View Diary: The Iraq Election: Defining Success (489 comments)

•  Turkey (none)
    Turkey can stop it, because over a 1/3 of Turkey is Kurdish. That's the problem.

Its the annexation of TURKEY that's the problem, not Kurdistan. The US wouldnt be IN turkey, it would be civil war, potentially, political insecurity for sure, and terrorism ala basque sepratists.

It isnt Kurdistan that needs protecting, its turkey from itself.

Kurdistan would surely (i think) support the annexation (unless they could be persuaded not to somehow) that is how war between Turkey and the Kurds in Kurdistan would come about. Thats only the secondary consideration.

The US would then be right between 2 allies. Pick a side or leave em go at it ?

I am a Reform Democrat

by Pounder on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 10:37:52 AM PST

•  We have to make a choice here (none)
      We can do what we can--and there are a few things we can do--maintain as much stability as possible in the region.  But I don't think we should continue in the situation we're in.  I think we should take most of our troops home as soon as possible.  This is the best way to do it.  Iraq is virtually governmentless.  Turkey has a long established government and is far likelier to survive any any instability that should occur.  At a certain point we have to take care of our people.   I understand that point of cleaning up the mess we made, but these soldiers didn't make this choice.  They've been screwed and deserve to be sent home.  If we work with our allies and Turkey and the Kurd, I can imagine some solutions to the problems your talking about.  But this isn't working.  We need to do something new.  Its not a perfect option, but if we work hard enough, I think it can work.  It won't be perfect, but what is?

To his virtues be very kind, to his vices, very blind. moralquestionsblog.com

by Descrates on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 10:46:50 AM PST

•  what allies? (none)
        You are talking about Europes back yard. At this point Europeans aren't realy that concernd about the safety of US soldiers. You chose to get into this mess. I doubt the european union will be
        willing to help the US instead of supporting Turkey.

You know you're in trouble, when you've got to ask Dick Cheney to "cheer up" the voters.

by amsterdam on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 10:58:06 AM PST

•  I'm not denying it would be tough with these (none)
          guys in office.  A lot of this is wishful thinking of course, virually requiring a change of leadership.  But if it comes down leaving our guys in Iraq for another 4 years to die, I'd have to say let's try it for their sake.  If the Kurds pull out as the shia'hs and sunnis descend into choas, we'll be in the same boat anyway--only worse.

To his virtues be very kind, to his vices, very blind. moralquestionsblog.com

by Descrates on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 11:33:00 AM PST

•  I understand that you want these soldiers out (none)
            I just believe that any solution which can be interpreted by the Bush adminstration as a succes will only lead to more agression, and in the long run cause more deaths, including US military. I think Europe should start showing some backbone and stop assisting this administration in what it is doing to the Iraq's, Americans and the rest of the world.

by amsterdam on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 11:54:16 AM PST

•  My solution (none)
        Have the newly elected Iraqi government negotiate wit hthe insurgent political leadership, to descale the violence in exchange ofr a greater seat at the national political table.

ie have the shiites give up some of that 60% majority to the sunnis, and also cede more autonomy to the Kurds.

that's the play I expect to be called in the coming weeks and months. it MIGHT work.

I am a Reform Democrat

by Pounder on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 11:03:43 AM PST

•  Yeah, and while your at it (none)
          how about talking Israel into negotiating with the Palestinians to descale the violence in exchange for a greater seat at the national political table? It is a lot easier for us to say such things here when we aren't involved in the situation.