View Diary: The Iraq Election: Defining Success (489 comments)

•  It (4.00)
    is not overblown, and it is a HUGE issue in that region.

Turkey does not want a Kurdish state, and no, it wouldn't be better.

The Kurds are the largest minority in the world that does NOT have their own country, and they have populations in Turkey, Iran, Iraq and other neighboring areas.

None of the existing countries in that area want to see a Kurdish state created, and creating one will cause futher political turmoil in what is increasingly becoming an unstable region.

Read up on the history of the Kurds and Turkey, this issue is not way overblown.

"September 11, 2001, already a day of immeasurable tragedy, cannot be the day liberty perished in this country." Judge Gerald Tjoflat

by SanJoseLady on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 09:57:23 AM PST

•  We have to do something different (none)
      This is the best choice available.  We could make it work.  If we established a relatively small US presence in Kurdistan and guaranteed the stability of the situation, we would still be involved, yes, but not to the extent we are now.  We could pull out most of our forces--which is the most important thing to me, personally.  I think it could be done--and it would be a lot better than the situation we're in now.

To his virtues be very kind, to his vices, very blind. moralquestionsblog.com

by Descrates on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 10:23:08 AM PST

•  That (none)
        is exactly how we got into this Iraq mess, determining that "we" know what is best for everyone involved.

Do I personally think the Kurds should have their own country? Yes.  Do I think it will ever happen?  No.

What would be "best" is for Iraq to become a nation that is truely ONE nation (though I don't see that happening either), instead of the three it really is right now.

We would end up being far more "involved" than you realize, as it is not just about the Kurds and Turkey, it would involve the whole region.  You think things are bad now?  Create an independent Kurdish nation and all hell breaks loose.

It wouldn't be better than now, it would be worse.  As has been stated:  the northern part of Iraq has oil, as does the south and NOT the middle.  If the kurds are allowed to create their own nation, the shiites will want to do so as well, in the south, which leaves the Sunnis in the middle with no natural resources to speak of, as well as being squeezed from both sides.

Please read the history of the region and you will see that your "solution" just isn't what it appears.

by SanJoseLady on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 01:44:36 PM PST

•  I'm well enough aware of the history of the region (none)
          Are an expert on Turkish history?  Unless you have detailed knowledge of the situation, I just don't see your point unilateerally ruling out such an option.  From where I stand, it's common sense.  Either we act to get our boys out of there or we leave them there to die for the next 5-10 years.  Sorry, I'm not playing that game.  I was Marine squadleader. I know what these guys are feeling.

To his virtues be very kind, to his vices, very blind. moralquestionsblog.com

by Descrates on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 04:03:18 PM PST

•  No (none)
            I am not an "expert" but have recently taken a class in Middle Eastern politics, as well as having read a number of books on the subject.

While your intent is to get our tropps out of the area, doing what you suggest would have the exact opposite effect.

Again, I ask you to read up on the area before you make assertions of "common sense."

I may not have been a Marine sqaudleader, but I do know that doing what you propose is sure to leave our guys there to die for eternity.

Just, please, use some "common sense" and read about the history and current political situation of the Kurds.

No one is unilaterally ruling out the Kurds oneday having their own state, what is being ruled out is the United States creating that nation (Iraq was created by the British, and look what a great job they did.)

by SanJoseLady on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 04:38:20 PM PST

•  If no civil war leading to (none)
      separate states, then you have the option/likely realy of bringing a Saddam style strongman back to power.  Maybe that is why the more knowledgable Bush I stayed away from toppling Saddam.

Hey, it is one or the other unless true divine intervention comes about, IMO

Political censorship is the root of all evil! It is the antithesis to a functional democracy!!

by truthbetold on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 11:27:14 AM PST