View Diary: A Hawaiian Sunset and Some African Wildlife - A Photo Diary (141 comments)

•  Beautiful shots, magnificent. Also a question... (12+ / 0-)

A photography question for the diarist or anyone else who might know: I have an old Pentax 35mm which works just fine although I haven't used it in a while. Well, I'm doing some travelling over the next few weeks and yesterday a friend dumped 8 rolls of Fuji Velvia 50 on me to record my junket. My question is, what are the "ideal" settings (for f-stop, shutter speed) for taking full sunlight and sunset photos with Velvia 50? I plan to vary the settings up and down with each shot (maybe 4-6 shots per subject, with different f-stop and speeds), so I'm just looking for a good starting point to scale up and down from (Fuji doesn't have the helpful little scale inside the box like Kodak does. Or maybe they do, but my friend just gave me the film without the box...)

I appreciate any help you can offer

Beer cans are beautiful. It's the roads that are ugly. -- Edward Abbey

by frankzappatista on Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 06:12:05 PM PDT

•  a question for you (6+ / 0-)

Does your Pentax have a light meter?

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" Darwin

by Haole in Hawaii on Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 06:15:04 PM PDT

•  Is it a K1000? (3+ / 0-)
      wader, BirderWitch, trs

I used a Pentax K1000 in the first photography class I ever took- in college 20 years ago.
      I've loved photography ever since.
      I'm saving my pennies for a good digital, though.
      Film photography is so expensive anymore.
      My 20 year old Minolta 35mm is collecting dust.
      It's a great camera. The one I had did have a light meter.

-7.88/-4.41 "The blood sucking aristocracy stood aghast; terror stricken, they thought the day of retribution had come." - John Ferral, union leader

by Interceptor7 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 07:33:16 PM PDT

•  Your 20 year Minolta, if it was like my Dad's (2+ / 0-)
        BirderWitch, Interceptor7

older Minolta 35mm, is built like a veritable tank.

Mated to three Tascom lenses via the necessary adapter, his did yeoman's work for many years.

I think that everybody from the late 70s/early 80s used the K1000 in high school and college photography classes :) .

It's why I stuck with my Nikon 35mm for so long, probably.

But, I'm reasonably happy with my entry-level Nikon D50, excellent Nikon telezoom lens and SB-800 flash.  Hoping to upgrade to the D300 someday, once I can justify the price.

"So, please stay where you are. Don't move and don't panic. Don't take off your shoes! Jobs is on the way."

by wader on Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 09:51:32 PM PDT

•  It's an old X-370 (0+ / 0-)

Minolta made in the mid-1980's.
          I paid $100.00 to have it refurbished about 8 years ago and it's still in good shape.
          All of this photography talk is putting me in the mood to buy some film and dust it off this weekend.

by Interceptor7 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 10:01:47 PM PDT