View Diary: 19 Is The New 420 (285 comments)

•  Exactly! Check my .SIG. (9+ / 0-)

Illegal cannabis is one of the ways the Mexican Mafia, La Eme, keeps itself strong. People would rather smoke the produce of Humboldt County than Mexican dirt weed anyway. So yeah, vote for Prop 19 and put the Mexican gangsters out of business.

The next OneCare Happy Hour will be 7/30/10
    Californians! Bum out "La Eme," vote YES on Prop 19.

by Pris from LA on Wed Jun 30, 2010 at 07:33:09 AM PDT

•  If I make about 96k per year (1+ / 0-)
      MeToo

what would be the best city for me to move too? CA is huge and I have no clue what would be a nice place to live in adt a cost I can afford.. One preferably wiht some public transportation if I did eventually lose my site.. god forbid.

•  VEGAS BABY NT (0+ / 0-)
      •  Hard to say since I don't know you but (2+ / 0-)
        bablhous, ShowMe Indie

be aware that SoCal and NoCal are basically separate countries.  Once you figure out which one speaks to you more, then you can start zeroing in on cities.

But my generic advice to you, if you're interested in the West Coast/California vibe and your job travels with you, is to take that 96K and live well in Oregon.

You couldn't load a pistol with dormitive virtue and shoot it into a breakfast-roll - CS Pierce

by Mr Raymond Luxury Yacht on Wed Jun 30, 2010 at 08:53:32 AM PDT

•  OR and WA (10+ / 0-)

Are both looking to follow California's lead on this issue--Washington has Initiative 1068 which is still being qualified for the ballot in November and the Oregon Cannabis Tax Act 2010 is likewise still getting signatures to put it on the ballot.  If we can get all three states' measures qualified and voted in next election the whole Left Coast will Go Green, sending  a pretty powerful message to the rest of the country.  Then we'll start raking in the bucks on pot tourism, which will send an even clearer message in the only language politicians understand--$$$ish!

Oregonians--if you haven't signed on OCTA yet the deadline is today because sigs have to be turned in by COB tomorrow--so get on it!  You can print out a signature sheet here.

"Nothing's wrong, son, look at the news!" -- Firesign Theater

by SmartAleq on Wed Jun 30, 2010 at 09:17:08 AM PDT

•  I think your right about marijuana tourism (5+ / 0-)

There are more benefits for California and other states who lead, in addition to the tax revenue and reductions in costs of enforcement. I used to live in Calif and will gladly travel back just to smoke my first legal joint in this country. I've been waiting 40 years to do that. Sure hope 2010 is the year!

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

by reflectionsv37 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 at 11:50:32 AM PDT

•  Considering how spendy... (4+ / 0-)

Travelling to Europe is right now, and how modest most American's vacation plans are likely to be for the foreseeable future, I can see this becoming a very real likelihood.  The Left Coast is chock full of beautiful scenery, fun stuff to do and cool people (especially the PNW, of course!) and adding in legal weed, pot cafes and hemp products to encourage stressed out, pissed off tourists from the red states to come out and take a load off and chill a bit could go a long way toward fixing our local economies AND influencing saner voting in other states as well.  Win!

"Nothing's wrong, son, look at the news!" -- Firesign Theater

by SmartAleq on Wed Jun 30, 2010 at 12:40:22 PM PDT

•  excellent (2+ / 0-)
                Calamity Jean, SmartAleq

that really will happen, you know; mr. and mrs. fred will be in ca for a niece's wedding, and they'll stop at a cafe while looking around the town, and voila! new users, or at least they'll have a good story to tell their friends back home

although i know people who say they don't like it because they get "anxious"

probably because it's been (up to now) illegal...

•  Is that thermometer right? (1+ / 0-)
            SmartAleq

6 thousand out of 125 thousand needed?

"Israel does not any longer occupy the West Bank or Gaza. They left." Rep. Weiner

by JesseCW on Wed Jun 30, 2010 at 03:04:43 PM PDT

•  I don't think so... (1+ / 0-)
              JesseCW

Another branch of the company I was working for had the OCTA account and it was acquired after another sig gathering firm got sanctioned for dodgy pay schemes but we'd have heard if it was that much in trouble--I think the site just isn't updated properly, or the number is of officially approved signatures, not raw numbers.

"Nothing's wrong, son, look at the news!" -- Firesign Theater

by SmartAleq on Wed Jun 30, 2010 at 04:21:41 PM PDT

•  Ya (4+ / 0-)

We're in SoCal for job reasons, and it's pretty damned conservative.  We have some great lib friends, and there is a strong GLBT community, but nothing like up north.

Northern coast would be my ideal spot to put down a stake...

It gets so hard to keep between the ditches when the roads wind the way they do. - Drive-By Truckers, "Heathens"

by ShowMe Indie on Wed Jun 30, 2010 at 09:32:13 AM PDT

•  But you have sun :-) (1+ / 0-)
            lazbumm

After three sunny days total in 90 days of spring in Portland this year, I was about ready to move to San Diego, Republicans and all...!

by Mr Raymond Luxury Yacht on Wed Jun 30, 2010 at 10:02:07 AM PDT

•  I didnt think the rain (0+ / 0-)

would ever stop. this is my second year in portland and it wasnt this bad last summer.

May there be peace on earth and may it begin with me

by lazbumm on Wed Jun 30, 2010 at 11:08:20 AM PDT

•  It's usually not that bad (1+ / 0-)
                lazbumm

The winter was fine as Oregon winter goes, but this spring was the worst I've seen in my ~15 years in the state - of course, I moved in right after the Pineapple Express floods in the Spring of 96, which was definitely the crappiest spring ever.

So, hang in there.  Next year will be better, unless it's not.

by Mr Raymond Luxury Yacht on Wed Jun 30, 2010 at 11:21:06 AM PDT

•  Yeah, I was getting mighty tired... (1+ / 0-)
                  lazbumm

Of "Juneuary!"  This has been an unrelentingly crappy spring, compounded by that unseasonably gorgeous weather back in March/April.  We got a taste and had it yanked away!  The PNW weather goddess is a fickle wench...

"Nothing's wrong, son, look at the news!" -- Firesign Theater

by SmartAleq on Wed Jun 30, 2010 at 12:45:16 PM PDT

•  True (0+ / 0-)

Lotsa sun, and not nearly the crowdedness they have up in LA.  Things are rather laid back in SD.

by ShowMe Indie on Wed Jun 30, 2010 at 02:47:31 PM PDT

•  Look at Davis... great place all around... humans (0+ / 0-)

and animals alike are treated well. My daughter was born there- great place.... in many ways I wish I never left.

The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution. Paul Cezanne

by MeToo on Wed Jun 30, 2010 at 10:39:09 AM PDT

•  Thanks to you all. (5+ / 0-)

I am very excited abou thtis .. the thought of me becoming a criminal here is too much for me. I want to be free and be able to see. My eyes went with no treatment from 20/250 to 20/50 just on the cannabis. It is a miricle. I had not seen a smile for a year or a cloud, the moon.. and I thought when I saw the dew on a leaf I would expload with joy. Thank you MM.