View Diary: Company Hosting McCain "Townhall" Paid Below Prevailing Wage (134 comments)

•  I'll accommodate you (3+ / 0-)
    snakelass, Roadbed Guy, Philpm

I've changed the word from minimum to prevailing in the title.

We could argue over minute points here and there on verbiage but there is no need to.  Although any diary can be dissected as not mentioning x or y or z should be changed to b, I'll accommodate the concern about the use of the word minimum.

The story is twofold:

1.  What this company did, and
    1.  Why on earth the McCain camp didn't do its research or homework and allowed this company to host its town hall farce today.

This is an unforced error by the McCain camp.  I'm merely shining light on that error with the help of the esteemed Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court.

I shall not rest until right wing conservatives are 4th party gadflies limited to offering minor corrections on legislation once or twice a year.

by davefromqueens on Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 07:38:51 AM PDT

•  Perhaps not an unforced error . . . (1+ / 0-)
      snakelass

the prevailing wage (btw, appreciate the change to a more accurate description!) is rather unliked by the right wingers.

Thus, if this company is well known locally for taking a stand against the prevailing wage (or simply being a 'victim' thereof), it might be throwing the base red meat for McCain to associate with them . . .

That's my problem here, I know enough people who really, really detest the prevailing wage (although on balance I am in favor of it), that I just don't think that it will resonate to the extent that a cut and dried minimun wage violation would.   I think this would be an example of cocooning where it enrages both bases for opposite reasons and in the end it's a wash - so if you have nothing else to do today, by all means publicize this (nothing wrong with us have an energized base)!  But, if you'd rather be off doing something else today, no big harm in that either (you know, let a sleeping dog lie, refering to their base, and all that . . .)

•  separate issue (2+ / 0-)
        snakelass, Roadbed Guy

I may agree or disagree with you on minimum wage or prevailing wage but that is not the point.

The point is that the law is what the law is and this company, as the court said, INTENTIONALLY violated the law to stiff its workers.

And the bigger point is that McCain CHOSE to go have an event at this company's facilities when 2 minutes of research would suggest that it would be quite unwise to do so.

by davefromqueens on Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 08:13:34 AM PDT

•  Absolutely, I agree with all that (2+ / 0-)
          snakelass, davefromqueens

I'm just trying to raise the issue - based on the (admittedly rather limited in number) neocons that I know, that this would actually be a good thing for McCain :

•  oh with the hard core right wing (3+ / 0-)
            snakelass, Roadbed Guy, Philpm

they want to abolish the minimum wage.

Rush Limbaugh once said on his radio show that "the minimum wage should be zero."

I've seen polls on this issue.  It's as lopsided as you get in our favor.  The poll I saw (don't remember the co. but it was years ago) said 83% support the minimum wage, 2% opposed it, and the rest unsure/no opinion.

There is no better issue in terms of popularity than this one.

by davefromqueens on Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 08:20:08 AM PDT

•  Well (0+ / 0-)

As another commentor pointed out, even had McCain done the "two minutes" of research required to learn the fact in question, I'm not sure it would have mattered to them.  Prevailing Minimum Wage laws are often confusing and sometimes subjective...literally thousands of businesses and even municipalities are cited for violations every year.  It's a sore point with the business community...and key GOP constituency.  I would not be surprised if the McCain camp knew about this and just didn't care.

Either way, I don't think it's going to make a bit of difference in the campaign either way.

Having said that, I meant it...nice bit of research, both on the wage issue and how a McCain event works.  I really do just wish, as a lawyer, you would have read the opinion you cited closer (it was not, in fact, a final finding on the merits of the case), as well as recognizing the nuance between a company making a common violation of statute and being a evil GOP pupper corporation exploiting their workers.

As I said, the company may indeed be just that...but you have not established it here.

"I drank what?" -Socrates

by BraveheartDC on Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 11:25:48 AM PDT

•  I defer to the Court's ruling (0+ / 0-)

the Court said that they INTENTIONALLY violated the law.

That was their finding, their word.

by davefromqueens on Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 11:38:15 AM PDT

•  Not arguing that... (0+ / 0-)

Just saying it's a long way from a violation of a labor  law to being some kind of evil repub company.

Small businesses employ 70% of the people in this country...I'm sure this one provides jobs that pay for a lot of mortgages, send a lot of kids to college, and put a lot of food on the table.

Just saying let's not be so quick to dismiss that as evil.

Cheers.