View Diary: Obama Campaign Phonebanks The Deaf Community!!! (213 comments)

•  Actually, the oral method does work for (2+ / 0-)
    HiBob, josecheung

a majority of deaf children with cochlear implants. I disagree with your statement about it being "forced" upon them. It's the parent's prerogative to bring up their deaf child however they want to with the ASL method or the oral method.

•  Parents often do not think of their children (1+ / 0-)
      josecheung

It should not be up to the parents to decide what their kids learn.

It should be up to the kids themselves.

I was given many choices when I was younger (Hearing aids or cochlear implant, deaf school or public school, etc) and I appreciate that.

Parents who make decisions for their children, often do not take into account what their children really want.

Conservatives are close-minded, shallow, superficial people that live in a fantasy world where everything is black and white and there are NO shades of gray.

by Brad007 on Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 09:22:09 AM PDT

•  Oh, brother. (1+ / 0-)
        lemming22

It IS up to the parents to decide what their kids learn. I'm sorry you disagree with that.

•  Children are capable of making decisions (1+ / 0-)
          josecheung

It's the parents that refuse to believe otherwise, that sometimes hurt a child's emotional and educational development by not giving them a choice.

by Brad007 on Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 09:30:30 AM PDT

•  Oh, please. (4+ / 0-)
            WisVoter, HiBob, imabluemerkin, loralei

It's up to the parent, not to the child in this instance. If your logic followed this way, what children think is best---for example, if a child didn't want to go to school anymore and just play recess all the time, that's clearly not what is best for the child.

Parents have to make the tough choices, not the children.

•  That's a poor example (2+ / 0-)
              crazyvermonter, josecheung

A parent's decision on where a child goes for schooling can be stressful to that child.

What's wrong with allowing a child to see two different schools, for example, Austine School (my alma mater) and Clarke School, and then deciding which one appeals to them more? Why is this so wrong?

I'll agree to disagree but not a day goes by where I'm not grateful for choice I was given as a child. I feel that I have been very successful academically as well.

by Brad007 on Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 09:38:38 AM PDT

•  BTW I speak very well (0+ / 0-)

That is only because of aggressive speech therapy in elementary/middle school.

I didn't bother with speech therapy again once I transferred to a deaf school.

by Brad007 on Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 09:23:28 AM PDT

•  Of course you wouldn't. (0+ / 0-)
        •  Care to explain what you mean here? (1+ / 0-)
          josecheung

I already had the education in place. I didn't need MORE speech therapy.

I'm sure we both can agree that there are Deaf people who use both methods that are very successful otherwise in their lives.

by Brad007 on Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 09:28:52 AM PDT

•  Of course there are successful Deaf people (0+ / 0-)

just like there are successful oral deaf people.

•  Why are you so offended? (1+ / 0-)
              josecheung

I'm not offended by you as much as you're offended by me.

I've come to accept that society as a whole treats ALL Deaf people like shit.

From my experience, Deaf people who use ASL have gotten the shortest end of the stick.

by Brad007 on Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 09:34:48 AM PDT

•  so have deaf people who speak orally (0+ / 0-)

Most people have a giant misconception about the deaf community. A lot of hearing people I meet automatically assume that I know ASL, and that I must be retarded. I don't like that stereotype. It's a stupid one.

•  A lot of hearing people assume I am stupid (1+ / 0-)
                  josecheung

And that Deaf people can't enjoy music (I cannot hear the lyrics but I enjoy the music itself).

They assume that I'm on SSI/SSDI and I personally am against collecting either and I work full time.

I'm sure you get the annoying questions from someone who's never met a deaf person (is it hard to be deaf, etc).

by Brad007 on Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 12:00:51 PM PDT