View Diary: AR-Pres: Not this year (177 comments)

•  Has Obama made any effort to narrow (0+ / 0-)

the gap?

There is a lot of bashing right now of the states that the Obama campaign has told to go to hell.  They can't expect to win here if they don't show up.

So I see only tatters of clearness through a pervading obscurity - Annie Dillard -6.88, -5.33

by illinifan17 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 at 01:57:22 PM PDT

•  Obama has told AR to go to hell? Excuse me? (4+ / 0-)
      askew, MadEye, lauramp, Murdershewrote

The fact that such a Democratic state in such a terrible economy is going double-digits for McCain is a sign that it's basically hopeless.  If the state could give Obama even the slightest reason to go after it (like North Dakota and West Virginia did), he probably would.

There are simply not enough black voters there to make up for the white Dems who will not vote for a black candidate.  Similar to Tennessee, but Arkansas will be closer because it's a more Democratic state overall.

•  Has AR made any effort to bring Obama? (5+ / 0-)
      askew, MadEye, lauramp, ArkDem14, KimD

He can't be in all 50 states at once. They can't expect him to show up if they project inevitable loss from day one.

Obama's expanded the map like no other recent Democrat. Look at the Dakotas. Look at North Carolina. Look at Georgia and Indiana. Anywhere they've given him even a slim chance, he's gone there and invited them into the new America. You can't accuse him of telling people to go to Hell. Seems to me, it's been the other way around.

REPUBLICANS: The Older White Meat.

by AdmiralNaismith on Sat Oct 25, 2008 at 02:09:17 PM PDT

•  That's Not the Way It Works..... (5+ / 0-)

If a candidate is behind in a given locale, it's their own responsibility to win over votes, not the public's responsibility to go to them.  In my opinion, Arkansas is a wasted opportunity.  If Obama can come this damn close to winning Georgia, he could have won Arkansas with any effort at all.

•  Thank you. (1+ / 0-)
          ArkDem14

by illinifan17 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 at 02:25:30 PM PDT

•  Absolutely (2+ / 0-)
          rogun, tresgatos

The Dem party here has been begging, literally, for someone to campaign here. The Obama campaign finally opened a field office in Little Rock in mid-September, but I had to get my own literature, etc. online. I still haven't heard any Obama ads except for the national ones on Dish.

Given even the slightest amount of effort, Obama could have had Arkansas' 6 EV, but the state was written off. Every elected official is a Dem, as is most of the statehouse and all but one federal official. There is a large African-American population here, but several friends have mentioned to me that Obama didn't seem interested in their vote.

Social issues are big, but the economy is a much bigger issue here. Wasted opportunity indeed.

"There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest." -- Elie Wiesel

by carolita on Sat Oct 25, 2008 at 06:10:51 PM PDT

•  I think you have it backwards. (2+ / 0-)
        ArkDem14, Ephemera

Apparently you think politics works like this:

Candidate:  Promise you will vote for me then I will come to you and ask for your vote.

Voter:  OK, I promise.

What?  If the Obama campaign wants to win states like Arkansas and Tennessee , they have to work for it.

by illinifan17 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 at 02:20:33 PM PDT

•  Make it happen (5+ / 0-)
      askew, MadEye, socks, lauramp, KimD

We're working on the Eastern Shore of MD, and Obama sure as hell ain't coming here anytime soon. Sure, he's got some ads on local TV, but it's the volunteers that make a campaign go. Not yard signs and TV ads, although TV ads help.

Our local Dem club had to get Obama yard signs printed out of their own $$$ because Team Obama wouldn't send them to a state they were up by 20. And they were right to do so. Put the money were it will pay off eventually.

Go to your local Dem office and volunteer. Make phone calls - barackobama.com makes it easy to do right from your own computer and home phone. Be the change you want to see.

Now, if you've already volunteered and phonebanked, feel free to tell me to take a long walk off a short pier.

Duck Around - a blog about MD, the Shore, and getting off my lawn.

by duck on Sat Oct 25, 2008 at 02:15:37 PM PDT

•  We have been working very hard here in (1+ / 0-)
        ArkDem14

Tennessee.  And we will deliver a much better result than this poll predicts.  That's why it hurts to have the campaign completely ignore our efforts.  This will not slow us down, because we are working for the future of our country.  But I am convinced that one lousy day in Tennessee would have given us a 5-10 point swing.  And I really don't believe that after 84 campaign events in Florida the 85th does all that much good.

by illinifan17 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 at 02:24:55 PM PDT

•  We have been working really (1+ / 0-)
          ArkDem14

hard in Arkansas, too.  Like I said above, it is very hard to win over people who only care about social issues.  I was asking people to come to the Clinton rally yesterday, but I had two people tell me they couldn't vote for someone who wants abortion and gay marriage.  I have had so many people tell me that he is a Muslim and that they couldn't imagine having a President Obama.  It is really frustrating here.

"If one is lucky, a solitary fantasy can totally transform a million realities." -- Maya Angelou

by Kristi from Arkansas on Sat Oct 25, 2008 at 02:33:46 PM PDT