View Diary: Company Hosting McCain "Townhall" Paid Below Prevailing Wage (134 comments)

•  This isn't simply a rant. (5+ / 0-)

It's a good tactical diary. Only when abuses by corporations like inadequate pay are exposed, is their incentive to correct them.

Thanks for the diary.

•  tactical indeed (5+ / 0-)
      snakelass, karmsy, JeffW, CenFlaDem, MsWings

and it hits McCain on several fronts.

The thing is, McCain's campaign did this to itself.

This mistake was 100% avoidable.

I shall not rest until right wing conservatives are 4th party gadflies limited to offering minor corrections on legislation once or twice a year.

by davefromqueens on Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 05:43:03 AM PDT

•  In the tennis world (3+ / 0-)
        snakelass, maxalb, davefromqueens

I think this would be called an unforced error!

Sorry, I'm following the grand slams with Federer and Nadal. Couldn't help myself! LOL!

No longer a virgin! I attended my first Unite for change Meeting today!!

by karma13612 on Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 06:00:09 AM PDT

•  exactly right (2+ / 0-)
          maxalb, karma13612

an unforced error indeed.

Federer and Nadal will meet in the Wimbledon Final again.  Truly a tossup.

amazing how great both are.  Federer would have won 3 straight French Opens if not for Nadal.  Nadal would be the 2 time defending Wimbledon champ if not for Federer.

Best 2 players of all time.

by davefromqueens on Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 06:49:17 AM PDT

•  I'm hopeful for Nadal this year (0+ / 0-)

Sounds strange, but I just feel it in my bones. Federer is terrific. but, this year, Nadal has a fire in his belly that can't be beat. And his arms are built like bleeping pistons!

I can only imagine that last year, with all of Nadal's knee problems, he probably built up such drive and ambition (and muscles!), telling himself that 08 was going to be his year.

by the way, I love your sig line! I keep forgetting to change mine. It was only pertaining to Saturday and now it's Monday!

No longer a virgin! I attended my first Unite for change Meeting today!!

by karma13612 on Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 12:42:29 PM PDT

•  Dave, really, I beg you to follow-up... (3+ / 0-)
        Roadbed Guy, karmsy, BraveheartDC

. . . on the matters I raised above. That "case" needs to be further researched to determine what the Final outcome was.  See my comments above (in particular:  "I've been practicing since '91").

If the findings and Final Order nail this company, then great.  If not, then running with this could backfire and make you/us look like homework wasn't done.

Happy hunting.

bg
        _____

"We in the gloam, old buddy," he said, "We definitely right in the middle of it." -Larry Brown

by BenGoshi on Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 06:07:01 AM PDT

•  see my update (2+ / 0-)
          BenGoshi, maxalb

They are facing disbarrment.

Also, getting caught up in the nuances of the terms prevailing v. minimum would take hundreds of words to fully explain.

The bottom line is that a law is in place about what wage was to be paid; thus that amount is the "minimum" by law.

They broke it on at least 6 occasions.  (Curious how many times they didn't get caught.)

by davefromqueens on Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 06:46:27 AM PDT

•  Maybe you need to roll out some of those hundreds (1+ / 0-)
            BraveheartDC

of words, 'cuz it seems like even municipalities, etc, are getting snared in prevailing wage violations . ..

Yanity said confusion about the difference between maintenance and reconstruction may lead some municipalities to pay prevailing wage on all projects, just to be safe. The Supreme Court did not offer much guidance, he said.

"They've basically said it's a matter of degree, but they don't really provide any understanding," he said. "They left open the question now: When is it maintenance, and when does it cross over into repair?"

Municipal governments across Pennsylvania had been waiting for the decision, which will probably be costly for some local taxpayers, Yanity said.

Troy Thompson, a spokesman for the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry, said the ruling was being reviewed.

In April 2006, Gov. Ed Rendell ordered that resurfacing and other highway work that had been recently reclassified as construction work should be returned to the maintenance category, exempting it from the prevailing wage requirement.

link

The bottom line here is that there is a huge gray area that even lower level gov't are puzzled by - so might a company?  If you claim otherwise, some proof is really needed . . . (you're a lawyer, right? aren't such details important to lawyers?)

•  This company works on contracts (2+ / 0-)
              snakelass, davefromqueens

and contracts spell out whether the work is maintenance or construction or reconstruction and also spell out the prevailing wage.

If this contractor was busted for failing to pay prevailing wage, it was not because the municipality issuing the contract was confused, it was because the contract stated workers would be paid prevailing wage and that didn't happen.

It also means the company could have been planning on "saving" some expences that way, and thus could underbid other contractors who would have actually paid prevailing wages.

"It's supposed to be automatic, but actually you have to push this button." John Brunner, Stand on Zanzibar

by Orinoco on Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 10:50:13 AM PDT

•  It is actually pretty straightforward. (2+ / 0-)
            snakelass, geez53

Minimum wage is the absolute lowest wage that can be paid to any worker.

Prevailing wage is the compensation level set by contract for various skilled union workers, usually in a given geographical area.. Many states and the federal government require the payment of prevailing, union level wages for work provided for taxpayer funded government contracts, whether that work is done by union members or not.

The idea, of course, is to pre-empt the race to the bottom that so many workers are experiencing.

What's the difference between Vietnam and Iraq? Bush knew how to get out of Vietnam.

by happy camper on Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 07:24:28 AM PDT

•  I'm changing title to prevailing (2+ / 0-)
              snakelass, happy camper

Either way it doesn't change the story.

I would argue that minimum can also mean prevailing.

Nevertheless I'll make the edit so at the very least I am understating.

by davefromqueens on Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 07:28:32 AM PDT

•  Good idea. (2+ / 0-)
                snakelass, davefromqueens

When the average joe hears minimum they're thinking the seven bucks an hour paid to the kid behind the counter at the convenience store. Union awareness isn't real high around here, I've noticed.

by happy camper on Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 07:33:41 AM PDT