View Diary: UPD2: We don't get health care--but rich get Bush estate tax cuts forever (61 comments)

•  We have to start to get out the vote NOW (7+ / 0-)

We have to rid the congress of blue dogs and republicans.

PERIOD.

Anger can be a great energy, if it is channelled to action to

FIX the problem

For heavens sake, start getting out the vote.

We are almost there, not quite obviously, but almost.

Then we will vote campaign finance reforms - public financing.

And end the corpothugery takeover of our country

Poverty does not mean powerless. Unite!

by War on Error on Thu Dec 17, 2009 at 04:30:21 PM PST

•  I'm trying to figure out how to do that here (1+ / 0-)
      neroden

In SLC, UT. It's a tough slog, with Blue Dog Jim Matheson ensconced in his seat.

Thing is, if those we thought were progressive prove they are willing to roll over so easily, why bother?

I mean, I personally heard Obama talk about the public option in Bend. I personally heard him state it was a plank he would fight for.

And he simply hasn't. Until he fires Rahm, we simply don't matter.

"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." A. Einstein

by bewert on Thu Dec 17, 2009 at 04:34:42 PM PST

•  What happened to the org. you worked with (0+ / 0-)

during the campaign?

Poverty does not mean powerless. Unite!

by War on Error on Thu Dec 17, 2009 at 05:29:47 PM PST

•  Moved from Bend 17.2% UE back to SLC (0+ / 0-)

Developers spent $150K to take over the Bend City Council last election. Since they drove the economy into the ground in the first place, it was time to leave. Last City Council meeting they were discussing how not to cut fire and police. Hoping for stimulus money. (I'm still on the official emailing list.)

Great place to visit, though.

"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." A. Einstein

by bewert on Thu Dec 17, 2009 at 05:38:40 PM PST

•  My sister used to live in SLC. It may not (1+ / 0-)
        bewert

be as bad as you think, you folks had the sense to elect Rocky as mayor.

Matheson's up for reelection every even numbered year. Who do you know that can run? Not necessarily win, but run? File papers, collect signatures, get even a little corporate-media attention? Anyone willing to file for both 2010 and 2012? Because it will be at least a 2012 race that gets rid of Matheson, if then.

I don't know the district, but from what quickie numbers I've seen, if you win SLC, you win. I don't know how much influence St. George has, I'd have to spend serious time to even put together a plan, but someone in Utah can put together a serious primary challenge. All you need is the Bull Moose.

What's Rocky doing these days? What are you doing? Can you run? Anything you can be "outed" on? If you're not an avowed Atheist, and don't have secret gay lovers, you're pretty much okay through the primaries. You don't have to win, just work on moving the Overton window. And make some noise.

If not you, then again, who do you know? There are friends near you, trained in how to run campaigns, for that matter, I'm about 12 hours out of SLC, I've driven further to work on campaigns.

I don't know Matheson, except for what my sister has said, but I suspect a primary challenge from the left isn't uncalled for. You folks elected Rocky. I'm e-mail-able.

All evil needs to succeed is for good people to say "the votes aren't there in the Senate."

by Jacques on Thu Dec 17, 2009 at 05:35:57 PM PST

•  The Dem org really sucks (0+ / 0-)

It's inbred. That's what I'm trying to figure out how to change.

"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." A. Einstein

by bewert on Thu Dec 17, 2009 at 05:43:21 PM PST

•  Best bet is Pete Ashdown (0+ / 0-)

Founder of the first real Internet access org, XMission. I asked him about it. His email back:

As much as I'd like to see Matheson grow a spine, or a courageous Democrat get elected, I think all that defeating Matheson on the Democratic side would do is give easy access to a Chaffetz/Bishop style Republican.

"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." A. Einstein

by bewert on Thu Dec 17, 2009 at 06:02:59 PM PST

•  I lived here from 1984-2005 (0+ / 0-)

Moved to Bend hoping for a dynamic small city. Moved back here last spring.

"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." A. Einstein

by bewert on Thu Dec 17, 2009 at 08:06:00 PM PST

•  I am in Ogden (1+ / 0-)
        bewert

I vote, but it doesn't count. Want to get rid of Hatch too, but not a chance.
        And I don't think it is all Rahm. It is Obama. Only promise he has kept was the war one

Would the current HCR Bill have helped Obama's mom on her death bed? Wasn't that his passion for HCR?

by snoopydawg on Thu Dec 17, 2009 at 06:35:41 PM PST

•  Right (1+ / 0-)
      bewert
      Because the next guys will be sooooo much better. I already voted for change.