View Diary: BART police punched Grant in face before fatal shooting (Updated w/ transcript) (250 comments)

•  California has the death penalty (13+ / 0-)

despite a lot of our efforts to oppose it.

We've executed 13 people in the last 33 years.   I regret each and every one execution -- the death penalty is wrong, whatever the crime.

I hope the police in question get a full and fair trial and, assuming he's as guilty as the video makes it look, that Johannes Mehserle spends the rest of his life behind bars.

the third eye does not weep. it knows. Political compass: -9.75 / -8.72

by mijita on Sun Jan 25, 2009 at 01:41:34 PM PST

•  No one regreted Ted Bundy's execution ! No one... (3+ / 0-)
      mijita, LynneK, ganais

"Better a little late, than a little never"..Julian Winston

by Johnny Rapture on Sun Jan 25, 2009 at 01:52:58 PM PST

•  I did. (7+ / 0-)

And so did the researchers on serial killers in the FBI.

Personally I believe we're all diminished by our country's use of the death penalty, the crime and horrible nature of the person it's used on doesn't matter.

Though, you're right in one respect, if we are going have the death penalty, people like Ted Bundy and Richard Allen Davis deserve it far more than some 16 year old with a subnormal IQ.

the third eye does not weep. it knows. Political compass: -9.75 / -8.72

by mijita on Sun Jan 25, 2009 at 02:09:52 PM PST

•  I'm against it in practice because of the way... (2+ / 0-)
          LynneK, debaseTheBase

...it's applied by an imperfect court system. It really shouldn't be one of the options in a f*cked up system.

But I wouldn't lose a moment's sleep over executing that cop. Or that killer in Idaho. I would happily pull the lever myself.

Revenge? No. Justice.

Wounded Knee, 1890. Jallianwala Bagh, 1919. Srebrenica, 1995. Gaza, 2008.

by expatjourno on Sun Jan 25, 2009 at 02:23:59 PM PST

•  I am generally opposed... but there are cases (4+ / 0-)

in which I would make exceptions.

Take for example the case of that animal from Idaho who kidnapped those two children, killing their family. Kept them at a campsite and raped and tortured them repeatedly... then killed and burned the little girls brother, while she had to watch. He had thoroughly planned that attack out with night vision goggles, etc... as far as I'm concerned, he's a waste of oxygen...

•  while the general deterrence value (2+ / 0-)
        ganais, debaseTheBase

of the death penalty is questionable at best, there's no question of its deterrence against the people on which it has been used.

Looking for intelligent energy policy alternatives? Try here.

by alizard on Sun Jan 25, 2009 at 03:19:11 PM PST

•  exactly (1+ / 0-)
          ganais

...which is why I favor it for serial killers who would kill again the minute they got the chance (even in prison, they pose a risk to the guards and other employees...not to mention the possibility of escape).

•  I'm undecided, actually (0+ / 0-)

The false-positive rate on convictions (I've heard it estimated at over 10% by someone from the LA Attorney's office) is too high to suit me, and the situation given SCOTUS-approved appeals procedure and rules of evidence changes have probably drastically increased that rate.

The problem with the death penalty in this context is that "oops!" isn't much of a response to a corpse killed by bad legal procedures and not as a consequence of his non-existent criminal behavior.

So ... deterrence value is good, but permanently deterring somebody who doesn't need it is really, really bad.

Looking for intelligent energy policy alternatives? Try here.

by alizard on Sun Jan 25, 2009 at 08:47:23 PM PST

•  And you think the death penalty is a harsher (2+ / 0-)
        Meteor Blades, snakelass

punishment on a known Baby-killer/Baby-Raper than life in the joint?

Do you know any ex-cons?

•  Not necessarily. I don enjoy that this seems to (0+ / 0-)

be the one thing that is handily dealt with in general population... which is just fine by me.

I think the family wishes should be taken into consideration. I generally consider myself a non-violent person... but if someone did something to my children... not so much