View Diary: Focus On....South Dakota!!! (36 comments)

•  South Dakota is basically two states ... (3+ / 0-)
    AdmiralNaismith, sardonyx, njr

West River and East River.

West River (west of the Missouri) is much more apt to go blue IMHO; that is where the Black Hills, Badlands, Deadwood and the majority of the reservations are.  During the primaries, Obama performed better in West River.

East River (east of the Missouri) is farm country.  Lots and lots of Lutherans; other than possibly Vermillion (USD) and Sioux Falls (largest city with large growth potential from banking and other industries), not EVER likely to go blue, again this is IMHO.  Other than Vermillion and Sioux Falls, the eastern part of the state is much older overall as well.

I don't live there but my Dad did until he passed away a few months ago and I have a sister who lives there as well.  These are my observations from talking to them and from visiting the state.

•  West is More Apt to Go Blue?!?!?!?!? (1+ / 0-)
      AdmiralNaismith

That directly contradicts decades of election returns coming from South Dakota.  Tim Johnson won twice by sweeping East River as he got killed West River.  Daschle handily won in 2004 based on the East River returns.  Clinton won twice East River.  You're correct that the West River reservations are Democratic, but the non-reservation portions West River are at least 70% Republican....including all the population centers (Rapid City, Spearfish, Belle Fourche, Winner).  East River has grown more Republican as Sioux Falls has transitioned from a meatpacking town to the world capital of predatory lending, but most of the counties East River are in play in even a marginal Democratic year, and usually go blue in any contested race in SD

•  I believe that Obama beat Hillary in Brookings (1+ / 0-)
        AdmiralNaismith

County which is in the east and a college town...although school was out. Also I believe SD has alot of older voters. I think it falls into the category of people voting against their economic best interests, because of social wedge issues.

Enough with the speeches and the big rallies!!

by JNSD on Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 01:35:25 PM PDT

•  Yes, There's a Cowboy Mindset.... (1+ / 0-)
          AdmiralNaismith

...that traditional South Dakotans ascribe to, and connected to both Reagan and Bush-43 because of it.  Put on top of that the surge in Republican-centric industries such as tourism and predatory lending and you have a recipe for a state will continue tilting right.  I'm kind of surprised that abortion has taken on the level of prominence it has in South Dakota...because it's not one of the most culturally conservative states.  I think their Republican legislators are more culturally conservative than the voters, as suggested by the double-digit defeat of the abortion ban pushed through the Legislature.

It's a tough state to win and getting tougher, but I don't put either of the Dakotas in the same level of hopelessness as any of the Plains States to its south.

•  I was hugely surprised that it was defeated. (2+ / 0-)
            AdmiralNaismith, Mark27

I think if the truth about Obama's tax plan could get pushed here and his no income tax for seniors making $50,000 or less that would be very helpful. Not many folks making $250,000 a year here, even in two income college educated families. All these people hear is Obama will raise your taxes and they just lick it up, instead of investigating and finding out, "No Obama will raise John McCain's taxes."

Enough with the speeches and the big rallies!!

by JNSD on Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 01:47:52 PM PDT

•  Actually if IIRC, Clinton won Brookings County; (1+ / 0-)
          AdmiralNaismith

I think Clay County (Vermillion) was one of only a very few that went for Obama in the East River area.

•  The main reason I feel that way (1+ / 0-)
        AdmiralNaismith

is that West River is younger and parts of it are much more like Montana (where Obama has done well).  East River is older and more like Nebraska.  Again, I was just sharing this based on observations.  It is only my opinion.

•  I don't get where you're coming from (2+ / 0-)
          AdmiralNaismith, JNSD

I'm sitting and typing at my Desk in Brookings SD.

West River Blue?  Don't forget about that big Air Force Base out in the hills.  Also, ranchers tend to be much more Red than farmers.

Hillary was popular with the Dems I know around Brookings.  I kept seeing on the internets that Obama was the favorite in SD.  As we saw, this was a far from the truth.

Liberals and conservatives are two gangs who have intimidated rational, normal thinking beings into not having a voice on television or in the culture.

by Dave B on Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 02:03:17 PM PDT

•  Like I said, it's just my opinion. (1+ / 0-)
            AdmiralNaismith

You don't have to agree with me and I gave some of my reasons above.  Again, it was just my opinion.

•  My theory is that we like to be irrelivent. (1+ / 0-)
            AdmiralNaismith

Primary day Obama only needed like 11 delegates to pass the majic number and so SD votes for Hillary who has no chance...here the national media was focused on us and we could have pushed him passed the mark, but no. When I looked at the CNN map, there was SD a light blue(Hillary color) island of irrelivance floating in a dark blue ocean of HOPE and CHANGE.(all our neighbors voted for Obama). Hi from Volga!:)

Enough with the speeches and the big rallies!!

by JNSD on Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 02:09:27 PM PDT

•  That would explain a few things (0+ / 0-)

...like why they would boot a national Democratic leader like Tom Daschle in order to send to DC a minority party freshman who is despised by his own party's leaders and cancels out the other SD Senator's vote.

"...And I woulda got away with it, if it hadn't been for that meddling Kos!" ---attributed to Tom DeLay

by AdmiralNaismith on Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 04:07:23 PM PDT

•  lotsa lutherans are blue... (2+ / 0-)
      AdmiralNaismith, Mark27

funny how family observations can differ. mine is from the MN/SD border region, lutheran, and they're Democrats.

except for the two that moved away - phoenix corrupted them both.

"This year, it's on like Donkey Kong." --dkos user PresentMoment

by birdbrain64 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 01:38:09 PM PDT

•  Excellent Point.... (2+ / 0-)
        AdmiralNaismith, birdbrain64

I'm a Norwegian and from rural southern Minnesota.  From a purely demographic standpoint, my hometown and the surrounding Norwegian enclaves should be crimson red.  But it, along with most Norwegian towns in the Upper Midwest, have been solidly Democratic for generations now.

•  The only Blue Lutheran in my family (2+ / 0-)
        AdmiralNaismith, birdbrain64

was my Dad.  The rest are Republican through and through.

Another observation - how do you think McCain going to Sturgis set with some of those staid Lutheran farmers?  I can imagine my aunts and uncles being simply outraged by him going among the heathens.

•  Scandinavia is BLUE territory! (1+ / 0-)
        birdbrain64

I mean, isn't Sweden the poster boy for the best that liberal socialism has to offer? There's a strong tradition of generous, thoughtful, pro-labor liberalism in that culture.

I've believed for a long time that the Scandinavian-American farm belt has been a potential blue stronghold, and the trends may be slowly coming around.  Considering that the farm belt gave us senators like Quentin Burdick, George McGovern, Tom Daschle, Tom Harken and Paul Wellstone, it may not have as far to go as the Republican State Legislatures might lead you to believe.

by AdmiralNaismith on Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 04:04:24 PM PDT

•  and i think it *was* blue (1+ / 0-)
          AdmiralNaismith

for a long time, turning red in more recent generations.

after all, in minnesota, it's the Democratic-Farmer-Labor party for a reason. i think small farmers are much more Democratic, but they've been swallowed by industrial agriculture, which like other corporate entities, is blood red.

"This year, it's on like Donkey Kong." --dkos user PresentMoment