View Diary: I Came Back From Cuba Today (265 comments)

•  Cool political cartoon up on Granma, btw (10+ / 0-)

"You don't go into gay bars to discuss politics with Chris Matthew's."

by Anak on Tue May 18, 2010 at 08:15:11 PM PDT

•  Very, very loose translation (8+ / 0-)

for those who don't know Spanish.

Teacher: Today I will talk about the black stain that is seriously affecting our country. Do you know what that is?

Pupils: The racist laws of Arizona? The torture of prisoners? The protection of killers like Posada and Carriles? The invasion of Iraq? Etc....

"You don't go into gay bars to discuss politics with Chris Matthew's."

by Anak on Tue May 18, 2010 at 08:33:10 PM PDT

•  I had to look up mancha (6+ / 0-)

but I got most of the rest of it!

It really is a crazy thing. We've sold ourselves to China, but little ol' Cuba is a scary threat!

There's a reason Democrats won massively the last two cycles, and it wasn't because people were desperate for "bipartisanship". --kos

by Debby on Tue May 18, 2010 at 09:51:20 PM PDT

•  Cool that you looked up that word, (4+ / 0-)
          Avila, Debby, eightlivesleft, cybrestrike

Debby. That's the way to go!

When I tell my intermediate Spanish students that I learned my first Spanish word when I was 31 years old, they just don't believe me.

Learning foreign languages as an adult is not some far off dream. In fact, we can do it better than anyone who is not a pre-pubescent taking regular classes or living for a good deal of time in a foreign country. The only thing is that adults get all crusty and set in their ways and sorta mentally block out the idea of learning another language or of producing sounds that don't exist in their native language.

"You don't go into gay bars to discuss politics with Chris Matthew's."

by Anak on Wed May 19, 2010 at 12:01:43 AM PDT

•  I took (2+ / 0-)
            cybrestrike, Anak

lots of Spanish in school. I loved it! I've lost a lot of it now but would really like to take some classes to get it back. I work with the public and very occasionally, I encounter an only-Spanish speaker, usually an adorable little grandmother who I'd love to be able to communicate with. I actually made it one of my official work goals, on my permanent record!, for the year so keep your fingers crossed for me!

by Debby on Wed May 19, 2010 at 05:46:17 AM PDT

•  Too true. (1+ / 0-)
            Anak

When I was stationed in Panama during my time in the Army, I picked up Spanish by watching telenovelas, talking to taxi drivers (who were really cool with teaching it), and I dated a woman who didn't speak English at all (long story).  I even watched Baywatch subtitled in Spanish on AFN and read a lot of magazines.  A year later, and I was pretty close to fluent.

It's been a while since I've had to speak it on a regular basis, but I can follow most conversations and still speak some when I need to.

"Grow up Democrats. Face the music. Do it alone. You're the majority." -- Rachel Maddow

by cybrestrike on Wed May 19, 2010 at 06:42:34 AM PDT