View Diary: Another Inconvenient Finding for Barack Obama (147 comments)

•  Yep (8+ / 0-)

That's silly. Mccain said he doesn't even understand the economy. I am not really worried about that. I suspect Obama will be quoting that line over and over again come the GE.

Also...Obama still beats Mccain in that poll.

Pennsylvania=Iowa. It won't even be close!

by jenontheshore on Mon Mar 10, 2008 at 05:20:30 PM PDT

•  Yes, he does. (3+ / 0-)
      dskinner, madgranny, JoeySky18

My point is that blue collar voters where I am from don't get Obama's message.  It's not resonating with them.  They understand McCain.

Together, we will turn promises into action, words into solutions and hope into reality. Hillary Clinton for President

by psychodrew on Mon Mar 10, 2008 at 05:22:40 PM PDT

•  Your point can't be made with one poll (1+ / 2-)
        EvilPaula
        Hidden by:
        macmcd, psychodrew

Hillary loses indies, Obama loses old racist white people.

It may be time to cleanse the party of the Ferraros.

I say, Bush = McCain and Hillary says, Hillary = McCain, therefore, Hillary = Bush. Vote Obama.

by Hope08 on Mon Mar 10, 2008 at 05:41:53 PM PDT

•  I am a person who will be lost by (0+ / 0-)

Obama because of his supporters attempting to paint anyone who does not support him as a racist.  He is the one who introduced racism into this primary and Sharpton is fanning the fire.  Shame on those who are responsible.

I troll-rated you because of the racism comment.

The soul is not the ego in drag. Ken Wilber

by macmcd on Mon Mar 10, 2008 at 06:41:17 PM PDT

•  I wrote that b/c race was a factor in (0+ / 0-)

Ohio.  the exit polls showed it.  Just b/c you HR it doesn't make it any less true.  I didn't say all Clinton supporter were racists but some are.  Some will in the GE refuse to vote for him b/c he's Black.  I'm sick of Clinton supporters playing this "you're playing the race card".  Your girl Ferraro fans those flames too.

If Obama supporters refused to vote for Hillary b/c she's a woman.  That's sexist.

by Hope08 on Mon Mar 10, 2008 at 06:48:46 PM PDT

•  I think the Ferraro was pointing out (0+ / 0-)

that Obama's coalition is made up of black voters, young voters, and up-scale Democrats.  If he were white, a lot of those white voters would go to Hillary.  I've heard a lot of other people make that argument in a less clumsy manner.

by psychodrew on Mon Mar 10, 2008 at 07:56:40 PM PDT

•  They are NOT racist. (1+ / 0-)
          votermom

They are blue-collar, down-trodden workers, the same that Obama worked with in Chicago.

They don't get his message.  It has nothing to do with race.  My parents fall into this category and I am very offended that you would call them "old racist white people."

by psychodrew on Mon Mar 10, 2008 at 08:00:39 PM PDT

•  you are right (0+ / 0-)

and Obama and his advisors need to face up to this and make an effective pitch to bluecolor folks.  I'm an Obama supporter who won't vote for Clinton but I appreciate the information in this diary--facts must be face before they can be delt with effectively.

•  What should he do? (0+ / 0-)

With your understanding of the people you grew up with, what would you recommend Obama do to get his message across?  Or do you think his actual policies miss the mark?

•  The people where I grew up (2+ / 0-)
          votermom, En Passant

are angry and cynical about politics.  Obama's talk about hope and change sound wishy-washy to them.  I checked the OH numbers for Southeast OH, near my hometown.  Hillary carried these conservative, blue-collar voters 70-30 in some places.

What Obama needs to do is empathize with the voters.  They won't vote for him if they don't think he really understands them.  The other thing he needs to do is be a fighter, an advocate.  It will be difficult to make the fit in with the hope, change, new politics theme, but I think he can do it. He's a gifted politician.

by psychodrew on Mon Mar 10, 2008 at 06:48:43 PM PDT

•  Cynicism (0+ / 0-)

Does their cynicism derive from being burned by Bill Clinton's broken promises or is it a deeper cynicism with politics?  Do you think they're aware that politics over the last 25 years been played as a game of 50+1 and if their votes aren't needed, they get ignored?

•  They aren't very found of Clinton (0+ / 0-)

where I live.

They are tired of being kicked around.  The want solutions.  If the Democrats won't deliver, they'll vote for McCain.  He's plain-spoken and he shares their views on social issues.

Oh, they follow politics very carefully where I'm from.  The attitude of these voters basically is, "I supported Democrats for all these years and they gave my jobs away.  I might as well vote for the Republican who agrees with my on abortion, gay marriage, and guns.  I know he'll screw me on economic issues, but at least he won't lie to me like the Democrats."

by psychodrew on Mon Mar 10, 2008 at 07:17:11 PM PDT