View Diary: CT-Sen: Lieberman's popularity continues to slide (161 comments)

•  Lieberman lied to the people of CT (24+ / 0-)

he told them he only disagreed with the Democrats on the Iraq war

he told them nobody wanted the troops home more than he.

and since being elected based on those lies, he has turned into Ann Coulter.

Most people now see it, better late than never I guess.

I shall not rest until right wing conservatives are 4th party gadflies limited to offering minor corrections on legislation once or twice a year.

by davefromqueens on Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 06:22:31 AM PDT

•  yeah, he lied (13+ / 0-)

but the people of CT should have known better. the writing was on the wall that Leiberman was moving to the right, evidenced by the fact that he lost his party's primary. If he was so pro-Democrat, why was he running against the party's nominee?

It's like when Kerry was saying "I voted for the war because I trusted Bush, but he lied to me." it's just a way to cover up a decision made for political expediency. and it sounds pathetic.

I have very little sympathy for the voters of CT. It is VERY easy to become an informed voter these days.

Dig down, find more. -5.38, -6.10 my fake band.

by brocktunestudios on Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 06:44:23 AM PDT

•  No sympathy for them, (3+ / 0-)
        CenterLeft, RickMassimo, writerswrite

but their screwup is screwing over all of us.

I haven't forgotten The Path to 9/11, Disney. You're still dead to me.

by beemerr on Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 07:09:34 AM PDT

•  Is there any recall of Senators? (0+ / 0-)

Is it possible to petition for a recall, or is Connecticut stuck with this guy for the next four years?

Here in CA we were able to recall our ineffective previous governor, just wondering if it is allowed by state/federal law in CT.

OldManMcCain.com - the best McCain attack blog on the web!

by existenz on Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 09:28:09 AM PDT

•  If we find someone else named Lieberman, (0+ / 0-)

can we primary him in the 2012 Connecticut for Lieberman primary?

•  He Doesn't Care! (0+ / 0-)

Repeat after me. Joe Lieberman DOES NOT CARE what the people of CT think of him now. There are no do-overs. He's Senator for the next 6 years and his attitude is "so I lied! What are you going to do about it? Ha! Ha!"

He can move on and join a McCain Administration if his efforts help get McCain elected.

If not there are always things for an ex-US Senator to do in six years time, like switching parties and running for something else, or else becoming a lobbyist. Either way he's happy giving the finger to all Democrats and anybody else who believed in him.

•  Luckily the CT for Lieberman Party is ours now... (0+ / 0-)

Check out the website.  Pretty hilarious stuff--I'm hoping somebody does decide to run on that ticket at some point, though it looks like it would be suicide in our great state.

You can chain me, torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind. -Gandhi

by New England Liberal Elitist on Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 06:30:03 PM PDT

•  pardon me (7+ / 0-)

we are not a block of blockheads. Some of us voted for Ned the first time.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

by Greg Dworkin on Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 07:21:50 AM PDT

•  obviously not criticising Lamont voters! (4+ / 0-)

I'm speaking to the people who, in the poll, voted for Leiberman, but now are all, "Had I known what I know now, I would have voted for Lamont"
          Given the subject of the article and the tone of my comment, I thought that was clear. My apologies.

Dig down, find more. -5.38, -6.10 my fake band.

by brocktunestudios on Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 07:32:23 AM PDT

•  Gullible. (2+ / 0-)
            CenterLeft, homoaffectional

It just strikes me as so bizarre that some Dems of CT would even humor believing "JoLei" as a Dem, while the guy acts, sounds and is heavily in bed with the Republicans.
            Must be something in the water.

"Its a grave digger's song, Praising God and State. So the Nation can live, So we all can remain as cattle. They demand a sacrifice..." -Flipper

by Skid on Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 07:59:17 AM PDT

•  20 years is a long time (0+ / 0-)

He was elected to the senate in the wake of the Reagan administration. The same sort of democrats that elected Reagan also voted for him.

By his own admission, the party has moved away from him since he was first elected. The state has gotten bluer over the years but there is still a ways to go. Maybe this will be the last straw.

•  I don't get this claim that the party has moved (0+ / 0-)

away from Joe.  Seems to me that instead, Joe has moved away from the party, especially in the realm of foreign policy.  Iraq has been Joe's major issue in common with the Bush regime and those Connecticut Democrats who chose to vote for him over Lamont should have known better.  The party didn't move, Joe did.

And it feels like I'm livin'in the wasteland of the free ~ Iris DeMent, 1996

by MrJersey on Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 10:54:41 AM PDT

•  Voters in Ct. (3+ / 0-)

Let's not get so antagonistic toward voters in Connecticut.  I can't think of any other state that has held a Democratic primary against a former VP candidate and longterm senator and has actually dumped the guy from the state Democratic Party.  We accomplished a lot in this election.  We helped make it safe to oppose the war, and we got rid of a fake Democratic.  We had a lot to contend with, including the interference of Bill Clinton who kept saying that it didn't matter who won the general election, because in the end, it would be a Democrat.  He can't say that now.  Lieberman has no future in the Connecticut Democratic Party.  Maybe he should move to Nevada, because it looks like the only one who thinks he's a Democrat is Harry Reid.  I'm sure a deal was struck whereby Lieberman would vote with the Dem. caucus to organize the senate and in return, no Dems. would campaign for Lamont in the GE.  I refuse to give any money to the DSCC until this issue is reversed.

•  We tried! (0+ / 0-)

I do think the Lamont nomination was significant, and it made a statement to the country that this guy is no good.  Chris Dodd came out against Senate partner from the Nutmeg state, and local Dems were largely split on the issue.

But let's get real--Ned Lamont was so unqualified to be a Senator that it's really ridiculous.  If he was running against any real Democrat, he would lose in a landslide.  The fact of the matter is that Ned lost because he didn't know how to run a campaign and, except for his bank account, he wouldn't have had a chance.

I still voted for Lamont, but I hope in 2012 a congressman or other serious Dem in the state decides to run against him (if he goes for reelection).

Rosa DeLauro for Senate!

by New England Liberal Elitist on Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 06:33:25 PM PDT

•  What we DKosers tend to forget (3+ / 0-)
              trinite, SparkleMotion, CenterLeft

is that most people don't spend the time reading up about these congress critters. They watch the nightly news and believe they are well informed. But the networks do not expose the truth -- we know that.

I live in CT and had no idea what a POS JoeL is until I started reading DKos. I voted for Lamont but trust me, if you just listened to the major CT news outlets, you would not know the real story.

Anyone for a quick game of Chess.

by CitizenOfEarth on Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 11:08:27 AM PDT

•  Have you looked at the percentage (0+ / 0-)

that SCHLESINGER got?

Those were Republicans voting for LIEberman and a few incompetent, easy to sucker Democrats

Beam me up Scotty - There's No Intelligent Life Down Here!!

by hopalong on Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 08:12:31 AM PDT

•  He is now sounding like Zell Miller (6+ / 0-)

Saw an interview last week where he said this is not the democratic party he knows. It has turned his back on the centrism and is being taken over by a small group of hard left loonies.

I swear Zell Miller said exact the same thing several years ago.

And Joe, like Zell will probably go to the republican convention and give a speech.

•  Good riddance Joe! (3+ / 0-)
        Ducktape, CenterLeft, homoaffectional

I predicted old Joe would be speaking at the Republican convention before he even gave his formal endorsement of McCain.  And I'm not even from CT.
        The Republicans can get their speeches from Zell Miller and Joe Lieberman this year.  Here's another bold prediction.  Sen. Hagel will be endorsing Obama and give a speech at the Democratic convention calling for the war in Iraq to end!
        How ya like those apples, Joe!

"The Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself" - Franklin Delano Roosevelt

by djbender on Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 07:43:24 AM PDT

•  SOUNDING LIKE?? (6+ / 0-)

Hell, all that asshole has to do is go on Hardball and challenge Matthews to a duel to make it official!!!!!

Beam me up Scotty - There's No Intelligent Life Down Here!!

by hopalong on Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 08:08:43 AM PDT

•  Of course! His political future relies on them (0+ / 0-)

Joe's whole act had already become the pet "Democrat" the Republicans and Fox could haul out to demonstrate "bipartisan support" of their agenda.

That makes Joe appear to be important -- he must be, because he's on Fox and in group photos with important Republicans all the time.

He wouldn't be elected againb, even if he were to run, so his only hope of a future lies with some Republican winning and appointing him to something.

Or maybe he could get a job as a talking head on Fox.

America will never again be the land of the free... Until she again becomes the home of the brave.

by Ducktape on Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 09:03:56 AM PDT

•  Does CT have a recall? (4+ / 0-)
      Ducktape, existenz, paulko, writerswrite

Lieberman has proved his true colors and they are not the colors he flew when he ran his last campaign.  Recalling him would have the salutory effect of serving notice on politicians of every stripe that they serve the will of the people, not their secret inner voice.

When "Dick" Cheney says so what when he is asked about ignoring the will of the American people in regard to the Iraq War, wouldn't it be nice if we could have a Mulligan and send his sorry ass back to Wyoming, Texas or Dubai, where ever he calls his home these days?

•  Unfortunately, Joe ain't up for re-election (0+ / 0-)

and it doesn't matter what people think today.  Four years from now....what will they do?  Dump his sorry self...I hope.

The longer I live, the clearer I perceive how unmatchable a compliment one pays when he says of a man "he has the courage to utter his convictions." Mark Twain

by Persiflage on Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 09:36:13 AM PDT