View Diary: Killer Peanut Butter... Why It Was Predicted but Not Prevented (183 comments)

•  Microwaving has its purpose. (2+ / 0-)
    grannyhelen, OrangeClouds115

But perhaps it could be limited to quick cooking of vegetables and the reheating of leftovers.

Can you see this inaugural, Dr. King? Did you see this?

by Cassandra Waites on Sun Jan 25, 2009 at 02:58:17 PM PST

•  Research is indicating that microwaving (5+ / 0-)

changes the properties of even water.

So I stopped.  Even my grown children have stopped.

I do melt butter with it, tough.  Either way, the butter will get you, right?

A steam basket works great for heating up stuff:  its natural and moistens.

Poverty does not mean powerless. Unite!

by War on Error on Sun Jan 25, 2009 at 04:25:41 PM PST

•  I've never owned a microwave (3+ / 0-)
        OrangeClouds115, martini, mieprowan

and I never will.

•  Wish I could say the same. But now I have seen (3+ / 0-)
          OrangeClouds115, martini, mieprowan

the light.

A study at the U of Utah using water found the microwaved water decreased seeds ability to germinate.  Interesting.

I think we all new it was too good to be healthy

Poverty does not mean powerless. Unite!

by War on Error on Sun Jan 25, 2009 at 04:44:35 PM PST

•  here's a fun article (2+ / 0-)
            Cedwyn, OrangeClouds115

on microwaves. Mindfully.org has more on this and lots of other intriguing stuff.

Maybe they're dangerous, maybe they're not. But there's far too much money to be made selling them (and selling microwavable food) for me to be convinced the research has been done properly. I ditched mine some time ago.

"The intelligence it took to bring us to modern society may not be enough to get us out of it." = Einstein

by mieprowan on Sun Jan 25, 2009 at 06:49:03 PM PST

•  black-boxes... (1+ / 0-)
            OrangeClouds115

Did they do any kind of chemical analysis of the water?  If so, what did they find?  Otherwise all we have is a black box effect.

This gets a little too close to "faith healing" for my taste.

I'd like to see the specific details of their methodology, since this is something that could easily be replicated by anyone in their own kitchen.

•  Weston Price? (1+ / 0-)
        OrangeClouds115

He was a dentist almost 100 years ago, studied why some patients had crooked teeth & narrow jaws, and others had wide jaws & well aligned teeth.  Went all over the world researching the idea.  Found that people eating local foods, with lots of animal fats, (and most especially springtime butter!) had kids with jaws that had enough room for all their smiling teeth.  Those people who had neighbors that got sucked into eating flour, sugar, trashfood, saw those neighbors' kids end up with narrow jaws and wonky teeth.

So... just sayin', real butter might not really "get" you :)  Google for Weston A. Price, his foundation posts LOTS of information on back to basics diets and health benefits from such path.

I do still use my microwave, though.  For heating up water to sterilize syringes when I've had to medicate a cat, and to heat up cotton bags filled with seed (usually corn) to use as a portable, dry, "hot water bottle".  They work great!

•  whoa there, extraordinary claim... (4+ / 0-)

"microwaving changes the properties of even water."

Where did you get that?   Where's the evidence, and what are the implications?

•  Sounds wacky to me (0+ / 0-)

I'd like to say that the GOP has a monopoly on scientific ignorance, but I wouldn't be right.

The only property of water a microwave oven will change is its temperature.

"If another country builds a better car, we buy it. If they make a better wine, we drink it. If they have better healthcare . . . what's our problem? "

by mbayrob on Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 03:19:13 AM PST

•  any doc? (0+ / 0-)

maybe this is why my DH has stopped using the micro to re-heat the tea...

We still use it to defrost frozen breads and meats before eating/cooking...  but the tea-re-heat used to be multiple times a day!

'We ain't what we ought to be and we ain't what we want to be and we ain't what we're going to be. But thank God, we ain't what we was.'

by chimene on Sun Jan 25, 2009 at 07:58:15 PM PST