View Diary: Irish Workers Occupy Waterford Crystal Factory (277 comments)

•  But part of the charm (26+ / 0-)

is that it's made in Ireland.

They will lose customers over this. It's a bad move. If they think they won't, they don't understand their customer base.

•  Crystal business is already down (4+ / 0-)
      taonow, Chun Yang, BYw, MsGrin

more casual dining at home, less need for fine crystal by people.  Also, with a slow economy, the mass lux market is pretty much dead.
      Only the rich are buying high-end goods now.

What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is. ~ Dan Quayle

by CParis on Sat Jan 31, 2009 at 11:20:46 AM PST

•  Elise my dear, (1+ / 0-)
      luvmovies2000

do you really think the average Chinese uber-consumer gives a hoot whether or not the big Waterford vase they have just purchased comes from Ireland? I'll be willing to bet they wouldn't even know where Ireland is. Honestly they are worse than we are. It's the thing that counts.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

by crose on Sat Jan 31, 2009 at 12:39:24 PM PST

•  They care more than westerners. (7+ / 0-)

Chinese upper middle-class uber-consumers are more status conscious and brand conscious than Western consumers. You're not making good assumptions.

They don't pay me enough to save, and they don't pay me enough to spend. So let 'em bail their own asses out and stop blaming me. -Joy Busey

by James Kresnik on Sat Jan 31, 2009 at 12:49:40 PM PST

•  I'm not making good assumptions? (0+ / 0-)

As I commented to Elise, the Chinese may be more brand-conscious than we are (I doubt that) but they have been busy making knock-offs and pirated versions of American goods for decades. Do you suppose they can tell or if they care whether or not the Coach bag they are carrying came from a factory up the road? If the real thing costs an American a month's salary, what does it cost the Chinese consumer?

by crose on Sat Jan 31, 2009 at 11:25:54 PM PST

•  Um, just because the Chinese sell knok-offs (0+ / 0-)

doesn't mean that they are crazy to actually buy them knock offs. The Chinese, being a context-sensitive culture, put more value on perceived status and material display than the average American. Moreover, your average Chinese is proud and somewhat insecure about their status. Affluent Chinese will buy a high-quality local made good with pride, but cheap knock-offs are for poor poseurs.

by James Kresnik on Sun Feb 01, 2009 at 08:36:23 AM PST

•  I'm not Elise but I absolutely do (18+ / 0-)

think that the average Waterford consumer knows that.  I'm in the Boston area and believe me when I say that Waterford is prized because it is from Ireland.  And we know the difference.  If the market is shrinking this would decimate it.  Perhaps other areas of the country aren't aficionados like we are but they would definitely lose their market around here.

We...remind America of the fierce urgency of now. This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism.--MLK

by sobermom on Sat Jan 31, 2009 at 12:49:57 PM PST

•  I'm from the South Side of Chicago... (15+ / 0-)

you know, where they have the South Side Irish parade every year for St. Patty's day. Where people from Ireland travel just to come to the St. Patty's day celebration.

I can tell you right now that every wedding I've ever attended has involved gifts of Waterford crystal - because it's made in Ireland and because the bride or groom or gift-giver has Irish heritage.

For many of the customers (and if I had to guess I would argue that it's MOST of the customers), it very much matters where it's made.

•  What I am talking about (0+ / 0-)

are the Chinese, not the Irish, in response to the idea that they might care where a luxury item was made. These are people who have perfected fake consumer goods, from Gucci bags to Godiva chocolates. They might be conscious of the brand name on the item, but that doesn't mean the item didn't come from a knock-off warehouse in Shanghai.

I have Irish heritage and grew up in a home full of Waterford. It was de rigeur for the best of tables. Unfortunately, those pieces are now in the hands of family members who neither care nor whom have kept them. I am assuming they have ended up on eBay.

by crose on Sat Jan 31, 2009 at 11:22:23 PM PST

• Rescued (20)
  • Media (20)
  • Politics (19)
  • 2016 (19)
  • Environment (17)
  • Science (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site