View Diary: Sen. Corker (R-TN) to GOP on financial reform: "You've got to be kidding me." (update x4) (262 comments)

•  Well (1+ / 0-)
    banana pancakes

the Tennessee electorate is pretty conservative, both socially and economically.  I'd be surprised if Corker had any trouble in a year when Obama is running.  Obama got destroyed in Tennessee in 2008.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'm just a piano player, but tonight God is in the house." --Fats Waller, upon recognizing Art Tatum in the crowd

by wildcat6 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 08:45:56 AM PDT

•  But chances are the local GOP (6+ / 0-)

will have failed in 2012.  I think things are gonna shift - the local Democrats in TN are looking at a 3-5 year strategy (the clock started in 2009) to swing things back.

I don't know that Tennesseans are really all that conservative.  I mean, we like having the bills paid and we're not big fans of taxes.  But even the GOP in Tennessee is making a libertarian shift right now.

Full Disclosure: I am not Ben Leming. But I think he's pretty cool.

by Benintn on Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 08:50:02 AM PDT

•  Really? (0+ / 0-)

In the heart of the bible belt?

I don't live there and it sounds like you do, but it would be a big surprise to me if religious conservatives suddenely decided to mind their own business and keep their rules out of people's bedrooms.  Either that, or they're shrinking in numbers.

Care to shed some light?

by wildcat6 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 08:56:04 AM PDT

•  This is an entire book, not just a comment. (0+ / 0-)

But let me start here:

1.  There is nothing that precludes Democrats from being socially conservative.  For instance, the idea that healthcare is a basic human right is a very Democratic idea, and resonates with "Bible belt" Christians.
          1.  The belief, in the wake of Bush's failure of compassionate conservatism, is that federal government can't do anything good.  It's fatally flawed.  Therefore, just let government "go to hell in a handbasket" and make the federal government as small as possible.
          1.  The "bedroom" issues really aren't that important to Bible Belt Christians.  Think for a minute about how many "Christian" leaders - from Ted Haggard to Mark Sanford to John Ensign - have strayed into sexual impropriety.  The argument is, "Men have needs" and so there's a willingness to overlook sexual sins rather than look like total hypocrites.

Full Disclosure: I am not Ben Leming. But I think he's pretty cool.

by Benintn on Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 10:01:25 AM PDT

•  The problem is EAST TN, really. (4+ / 0-)

West TN almost elected Harold Ford instead of Corker in 2006.

Yeah, I know, Ford is not exactly worthy of Dem love, but the fact that he came so close in the state where the KKK was founded should give you some idea of the red/blue distribution, IF blue does the GOTV effectively.

An honest man in politics shines more there than he would elsewhere - Mark Twain.

by AreDeutz on Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 08:58:07 AM PDT

•  You're right. (0+ / 0-)

Tennessee has become FAR more conservative since the 1990s when the state's electoral votes went for Clinton in 1992 and 1996.

Perfect example: I live in Blue Dog Bart Gordon's district, which went for McCain for something like 60-40. He's been in the House for 20 years, and even ran UNOPPOSED in 2008. Now that he's retiring, I'll have a teabagger representing me in Congress. Tennessee is a lost cause now and most likely for years to come.

I would rather be lucky than good any day.

by banana pancakes on Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 09:33:06 AM PDT

• Freddie Gray (23)
  • Education (23)
  • Rescued (23)
  • Republicans (22)
  • Politics (22)
  • Health Care (21)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site