View Diary: "Honor" Killings: Two-Day Old Baby Girl Buried (329 comments)

•  Ironically..... (1+ / 0-)
    Eric Nelson

....you have not shown the same restraint you advocate. You hide-rated my earlier comment the intent of which was to express fear and concern about fundamentalism. These beliefs about "honor" are often grounded in religious fanaticism, and not just "tribalism". Religious fanaticism is a danger, worldwide.

Sadly, you chose to exercise your presumed moral superiority by hiding my initial comment from the community under the guise that it was a "threat" to the community.

Openly discussing the cultural and religious foundations for the tragedy that occurred here is not a threat to the community. Indeed, it is the strength of the community.

I have been around here awhile, am a valued member of this community and I ask that you try a little harder to understand my concerns and my point of reference.

I say that the underlying problem here is rooted in fundamentalism.

If you hate government, don't run for office.

by Bensdad on Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 09:52:18 PM PDT

•  a lot of people hide-rated that comment. nt (0+ / 0-)

ORGANIZE early, ORGANIZE often.

by bicycle Hussein paladin on Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 10:02:16 PM PDT

•  That would be three. n/t (0+ / 0-)

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -- Abraham Lincoln

by Alice Olson on Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 10:04:20 PM PDT

•  You have uprated a seriously bigoted (1+ / 0-)
          bicycle Hussein paladin

posting, which is a violation of one of the community rules of conduct we have here.

I'd like you to remove your uprating of that post.

•  shpilk...... (3+ / 0-)

...please restrain yourself and let the dialog take place. This is an important discussion to have and your censorship is having a deleterious and distracting effect on the thread.

"Bigotry" is just name calling. Try and spell out why you think a given comment is bigoted and motivated by animus, if you can. That helps others learn. I have said some stupid things here --you have too-- but telling someone why a comment is bigoted is more informative than simply suppressing the comment. We learn from those discussions. I personally have learned from you in those discussion and am a more thoughtful person for it. Let the conversation continue and be part of it....and not the the destroyer of worlds or ripper of privileges.

If you hate government, don't run for office.

by Bensdad on Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 10:27:50 PM PDT

•  I know that you believe this is true. (1+ / 0-)
            CherryTheTart

I didn't read serious bigotry into the comment and I thought the HRs were out of place, so I recced to offer some balance to the HRs.

Sorry.  I think we're not going to agree about this.

by Alice Olson on Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 10:38:46 PM PDT

•  Bigotry will be hide rated when I see it. (1+ / 0-)
      Shhs

Your comment was bigoted, and you have a track record of making similar comments in the past. I find that unacceptable.

There is nothing ironic about my statement, at all.

•  I am a valued member of this community.... (2+ / 0-)
        snackdoodle, CherryTheTart

...I have been around for a very long time, and I have no such track record. You simply do not like my point of view which is that this child's murder was the inevitable result of a twisted, fundamentalist view of morality and my view that we need to be alert for any signs of our heading in that direction: such as the murder of Dr. George Tiller.

I believe that the subjugation of women is one of the danger signals and that certain expressions constitute the subjugation of women. Although there is a contrary viewpoint, I am not alone in this view at all. It is being debated by reasonable, liberal people throughout Europe. Socialists!

Societies, or pockets of society, that subjugate women send us down a slippery slope. The subject of this diary is the result.

Take care you don't cultivate a reputation for suppressing views you don't like under the guise of calling them out as "bigotry" -- just the sort of moral superiority you caution against our assuming.

Always error on the side of more speech. Not less.

If you hate government, don't run for office.

by Bensdad on Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 10:20:57 PM PDT