Skip to main content

View Diary: A Hawaiian Sunset and Some African Wildlife - A Photo Diary (141 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  That is correct (3+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    frankzappatista, BirderWitch, trs

    There would be a needle that goes back and forth.  You need to set the ISO (they used to call it ASA) of the film you are using. There would be a little dial to set that (in this case 50 for that slow Velvia).  I bet your old Pentax has a light meter.  The old manual cameras I started using over 35 years ago had light meters.

    One other thing... I called that Velvia slow.  At ISO 50 it means that it needs lots of light to get a good exposure. That means longer exposures and more chance of getting blurred pictures if you are hand holding the camera.  As a rule of thumb you need a tripod if the shutter speed is slower than 1/focal length of the lens.  You can hand hold 1/60th with a 50mm lens.  You can hand hold 1/500th with a 500mm lens. etc.  Anything slower and you need a tripod.

    "Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" Darwin

    by Haole in Hawaii on Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 06:35:43 PM PDT

    [ Parent ]

    •  Excellent advice, thank you so much (3+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      Haole in Hawaii, BirderWitch, trs

      You're probably right, I'm thinking it must have a needle like that. I've shot with Kodak 200 before with good results, but I suspect this will be trickier. Your response helps me much more than anything I've found on the internet thus far. Thanks again!

      Beer cans are beautiful. It's the roads that are ugly. -- Edward Abbey

      by frankzappatista on Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 06:41:26 PM PDT

      [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site