubt anyone will read this because it is so late a reply but oh well.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - HST, RIP

by Chris Dub on Tue Jul 31, 2007 at 01:32:49 PM PDT

•  Nothing to see here (7+ / 0-)

please move along quietly to the next Free Speech zone.

Heart and minds, biotches!

by limaike on Thu Jul 26, 2007 at 12:58:13 AM PDT

•  "swept under the rug then for good reason" (7+ / 0-)

Would that good reason have been that a number of powerful and wealthy individuals were behind the plot? The Establishment takes care of its own.

•  According to historians??? (8+ / 0-)

Weel, geeze - it's gotta be true.  And I guess we can ignore:

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested.

. . . and as we've all heard repeatedly the Iraq War is NOT about oil.
      Would you care to see some waterfront property???

by bobdevo on Thu Jul 26, 2007 at 06:23:19 AM PDT