View Diary: Gates Says 'Yes' To Beer With Crowley (176 comments)

•  I never (3+ / 0-)
    mattman, fou, OnlyWords

said that I believe it was a case of profiling by the CPD. If anything it was a case of profiling by whoever called 911. I mean black men with backpacks, a limo parked in the driveway, one of the black men using a cane to get around, seems like the typical home invasion/burglary to me... or not.

If I had a shotgun you know what I'd do? I'd point it straight up at the sky and shoot heaven on down for you.

by DeLLBerto on Sat Jul 25, 2009 at 09:15:05 AM PDT

•  A neighbor saw 2 men trying to force open a door. (0+ / 0-)

I'd be very suspcious, and probably call the police to investigate, as well.

What legacy do you want to leave?

by Jimdotz on Sat Jul 25, 2009 at 09:17:55 AM PDT

•  Yes, if you saw a middle-age white man with a (7+ / 0-)
        mattman, vcmvo2, corvo, sephius1, mnguy66, BYw, earicicle

cane and another white  man in a uniform and a limo in front of the house, both trying to un-jam the door, you would call the cop too?

•  I don't know. Maybe. (0+ / 0-)

What legacy do you want to leave?

by Jimdotz on Sat Jul 25, 2009 at 09:23:24 AM PDT

•  how come you know when they are black (12+ / 0-)

but you don't when they are white, because it is EXACTLY the same scenerio with gates, i purposely put `tying to un-jam the door` because I bet the white woman saw `breaking`into when they were black, but would see `trying to un-jam` when white, hence RACIAL PROFILING.

this is the same thing that happened during katrina when the press saw black `stealing food` and white were `trying to find` food during the worst in katrina.

•  Interesting (1+ / 0-)
              corvo

The whole Katrina thing brings back some ugly memories. But in this case, its hard to determine if the neighbor thought a robbery was occurring because 'somebody' was breaking down a door vs because 'a Black man' was breaking down a door. The Katrina example gives us a clear example of them treating equal parties differently based on race. This example only has one subject though, so its hard to say the neighbor wouldn't have called the cops on a White doing the same thing.

•  well `JimDotz` said that (2+ / 0-)
                mattman, corvo

he would definately call the cops but when i put white men in place of blacks, he doesn`t know if he would call.

it kind of proves my point, don`t you think

•  No, I said "probably", and then I said "maybe". (0+ / 0-)

What legacy do you want to leave?

by Jimdotz on Sat Jul 25, 2009 at 09:48:24 AM PDT

•  You can say that now (1+ / 0-)
                    corvo

but your two comments read completely differently.  They really do.  There is a significant 'hedge' coming from the second whereas in the first you 'seem' more confident in your decision.  I am not implying anything.  That is just what I got from the two posts.  Saying "I would probably call then as well" makes the two statements equivalent.  But you had 2 qualifiers, 'IDK' and 'maybe'...kind wishy-washy on the second.

I, personally, wouldn't call in either situation as it wouldn't seem to warrant it.  First off I know my neighbors and know who should be visiting their house.  When they are away I know that and I know when they should be returning.  But the uniformed driver, the limo, being two older men with one disabled, middle of the day, and using the front door would not scream out to me "break-in".

•  Not to comment on 'JimDotz', but (2+ / 0-)
                  mattman, corvo

My point about the neighbor is that we don't know her true intentions or beliefs. And its hard to understand how we'd react to a similar situation. We can easily speculate on how we'd ideally behave, but when put into the same situation, we may behave completely differently.

What I think I'd do if I saw a middle-aged guy with a cane trying to un-jam a door is probably approach him and see whats going on. Not that thats the right thing to do, but I don't think I'd be too intimitidated by him, no matter his race. But if she (an old lady) was intimidated, maybe she thought it was better to just let the authorities handle it.

•  additional evidence in WaPo today (0+ / 0-)

"Republicans drove the country into a ditch and now they are complaining about the cost of the tow truck"-Jim Cornette

by justmy2 on Sat Jul 25, 2009 at 09:55:12 AM PDT

•  interesting article (0+ / 0-)

I'm kinda surprised that stuff goes on. I'm particularly surprised that its so obvious in the emails.

But still, thats about Ward 3 DC, not Cambridge, Mass, and not about the neighbor who called the cops. Its kinda hard to generalize and project our fears of society onto people.

•  What you would do (1+ / 0-)
        mattman

has nothing to do with a situation that doesn't involve you, and hardly precludes the possibility of racial profiling.

The reasoning that 'there couldn't have been profiling because I would have done the same thing' isn't reasoning.  It's illogical.

Blagojevich/Palin '12.

by fou on Sat Jul 25, 2009 at 10:00:44 AM PDT

•  ya know what?! (0+ / 0-)

I actually did call the police when my neighbor's car was being stolen. They wouldn't investigate. Ya know why?! The owner had to report that the car  was stolen. Yer argument is bogus, dude.