View Diary: Playing to type (284 comments)

•  The GOP has lost the youth for a generation (18+ / 0-)

How's that for a permanent Republican majority?

Not to be morbid or anything, but Karl's dreams of long term GOP dominance are slowly dying off as the more conservative older generations pass away and the younger ones take over.

That's demographic reality - and if the GOP wants to win at any time during the next 50 years, they would do well not to piss us off.

•  The GOP has lost the (16+ / 0-)

intelligent positive youth for a generation.  The dullards have no place else to go.  Thankfully, there are fewer of them.

•  The GOP has some serious work to do (8+ / 0-)

I may be too optimistic, but I just don't see how you can alienate the youth, Latinos, and African-Americans and win in the 21st century.

All of this fury and hatred towards Latino immigrants from the GOP makes no sense to me. The way things are going, the GOP will soon become a party of Southern WASPs - hardly a national electoral coalition. And given their current platform, it will be hard for me to shed a tear for them.

•  Their even turning against their own supporters. (10+ / 0-)

I'll bet that poor girl starts to reconsider her political allegiance.

Obama/Biden '08 beats McCain/what's her name hands down.

by MikePhoenix on Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 07:49:28 PM PDT

•  Republican rally crowd more vetted than Palin! (11+ / 0-)

It's a bad sign when you can't even trust yourself.

PS - the fraidy cats have stolen my Obama yard sign tonight, so I'm going with an Obama pumpkin for the trick-or-treaters tomorrow.

Go ahead, punks - try and smash my Obama jack-o-lantern.  PLEASE!

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. - Oscar Wilde

by MaineMike on Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 08:02:20 PM PDT

•  be thankful that's all they did.... I woke up (12+ / 0-)

yesterday morning to discover that somebody had keyed both sides of my car and ripped off my Obama bumper sticker.

WTF?  I'm no fan of McCain but I don't feel the need to vandalize the property of his supporters.

the fraidy cats have stolen my Obama yard sign tonight,

A PBS mind in a Fox News World | -5.25/-4.72 | Obama 08!

by Crookshanks on Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 08:20:55 PM PDT

•  Oh man! (3+ / 0-)
                Kestrel, Lisa Lockwood, golconda2

That's terrible, Crookshanks.  It's also very telling.  I mean, how many Dems run around, stealing McCain signs, vandalizing property, etc.?

They do this at night, presumably because they are losing so much sleep over next Tuesday.

I have a magnetic oval sticker on my Toyota truck, but as I drive in the woods quite often with it, it already looks like it has been "keyed" by legions of pissed off and frightened Republicans.  So any paint damage they'd add to my vehicle would be overkill.

by MaineMike on Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 08:29:45 PM PDT

•  well, I wouldn't make it into a party line issue, (4+ / 0-)

because I'm sure there are Democrats running around and doing the same thing.  It's more a reflection on the individual who did it than it is on the party that he or she supports.

I just can't wrap my head around the mentality of it.  It reminds me of the people who flipped us off when we were doing visibility during the primaries.  I've never felt the need to do that when I see McCain supporters -- anybody who is passionate enough about politics to stand outside in the pouring rain holding up a sign is alright in my book.

What sucks is I know that this is going to be well over a thousand bucks to get repaired.  A thousand bucks I have to either eat or turn it over to my insurance company and live with higher premiums for the next five years.  Oey vey......

A PBS mind in a Fox News World | -5.25/-4.72 | Obama 08!

by Crookshanks on Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 08:42:07 PM PDT

•  Well, (1+ / 0-)
                    Kestrel

I did paint with a broad brush, and I take your point. Speaking of paint, I really am sorry to hear about your car, and didn't mean to minimize that by mentioning that my car is already scratched up thanks to pine tree branches.

Those repairs are costly.  I scratched my wife's car last summer and the affected area was relatively small but the BLENDING of the paint (her car is silver) was what enlarged the area to be repainted and the final cost was around $600.  Just enough to make me not want to file an insurance claim for fear of a rate increase.

by MaineMike on Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 09:05:50 PM PDT

•  No, it's a reflection of culture. (0+ / 0-)

The question isn't whether there's nutbags on both (all) sides --- of course there are. That's just a question for the law.

But if one side has many more nutbags than the other, then we're talking something systematic. Then it's not just the legal question of punishing criminals, but the political and ideological question of a party that attracts and emphasizes nutbaginess. The crooks ain't just the perpetrators, but the organizers.

•  have you considered (0+ / 0-)

fixing the scratches yourself?

They make a billion different colors of fingernail polish, and for scratches in car paint, it works very nicely.

At a later date, you can always have the body panels repainted, but if you pick your color right, I seriously doubt you'll need to.

Reality has a well-documented liberal bias - Colbert

by MikeDub on Fri Oct 31, 2008 at 10:17:23 AM PDT

•  Got any bumper stickers left? (0+ / 0-)
                Go and slap them over McCain stickers, and wait for the pack to turn on itself.

Proud White Guilt Ridden Socialist Fake Anti American Ex Pat for Obama.

by DemCurious on Fri Oct 31, 2008 at 05:48:42 AM PDT

•  I'll take that bet (0+ / 0-)

She was crying...not raging.

She'll get over it.

•  Screw her (5+ / 0-)
            wonmug, peacemama, golconda2, KenFL, Belle Ame

she voted for EXACTLY the treatment she is getting.

She just assumed that it would always be someone else who got it.

Pity she never read Pastor Martin Niemöller, but then History is SO Unrepublican

Until inauguration day The USA is in the greatest danger it has ever experienced.

by Deep Dark on Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 09:46:56 PM PDT

•  They were warned. (9+ / 0-)
          "We sound like we don't want immigration; we sound like we don't want black people to vote for us," said former congressman Jack Kemp (N.Y.), who was the GOP vice presidential nominee in 1996. "What are we going to do -- meet in a country club in the suburbs one day?"

Washington Post, Sept. 19, 2007

The Republican party, and especially the McCain campaign, seems be in a death spiral of escalating "purity purges".  Bush speechwriter  David Frum, in National Review, deemed it advisable to drum anyone who questioned the Iraq War out of the party, denouncing them as "Unpatriotic Conservatives".  Any Republicans who commit the sin of being tolerant on issues like abortion and homosexuality have long since been forced out by well-organized pitchfork-waving fundies.  For several years now, the Republican's nativistic wing has seemed bound and determined to drive away anyone with a Hispanic or otherwise "foreign-sounding" name.  Now they apparently don't want the young people, even the ones who support them, because they "look like the enemy".

Pretty soon, at this rate, they won't even fill a good-sized country club.

•  They are losing the smart Southern WASP as well (3+ / 0-)
          NYFM, mmiddle, LordRobin

They will be left only with the dumbest of the dumb

•  Wonder if that crying girl (0+ / 0-)

learned anything from the experience that would cause her to vote differently in the future??

"Say what you have to say, not what you ought." ~Henry David Thoreau.

by peacemama on Fri Oct 31, 2008 at 02:06:06 AM PDT

•  Amen to that (0+ / 0-)

Pretty soon you actually will be able to pick out republicans based exclusively on how they look. The old white guys will have alienated every other group.

Reality has a well-documented liberal bias - Colbert

by MikeDub on Fri Oct 31, 2008 at 10:13:41 AM PDT

•  And the youth of America is in need of advice. (5+ / 0-)

One of those McCain elders could take any young Republican wannabe by the arm and whisper the secret to success: PLASTICS!
      If you are scratching your head, really do see "The Graduate," Dustin Hoffman's greatest work as young Benjamin.

•  I saw The Graduate - good movie (6+ / 0-)

I was having a conversation with my Mom on old movies, and she said that when The Graduate came out, many people were up in arms about how "scandalous" it was.

I watched it and found it mild. Very entertaining - but mild given the sound and fury surrounding it. Kind of interesting to see how much times have changed.

•  Well..I don't know how much times have really (4+ / 0-)

changed. Recall the last scene in the film where Benjamin picks up a cross and wards off a rabid crowd of Mrs. Robisons? The look of hatred in their eyes because ol' Benjamin was crashing their society wedding, and getting away with it. Sounds very similar to what we're witnessing with McGrumpy clenched dentures as young Barry Obama crashes in on the Republican's Palin/McLoser shotgun nuptials.

•  It seems to be true (1+ / 0-)
      mataliandy

that the majority of under-thirties are supporting Obama.  I have read several analyses that calculate that there is roughly an even split between young people identifying themselves as Democrats versus those identifying as Republicans.

I ponder today: should Obama win, who is our candidate in 2016?  The day after the SCOTUS anointed dubya as the 43rd president, I wondered who would follow him to the GOP podium, since it obviously wouldn't be Cheney.  They ended up with McCain, who seems likely to go down with all flags flying.

Who will pick up the Democratic party standard and run strong with it in '16 (or in '12 should the GOP steal the election Tuesday)?  I don't see anyone right now, but I'm not as involved a geek as so many here (and I mean that in a loving way).   It will be interesting to see who the keynote speaker is at the Dem's 2012 convention, should the party be nominating their incumbent president.

"Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected." - Red Buttons

by Man in the Middle on Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 08:28:50 PM PDT

•  Don't get your hopes up. (0+ / 0-)

The most conservative age cohort in the US is in their mid-forties: about Obama's age.  We hope to be around for another 30 years, about as long as the mortality tables estimate.

And no matter what the generation, your candidate will have to be able to convince people that his or her ideas are best and that the other candidate is a danger to the nation.

Dems in 2008: An embarassment of riches. Repubs in 2008: Embarassments.

by Yamaneko2 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 09:42:01 PM PDT

• Republicans (18)
  • Rescued (18)
  • Health Care (18)
  • Barack Obama (18)
  • International (17)
  • Media (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site