View Diary: Midday Open Thread (238 comments)

•  religion is the problem (0+ / 0-)

and I'm glad it upset you so much because I know I hit a nerve of truth or you wouldn't be so defensive.  And, don't even get me started on religion and prop 8.

;-)

Have you forgotten about Jesus? Don't you think it's time that you did?

by uc booker on Thu May 28, 2009 at 12:47:11 PM PDT

•  Do not presume to speak for me. (0+ / 0-)

I'm not the slightest bit upset.  I just pointed out a logical fallacy (as I often do).

But thank you so much for inserting your assumptions and bias where you should be putting facts.

You are entitled to express your opinion. But you are NOT entitled to agreement.

by DawnG on Thu May 28, 2009 at 12:53:37 PM PDT

•  logic & religion haven't worked since Kierkegaard (0+ / 0-)

so, your presumption of a logical fallacy is disproven.  Now, what have you got?

Have you forgotten about Jesus? Don't you think it's time that you did?

by uc booker on Thu May 28, 2009 at 12:57:57 PM PDT

•  okay now you're trying to invent a... (3+ / 0-)
          terrypinder, dave3172, batgirl71

...separate argument.

I was referring to YOUR false logic in assuming religion is the source of violence.   The source of violence is the people who commit violence.  Period.  If someone wishes to commit violence, they will and very often DO find excuses outside religion.

Removing religion will not solve the ills of the world because you'll still have the same people wandering around looking for the next best excuse to kill.

by DawnG on Thu May 28, 2009 at 01:02:14 PM PDT

•  You keep holding onto your beliefs. Hope they (0+ / 0-)

work for you.  As for the religion not causing violence, you need to study the Inquisition.  YOU have lots of learning to do.  And, I was almost blown up in a Gay bar in Seattle by skinheads. What motivates them?  What is all over their webpages.  When the rude awaking occurs for you just know that I will be LMAO!!!

Have you forgotten about Jesus? Don't you think it's time that you did?

by uc booker on Thu May 28, 2009 at 01:05:36 PM PDT

•  your assumption that dawnG is religious, (0+ / 0-)

simply for pointing out that human being suck in general, is amusing. she's given no evidence of such (unless she has in the past. I don't know. I really don't care what people believe in or don't believe in.)

(+0.12, -3.33) perpetually amused by the silliness.

by terrypinder on Thu May 28, 2009 at 01:09:54 PM PDT

•  I am not presuming her religious beliefs. But, (0+ / 0-)

she is trying to create her own facts.  The Inquisition, the Crusades, to deny that religion has been a source of hatred, murder, and injustice across time and space is to show ignorance and/or stupidity.  And this false argument that religion doesn't kill people, that people kill people is as false as the argument that guns don't kill people, people kill people.  I have never heard of a gun just sitting there on a table going off and killing someone.  A person with a gun kills another person.  A religious person kills another person.

Have you forgotten about Jesus? Don't you think it's time that you did?

by uc booker on Thu May 28, 2009 at 01:14:36 PM PDT

•  and you ignore everything.. (1+ / 0-)
                  terrypinder

...that has nothing to do with religion.

I've listen a few below.  Enjoy.

by DawnG on Thu May 28, 2009 at 01:16:50 PM PDT

•  I'm not going down your grocery list of insanity. (0+ / 0-)

Religion is a murderous problem in our society.  You can choose to keep your head firmly in the sand, but I'm not going to sit idly by and let you get away with it.

Good day.

Have you forgotten about Jesus? Don't you think it's time that you did?

by uc booker on Thu May 28, 2009 at 01:18:58 PM PDT

•  Heh. (1+ / 1-)
                      terrypinder
                      Hidden by:
                      uc booker

so you're not going to sit idly by, but you're going to walk away?

I'm trying to point out that it's not religion that is the "murderous problem" with our society.  It's society that is the problem.

I don't want to make assumptions, but I will say if you think religion is the root of all evil in our society you are completely out of your mind.  "this would be such a nice place if it weren't for religion" is utopian level fantasy thinking and completely discounts and ignores the real problem (which would still exist even if religion were done away with).

by DawnG on Thu May 28, 2009 at 01:42:07 PM PDT

•  Heh Heh. (0+ / 0-)

And now you're getting pissy and troll rating me, even though I didn't say anything offensive, merely presented my argument.

Perhaps you should rethink your position, if you are unable to defend them better.

Just a bit of constructive criticism for you.

by DawnG on Thu May 28, 2009 at 02:22:45 PM PDT

•  actually people do kill people (0+ / 0-)

it's a primate thing and it doesn't matter if there's religion involved or not.

while i don't know if Chimps have religion or not, they certainly do have territorial wars.

(+0.12, -3.33) perpetually amused by the silliness.

by terrypinder on Fri May 29, 2009 at 06:20:24 AM PDT

•  It's not a belief. (0+ / 0-)

It's an understanding of human nature. Religion is just used as one of many excuses.  People have, throughout history, used many many others.

Blacks vs whites.
              Catholics vs Prodestants
              Crypts vs Bloods
              Shia vs Suuni
              Hatfields vs McCoys
              Republicans vs Democrats
              Hetrosexuals vs Homosexuals
              Nation vs Nation

There's a lot more but this is a good start.

Some people have tendancies towards violence.  Often times, whether those tendancies actually manifest in violent actions have more to do with the culture they are raised in, than their religion.

I know it's easier to just blame religion unilaterally.  But it's also shallower and lazier.  Better to understand PEOPLE first.  It opens up so many levels of understanding about so many subjects.

by DawnG on Thu May 28, 2009 at 01:15:50 PM PDT