View Diary: Breaking: McConnell Unable to Hold Caucus on Financial Reform (342 comments)

•  This is what else happened to McConnell (31+ / 0-)

I'm posting this in every Diary about him. He needs to go down.

From HuffPost today:

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is "unabashedly courting Wall Street bankers for political money" and "happy to scratch their backs if they'll scratch his," opines McConnell's hometown newspaper, the Lexington Herald-Leader, in an unusually strong rebuke.

In a staff editorial headlined "McConnell to big banks' rescue," the Herald-Leader decries McConnell's pandering to Wall Street executives and repeated use of the catch phrases outlined in an anti-financial reform memo written by pollster Frank Luntz. Here's a sample of the Herald-Leader's outrage:

McConnell's statements are perfectly calibrated to inflame the public. He insists the bill would "allow endless taxpayer-funded bailouts for big Wall Street banks."
    Their resemblance to the truth is another matter ...

McConnell, it should be remembered, voted for the bailout of the big investment banks in the fall of 2008, when it was the only alternative to global economic meltdown.

We have read that the Republicans have a plan for financial reform, but McConnell isn't talking up any solutions, just trashing the other side's ideas with no respect for the truth.

While the intricacies of financial regulation are complicated, McConnell's calculus is pretty obvious.

•  Is that the sound of the wheels falling off I'm (6+ / 0-)

hearing?

Pootie guardian ~ Woozle lover

by barkingcat on Thu Apr 15, 2010 at 01:25:32 PM PDT

•  Sure hope so. (7+ / 0-)

Also, Dodd and Boxer really beat him up (verbally, for lying) in the Senate this morning.

•  Dodd sounded a little bit like Teddy's minimum (12+ / 0-)

wage speech - he was angry.  Glad to hear Boxer taking this one too.  She's in a tight race and we in CA can't afford for her to lose her seat.

Pootie guardian ~ Woozle lover

by barkingcat on Thu Apr 15, 2010 at 01:37:09 PM PDT

•  Fiorina (4+ / 0-)
            JVolvo, phonegery, Jyrinx, majii

Now if Fiorina can be tied to this in any way, Boxer will be home free. I don't know the date she left HP; do you? The whole thing would be well worth researching.

From the WSJ:

The U.S. government has joined German and Russian authorities in investigating whether Hewlett-Packard Co. executives paid millions of dollars in bribes to win a contract in Russia, according to people familiar with the matter.

The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and Justice Department are investigating whether H-P committed any violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, these people said, as part of a widening probe ...

•  Boxer-Fiorina: Here ya go (3+ / 0-)
            JVolvo, CuriousBoston, barkingcat

Just saw this at TPM:

Yesterday I noted that Russia and Germany were investigating alleged bribery by HP executives back in 2003 when now-Senate candidate Carly Fiorina was the company's CEO. The alleged bribery was part of an effort to secure a major contract with the Russian government. Now comes news that the Securities and Exchange Commission is joining the investigation as part of their jurisdiction under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. The Journal says it's "part of a widening probe into the company's activities."

I can't see how that's a good thing for Fiorina's Senate campaign.

•  I feel slimed just looking at her (1+ / 0-)
              RhodaA

Pootie guardian ~ Woozle lover

by barkingcat on Thu Apr 15, 2010 at 04:37:17 PM PDT

•  Good info. Good timing for the election. (1+ / 0-)
              barkingcat

SEC, Justice, Russia, Germany. She's going to be busy appearing in front of Congress. Maybe she'll be lucky enough to answer questions from Barney Frank.

Coffee table, meet very articulate and learned Congressman. Prepared to ask very laid back and gimme questions-not.

ELECT BETTER POLITICIANS: NOTIFY DNCC AND INCUMBENTS, WHEN YOU DONATE AND WORK. PRAGMATIC PROGRESSIVES; THE CAT FOR CHANGE.

by CuriousBoston on Thu Apr 15, 2010 at 07:02:03 PM PDT

•  Pesky internet (19+ / 0-)

Some enterprising cub reporter at the Herald-Leader must have sent that bit about parroting Luntz straight up to his editor.

You wouldn't have seen this in an editorial ten years ago:

Interestingly, McConnell is disparaging the proposed reforms in words recommended by a pollster.

"If the outline of his speech sounds familiar," wrote Adam Sorensen on Time's political blog, "it's because it is the exact argument pollster Frank Luntz urged Republicans to make earlier this year in a widely publicized memo."

•  Bernie Sanders (16+ / 0-)

and the other Dem Senators are really using the Lunz memo against McConnell and the rest of the thugs and liars. It's really great to see and hear on C-Span. If this continues,those old, rusty, crappy wheels just might come off.

•  That Luntz memo struck me as weak, (8+ / 0-)

uncharacteristically so.

I mean, Luntz's greatest hits have been framings that contain a nugget of truth: the “death tax,” “rationing,” “government takeover,” and other phrases that make very selective use of context and are calibrated to connote very bad things but which nonetheless are hard to refute in terms of bare semantics: The estate tax is the tax paid on death (just not most people's deaths), and HCR does entail rationing (just much smarter and fairer rationing than what goes on now) and a (partial) government takeover. (The last is more tenuous than the others, but Luntz gets away with it because rhetoric about government overreach has gotten so detached from reality as it is.)

But trying to call a regulation bill another big bank bailout?! Where's the kernel of truth there? Maybe they can explain what they mean in a little spiel, but if you need a spiel to explain your framing, it's bad framing. Besides, going after the Dems for being too weak in passing regulation leaves them doubly vulnerable:

1. It leaves them in a decidedly weak position if (cross your fingers) we do strengthen the bill
        1. It raises the question of why the GOP would be blocking the bill en masse for not doing enough. I mean, if they had a proposal and were holding out for stronger regulations (hah!), then they could threaten to kill it as a bargaining stance, but clearly they just want to kill it.

Am I missing something here, or did Luntz really phone this one in?

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” — Emma Goldman

by Jyrinx on Thu Apr 15, 2010 at 02:24:46 PM PDT

•  Maybe (1+ / 0-)
          Jyrinx

he just got too smug and sloppy. I think it was just a lose-lose for the GOP no matter what.

•  Could be. (2+ / 0-)
            Dartagnan, RhodaA

Still. I feel a bit weird criticizing Frank Luntz. Much as I'm fond of semantics and language and messaging, I feel like I'm telling Einstein that special relativity was great, but general relativity is just too weird so he must be wrong.

Normally I'm quite comfortable disagreeing with knowledgeable people — sometimes they're wrong, and I'm willing to risk being wrong myself. But in this case, he seems so plainly wrong, and his strategies are so insidious, that I worry about what I could possibly be missing.

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” — Emma Goldman

by Jyrinx on Thu Apr 15, 2010 at 02:41:35 PM PDT

•  Here's how I see it - for now (5+ / 0-)
              Vicky, JVolvo, Dartagnan, Jyrinx, CuriousBoston

Things could change.

The Dems got ahold of Luntz' Memo. When Dodd lashed out at McConnell yesterday on the floor, he read parts of Luntz' aloud and asked for it to be placed int he congressional record. Dodd was not holding back his anger one bit, and he still isn't. After HCR passed the Dems got their courage back. Luntz is not smarter than the Dems, the GOP and their liars were just bolder and more brazen.

Actually, the truth is "smarter" than lies because the truth has the facts to back it up. The Dems just needed to show some guts.

•  Luntz's memo wasn't a secret, (4+ / 0-)
                JVolvo, Dartagnan, RhodaA, CuriousBoston

or at least not a well-kept one. He circulates those memos far and wide, both to contribute to Republican strategy and to advertise for his firm (which does the same wordsmithing tricks for private clients).

So yeah, I certainly agree we're doing a better job this time at fighting back (I can only hope it's better enough). I just wish I could get rid of this sneaking suspicion that there's something clever I'm not seeing …

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” — Emma Goldman

by Jyrinx on Thu Apr 15, 2010 at 02:52:55 PM PDT

•  Now you got me wondering ... (1+ / 0-)
                  Jyrinx

Also, I wrote a post about Fiorina a little bit above under this thread. What do you think?

•  Heh … yeah, I read about that :-) (1+ / 0-)
                    RhodaA

I hope the story has legs, 'cause yeah … OTOH, you can't do business in Russia without bribing people. So we'll see who does a better job demagoguing this scandal :-D

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” — Emma Goldman

by Jyrinx on Thu Apr 15, 2010 at 03:01:33 PM PDT

•  Wow (3+ / 0-)
                      JVolvo, Dartagnan, Jyrinx

Just saw this on TPM:

I can't see how that's a good thing for Fiorina's Senate campaign.

•  Private equity firms. (2+ / 0-)
      indres, RhodaA

Hedge fund managers, private equity firms, and others are really hoping to keep the gravy train rolling.

After all, why not donate $1 billion when you get to keep $10 billion by blocking reform?

It's a no brainer.

Full Disclosure: I am not Ben Leming. But I think he's pretty cool.

by Benintn on Thu Apr 15, 2010 at 01:49:58 PM PDT

•  Now that's the stuff! (1+ / 0-)
      RhodaA

• Law (19)
  • Media (19)
  • 2016 (16)
  • Science (16)
  • Politics (15)
  • Environment (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site